• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ghetto Air Filters

Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
907
Hey guys,

I'm wondering how well this would work.

Instead of getting actual fan filters, would cutting up an A\C filter and taping it around my fans, would it serve the same purpose? Or could it be a fire hazard if its inside the case? :)
 
Filters inside the case? Or vent and fan holes? A/C filters I believe are static. I found some Shop-Vac vacuum filters at Target for like $3 or something. A bit thick, but they're the only foam ones I've found so far.
 
I was thinking just cutting one filter to fit the whole side window.

Most likely just scotch taped in there, lol. Maybe it would be easier\safer to mount on the outside? =P

Just hoping to use your standard run of the mill air conditioning filter thing.
 
I used used Bounce for my filters before.. just need something better than regular tape. Check for your laundry :D
 
Cool, thanks lowteckh.

I'll head to Ace Hardware over the weekend and put up some pics when done! =P
 
That's actually a really cool idea.

You're talking about those fabric softener things right? lol...I love how those smell!
 
I'm thinking of going with cheese cloth, I'm afraid that the chemicals in the laundry things will eventually leave residue or something, lol.
 
The best material I've found is the pleated furnace/AC filters found in Home Depot, Walmart, etc. It usually comes in large sizes (20" X 20", etc.), but is easily cut to required size with scissors. My case flow is front-to-back, and I surface-mount a 5" X 6" piece in front of the input fan, with edges tape-sealed with clear 'invisible tape'.

Advantages:
- Very low flow resistance.
- Pleating significantly increases surface area.
- Pleating enhances noise-baffling (combination of thickness, pleating and non-planar surface).
- Surface-mounting gives at-a-glance feedback about filter state (how dirty/clean).
- Very easy to replace filter.

Disadvantages:
- Due to pleating, thickness is almost 1".
- Probably limited to surface-mounting only, due to thickness.

Hope this helps!
 
Can't bring myself to walk into a store and head for that section.
 
Can't bring myself to walk into a store and head for that section.

If you'll walk into the store and grab a pack of 'em then put 'em over your face... you'll get them for free :p

But for real now... pantyhose really do work really well... why do you think girls never have dusty legs.
 
How exactly would I mount the pantyhouse?

Would I need to take my fans off, and put them between the fan\case, over the fans that are mounted? Outside the case?

How!
 
How exactly would I mount the pantyhouse?

Would I need to take my fans off, and put them between the fan\case, over the fans that are mounted? Outside the case?

How!

I would imagine there would be many creative ways you could mount them... but I'll tell you how I did mine before.
I've actually done this in two different ways...
I cut a square from the hose a little larger than the 120mm fan I was mounting it on and then used a thick rubberband to wrap around the outside case of the fan, effectively holding the hose section in place (this works well, but you might need to check it every once in while to make sure it's still tight).
Then I've also used one of these and stretched the hose out inside it and let the excess hose spill out from the sides (you could trim if needed too).

Since some hose is pretty strong... you may also be able to stretch it over the fan tightly and just use the normal screws (through it) to hold it in place... but I've never actually tried this method.

Basically just make sure it's tight enough to not get caught in the spinning blades however you mount it.
It does a great job of filtering the junk and still letting the air flow through freely due to the consistency of the material.
 
Oh...I get it, just stretch it around, sweet!

Now, my only problem is getting the pantyhose out of Target without looking like a creep.

Should I maybe buy pantyhose, tampons and condoms? That way, it looks like I am getting stuff for my girlfriend or something!
 
Oh...I get it, just stretch it around, sweet!

Now, my only problem is getting the pantyhose out of Target without looking like a creep.

Should I maybe buy pantyhose, tampons and condoms? That way, it looks like I am getting stuff for my girlfriend or something!


what i do is try and buy pantyhose, various cosmetic items(make up, lipstick, etc), and high heels, and ive never been questioned.
 
You're very right mnewxcv!

I'm going to go with black pantyhose, a nice fire engine red lipstick and some purple blush!
 
Buy a jug of distilled water, a funnel and the hose... then you can tell them you use the hose to use as a filter... which is what you're really buying it for but since they don't sell fans at Target or WalMart, makes for an easier explanation :p
 
Can't bring myself to walk into a store and head for that section.

Don't tell me I'm more man than you are ;)

(now the guy section of a store... you won't catch me there :D )
 
Good idea's i think i'll have to try the pantyhose out. And why would you have to explain to anyone why you need em, or why the fuck do you care. When people look @ me weird when i'm buying condoms, my usual reply is ' yeah I'm going to use some tonight, would you care to join' they usually look away blushing :p
 
Good idea's i think i'll have to try the pantyhose out. And why would you have to explain to anyone why you need em, or why the fuck do you care. When people look @ me weird when i'm buying condoms, my usual reply is ' yeah I'm going to use some tonight, would you care to join' they usually look away blushing :p


i think youve never actually said that
 
just raid your girlfriend's pantyhose, or ask her to save you a pair when they run. Then your case will smell like her... hopefully in a good way.

Or buy fabric softener sheets, since they don't ask questions or give you funny looks that way. lol
 
I successfully bought pantyhose today!

My total purchase was 3 pairs of cheapo black pantyhose, 4 nerds ropes, a bag of dorritos and some jack daniels.

I think it went well!
 
Should have added chocolate sauce, whipped cream and strawberries to the list. You'd have made everyone else jealous.
 
anyone wanna pick up some pantyhose for me? all my local stores are OOS....so yeah... :p
 
Back
Top