GF wants a Bose PC speaker system....

Pinipig523

[H]ard|Gawd
So, the lovely gf commented that she liked the Bose Companion 3 speakers... I don't know what to do.

With Christmas approaching and being short on time - should I get it for her or not? If she said that she wants it, I figured who am I to argue?

Kinda sucks because they're real pricey at $249 and not the last word in most anything. *Sigh*.. caught in a rock and a hard place.

Thoughts, fellas?

Get her a set of Klipsch instead.

:D

In honesty? Give her what she wants, if she /really/ wants them. If you think she might've just mentioned it in passing kind of thing... get her something nicer in the same price range.

If she really wants them, get them for her! She will think they sound great and be happy she got what she wanted!

Are you brave enough get her something like the swan M10, then slap a Bose logo on it, then call it "Bose's new model" ?

Babe look! It's their new upgraded model !

lol j/k :D

get her a real set, bose are kaka. she will thank you for showing her the light

My guess is that she's at least five times as concerned with appearance than she is with sound quality.

She's a chick, after all. Get her exactly what she wants, or if you really want a "merry Christmas", then get her the more expensive Bose whatever. Just try your best to make sure she'll know it's more expensive. Leaving the receipt in a "stupid place" always works.

And candy and flowers and the usual chick shit, of course.

tell her you did a tonne of research, like hours and hours and went with the Klipsch 2.1's based on this research. she' will NOT be disappointed. for extra points, get her a decent sound card to really stretch them klipsch wonders.

Bose sucks and there is really no disputing that fact. The people that have Bose fall into one of several categories:

1. Whipped by their wife/gf and on a very short leash (a.k.a. “these small little speakers look nice, you can barely even see them, and they match the curtains!”)

2. They “heard” from their “friends” that Bose made good speakers and/or their “friends” just bought Bose and it tarnished their ego so they need to get them too. Due to Bose speakers being ridiculously overpriced, people constantly feel the need to brag about them to make themselves feel better about their purchase.

3. They were conned into believing they sound good after going into a Bose “showroom” that is deceptively setup to make their speakers sound better than they ever would in any real-world environment. Generally people don’t know any better once they get them home because they were upgrading from basically nothing before.

Do the right thing… Would you buy a rebranded Geforce 4 MX for your GF’s computer because it came colored pink?

Once upon a time, there was the Bose 901... and it was not crap. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I got my girlfriend a necklace and a mini mouse for her laptop.

She's cheap generally but I don't want to set her up with crap so I spend the extra and go with that sweet little logitech over the stupid retarded kensington.

GOD @$@# DOUBLE POSTS!

[H] has been really pissy with me lately... hmm.

Anyway, I'll use this opportunity to actually add to the topic as I was going to edit the original post to do so but came to see this happened instead, awesome.

Umm, yeah, get her the Bose, it's what she wants, and it's unlikely you'll ever have to hear it anyway if you get it for her *hehe*

Once upon a time, there was the Bose 901... and it was not crap. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Lol you mean those speakers with like 8 4” drivers that lacks bass so badly that you have to use a proprietary equalizer with just to “fix” the sound? They were marketed as being something like surround speakers with the idea that throwing sound arbitrarily in every direction is a good thing, it’s not.

Get her a set of klipsch promedia ultra 2.1's. There quite nice, aesthetically pleasing, won't break the bank, and are just plain awesome compared to bose. Tell her the truth that you were looking after her and you beleive bose is terrible quality and their business ethics are bed and she will hopefully agree

get her a real set, bose are kaka. she will thank you for showing her the light

i am sure she wants them because of the looks, not how they sound....

if you get her something else and try to tell her they are SO much better she will just not like them because they arent the ones SHE wanted, also she prob isnt the type to klnow the diff between other mentioned and the bose, why she said she wanted the bose.

Thank you MrGuvernment. I'm disappointed in how many of you are cock blockers. You should all be ashamed.

Thank you MrGuvernment. I'm disappointed in how many of you are cock blockers. You should all be ashamed.

And some of these guys wonder why they dont have g/f's :)

what is the point of her asking for some specifically if you are going to throw your ego round and try to tell her diff, that what she wanted was shit, and this is better., it doesnt work that way guys!! She asks for something, get it, women dont think logically, but emotionally, it will never make sense to us, so just go with it!

Spend the money, and she will love you for ever, or at least for that day, and everytime she uses them, thinks of you and "he got me what i wanted!!! YAY!!" and then you can kick your self when she asks for that expensive watch, or necklace ;)

get the bose.

It'll definitely sound better than the cyber-acoustics she has now, so theres really no harm in doing so. Ignorance is bliss.

oh pini... you of all should know better... I say find an altec equivalent have her a do a blind test... if she can tell them apart then go ahead and get her them... I mean really altec and bose are very similar... only difference is altec will charge you what they are actually worth.

Well, if you get her some speakers like klipsch, she might not like it at all, no matter how nice they sound. I would get her something different instead os speakers.

Sheeesshhh MAN ....Buy the damn speakers SHE wants.... She a cheap date now.... just wait till you MARRY HER....that tail gets more expensive!!! :eek: :D :D :D

you sure its really computer speakers she wants for Christmas...? if so, then another vote for the bose

if she likes the bose, you get her the bose.

there very well may be better performing speakers out there for the money - but that's not what she said she wanted.

bose it up sir ++

also, i'd like to type bose 2 more times in this post.
bose bose

good luck man

or like the other guy said, get something else besides speakers..

If you get speakers, it's a lose-lose situation... you get her overpriced, overhyped speakers that your girlfriend might like, or you get good speakers, that your girlfriend .. I'm guessing she'd still appreciate it, but she probably would wished she would've gotten the better speakers that she wanted..

Buy her a set of $249 speakers that are not bose.

Then say that you did a ton of research and went to (number over 5) speaker stores, and all the signs pointed at (speakers you bought) instead of bose, even though "these speakers cost more"

also, +1 to the swan m10 + bose sticker.

Thanks for the input all.... I'm going to have to divulge that I went with the majority.

If she hasn't seen the light with my speakers, there's no hope as it is. Bose it is!! :)

Thanks for the input all.... I'm going to have to divulge that I went with the majority.

If she hasn't seen the light with my speakers, there's no hope as it is. Bose it is!! :)

You should have said; "in order for you to have the same quality as my electrostats you will have to get this:...." and then explain to her how electrostatic speakers work and she will get really confused and then she will just say fuck it and be confused and will just say I will stick with the speakers I have now.

BINGO!!!!

You should have said; "in order for you to have the same quality as my electrostats you will have to get this:...." and then explain to her how electrostatic speakers work and she will get really confused and then she will just say fuck it and be confused and will just say I will stick with the speakers I have now.

BINGO!!!!

Electrostats aren't confusing enough. Explain plasma ribbon tweeters to her.

Electrostats aren't confusing enough. Explain plasma ribbon tweeters to her.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

See, as soon as you just throw in some weird terms together they don't even want to hear it.

Pinipig, just show her this:

Parts of what follows below were actually painful to write. However, because of the ongoing misinformation campaigns launched by dynamic speakers and its lapdogs, I feel it is my duty to write this. But before I continue, allow me to explain that dynamic speaker's conjectures will cause more harm than good. Let me try to explain what I mean by that in a single sentence: Some people say that that isn't sufficient evidence to prove that dynamic speakers is secretly scheming to dismantle national civil rights organizations by driving a wedge between the leaders and the rank-and-file members. And I must agree; one needs much more evidence than that. But the evidence is there, for anyone who isn't afraid to look at it. Just look at the way that it's not averse to turning riffraff loose against us good citizens. Do I blame society for this? No, I blame dynamic speakers.

If dynamic speakers were to get its hands on the levers of power it'd immediately destabilize the already volatile social fabric that it purportedly aims to save. If you don't believe me then consider that the space remaining in this letter will not suffice even to enumerate the ways in which it has tried to create a dynamic speakers-centric society in which jackbooted, sex-crazed sad sacks dictate the populace's values and myths, its traditions and archetypes. I wonder what would happen if dynamic speakers really did perpetrate acts of the most antisocial character. There's a spooky thought. If dynamic speakers can one day recover the dead past by annihilating the living present then the long descent into night is sure to follow. There's an important difference between me and dynamic speakers. Namely, I am willing to die for my cause. Dynamic speakers, in contrast, is willing to kill for its -- or, if not to kill, at least to accelerate our descent into the cesspool of corporatism. Finally, no letter about dynamic speakers would be complete without mention of some of the utterly querulous schemes that dynamic speakers supports. Although there are a plenitude of examples from which to choose, the most querulous would have to be dynamic speaker's proposal to plague our minds. That's the sort of thing that keeps me up at night.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

See, as soon as you just throw in some weird terms together they don't even want to hear it.

Pinipig, just show her this:

Parts of what follows below were actually painful to write. However, because of the ongoing misinformation campaigns launched by dynamic speakers and its lapdogs, I feel it is my duty to write this. But before I continue, allow me to explain that dynamic speaker's conjectures will cause more harm than good. Let me try to explain what I mean by that in a single sentence: Some people say that that isn't sufficient evidence to prove that dynamic speakers is secretly scheming to dismantle national civil rights organizations by driving a wedge between the leaders and the rank-and-file members. And I must agree; one needs much more evidence than that. But the evidence is there, for anyone who isn't afraid to look at it. Just look at the way that it's not averse to turning riffraff loose against us good citizens. Do I blame society for this? No, I blame dynamic speakers.

If dynamic speakers were to get its hands on the levers of power it'd immediately destabilize the already volatile social fabric that it purportedly aims to save. If you don't believe me then consider that the space remaining in this letter will not suffice even to enumerate the ways in which it has tried to create a dynamic speakers-centric society in which jackbooted, sex-crazed sad sacks dictate the populace's values and myths, its traditions and archetypes. I wonder what would happen if dynamic speakers really did perpetrate acts of the most antisocial character. There's a spooky thought. If dynamic speakers can one day recover the dead past by annihilating the living present then the long descent into night is sure to follow. There's an important difference between me and dynamic speakers. Namely, I am willing to die for my cause. Dynamic speakers, in contrast, is willing to kill for its -- or, if not to kill, at least to accelerate our descent into the cesspool of corporatism. Finally, no letter about dynamic speakers would be complete without mention of some of the utterly querulous schemes that dynamic speakers supports. Although there are a plenitude of examples from which to choose, the most querulous would have to be dynamic speaker's proposal to plague our minds. That's the sort of thing that keeps me up at night.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have the next Shakespere

Just get her some jewelry.

I agree. What a girl says she wants and what she wants as a present will be different. She dosen't want electronics as a Christmas present as much as she wants jewelry.

Then buy the speakers together so you can keep them when you split up.

If she wants just 2.0 speakers, the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0 is hard to beat, and they'll blow the Bose Companions outta the water for sound quality. If 2.1 is the order, the ProMedia 2.1 system is still the one to get.

But if she wants Bose, get her Bose. You might not like 'em yourself, but she will, and that means rewards for you after the fact. :)

I look at it two ways. You can be right and get something better for the same money, or you can be happy because she's happy she got what she wanted. Pick one.

She dosen't want electronics as a Christmas present as much as she wants jewelry.
Generally, this'd be true, but it seems like she was pretty specific about what she wants. She's looking for "validation", if you will. This is common female behavior.

Strange how this thread has gotten so much attention, but then maybe it isn't so strange. Speaker, headphone and sound card questions are easy. Figuring out what a woman means when she says she wants speakers...not so easy.

Anyway, I hope all goes well Pinipig.

Anyway, I hope all goes well Pinipig.

All went well, fellas.... all went well.

If it was for my friend, I wouldn't have bought Bose.... but for the gf, I do what she asks of me. If I try to go around it, I'd have to justify the present and that's not something I'm willing to do for Christmas. As long as she's happy, I'm happy.

She knows she has my system to play with if she wants truer fidelity. ;)

Back