GF wants an I-Mac. Can I build a PC and run a Mac OS on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gawd
First off, this is not intended to start a flame war or anything. We both have I-phones and I-pod thingy's so we aren't anti apple.

The girlfriends office uses macs exclusively. As she's used em more and more she's come to really like them. She'd like one for an x-mas present (She offered to split the cost..) I went to best buy and looked at the prices. $1350 cad?!?! For the cheapest one?!? Throw tax on that and it's a fucking $1500 computer. I will never spend near that much on a computer--I'd be hard pressed to even spend half that.

That got me to thinking, if it's running an intel processor. Why not just build a computer and throw whatever mac OS her office is running? I know it can be done, I just don't know how well it runs? Will she as a person who primarily uses a mac now be able to tell? If I get equivalent type hardware, will it run just as well? How much does the mac OS cost? (I guess that could be a huge hunk of the $1350 cost, seeing as the hardware is what, a half of that at best? If I were to build my own)

Thanks!

Not a topic for this board, since it's not strictly legal. Your Hackintosh will never run as well as an actual Mac, but they can be a fun toy to play with or a way for a power user to evaluate OS X without having to plunk down the cash.

If she wants a Mac to use a regular machine, just go get one. You won't need to spend nearly $1500 CAD on it unless you want an awesome one. A used Macbook or Mini might suit her fine and both can be had for $800 CAD or even less.

We're not really allowed to discuss hackintoshing here, but searching for tonymacx86 should give you what you're looking for

If she's a Mac person, I don't think she's going to be that happy with a Hackintosh. The hardware is going to be quite a bit different and even more simple things like keyboard are going to be one offs. Then, there's the other things like Thunderbolt.

There's always refurbished ones as well and as the other poster mentioned a laptop like the air that are light.

I co-sign what others have said. Getting her a hackintosh is just like when my mom bought me Sugar Flakes in that bag instead of the Frosted Flakes I asked for. :)

Hackintosh or there was a guy selling a 2013 mini for $475ish USD in the forums earlier this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back