GF has a Evo. What's a good ROM for it?

SamuraiInBlack

Supreme [H]ardness
As the title says more or less. My girlfriend just got an HTC Evo 4G and she's debating about rooting and going custom on the ROM. I have the rooting part figured out for the most part, but I'm not keen on the good bad and ugly on the ROM scene for this phone. I've been lurking on XDA's forum for it but everyone's ROM is so feature rich its hard to narrow it down. I'm used to the Epic's ROM community, where everyone's ROM has a feature or two that sets them apart from the rest.

What my girlfriend needs is a daily driver (read: STABLE.) ROM with better battery life, working camera, and GPS. Anything else would be just icing on the cake.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I think everyone is using CM7 (cyanogen mod). I don't have an evo so can't comment.

One thing I remember reading is something about the voicemail not working?

I'm a big fan of VaelPak. Everything works, very customizable and the developer is super good about addressing any concerns. Plus it you try it with an sbc kernel and you have fantastic battery life.

a girl would like stuff like sense or sense 3.0 something with tons of graphics overdone... give her some bone stock android and she'll be EWWWW!!!

We'd know more if we knew what about the stock ROM was driving her to root.

For example, if she hates Sense, AOSP may be what the doctor ordered.

Does her Evo have Gingerbread?

You've got to try MIUI - best looking rom hands down.

If you want your android to look like an iphone I suppose. I do love the music player though. But there's at least a dozen other ROMS out there that use the MIUI music player.

a girl would like stuff like sense or sense 3.0 something with tons of graphics overdone... give her some bone stock android and she'll be EWWWW!!!

If she was a girly girl I'd agree. But she likes how LauncherPro is on my phone so I don't think this is an issue.

We'd know more if we knew what about the stock ROM was driving her to root.

For example, if she hates Sense, AOSP may be what the doctor ordered.

Does her Evo have Gingerbread?

She's not liking how a recent update is glitchy as hell now, the phone itself gets warm or even hot for no apparent reason, and the battery life annoys her. She has Gingerbread. (2.3.3)

I've already downloaded Spare Parts for her and adjusted stuff to see if that helps any. But some issues still remain.

Last edited:
If she was a girly girl I'd agree. But she likes how LauncherPro is on my phone so I don't think this is an issue.

She's not liking how a recent update is glitchy as hell now, the phone itself gets warm or even hot for no apparent reason, and the battery life annoys her. She has Gingerbread. (2.3.3)

I've already downloaded Spare Parts for her and adjusted stuff to see if that helps any. But some issues still remain.

if it is the OTA 2.3.3 update then you are going to be stuck until they figure out root for it.

I figured as much. But even still I am trying to find other ways to fix her issues in the meantime. Google Maps keeps running in the background even when she shuts the phone off and turns it back on. I uninstalled updates to it and killed it in task manager for good it seems. Sense keeps having to load itself (popup box that says "loading...") before loading her homescreen.

These are issues that I never had with my Epic so I'm wondering if its just a Sense issue?

I personally prefer CM7 or an AOSP rom, but if you want stable and easy, try Myn's warm or Mik's rom. When I had my EVO, I used them both and was very happy, but eventuall stuck with Frosty's Senseless. No idea if that is still in development though.

This.

But... atleast with me, the Camera doesnt work... so that might be a deal-breaker.

Also do you live in a 4G area? I know some roms dont support 4G yet (this may have been fixed by now, I've not kept up with a lot of stuff since march or so)

Other than the webcam issue, CM7 is best non-sence rom imo, but be sure if you havn't to add SetCPU or (my favorite) Overclock Widget to scale back the CPU (it runs at 1ghz even when idle otherwise)

This.

But... atleast with me, the Camera doesnt work... so that might be a deal-breaker.

Also do you live in a 4G area? I know some roms dont support 4G yet (this may have been fixed by now, I've not kept up with a lot of stuff since march or so)

Other than the webcam issue, CM7 is best non-sence rom imo, but be sure if you havn't to add SetCPU or (my favorite) Overclock Widget to scale back the CPU (it runs at 1ghz even when idle otherwise)

I think the tiamat kernel broke the stock camera app on the EVO, I have been using Apeture + Timat @1223mhz or whatever with no issues and taking stellar pictures :)
Including video as well.

Also CM7 FTW. So fast, such great battery life.
With Launcher Pro it is a total win in my book.

I think the tiamat kernel broke the stock camera app on the EVO, I have been using Apeture + Timat @1223mhz or whatever with no issues and taking stellar pictures :) Including video as well.

I looked in the Market and didnt see Aperture, the only camera app I coudl find that seemed to have basic functions (instead of "photo editing") was "pudding camera" and it loaded but immediatly crashed just like stock...

Link to Aperture? *is hoping the camera isn't dead-dead till some future major update*

Fresh rom... Rooted stock EVO with the shit apps removed. Everything works like it should. Then install Launcher Pro Plus

Back