gf 6800gt with dell 250 w psu?

Personally I wouldn't even run the card you have now on that PSU. Its up to you whether its worth the risk or not. You can always get a Dell replacement PSU from PC Power & Cooling that will run anything you need.

i heard that dell doesnt put max effect on the psus, only medium. so 250 w is more like 300+.

i live in sweden so you dont happen to know where i can buy that here do you? :rolleyes:

250w doesnt say a lot, what brand and stats are we looking at? Specifically amps on 12v line.

"dc output: 250 w"

is the only thing i can see, the cpu cooling thingy is in the way. and that it's made in china. ;)

Dell PSU's are extremely efficient. Try it, if it dosnt work, get a new antec psu.

Im *guessing* you have a Dell dimension series....

At least for the 8200, it says it is a 250W PSU but that is the average--most companies least the peak, which is about 350W....

Besides, dell sells dimensions now w/ GTOs, which are probably going to use the same amount of power as a regular GT.

PC Power and Cooling makes special PSUs to fit into the non standard dell cases. If not, you can always buy an ATX PSU , but a small hole for the switch, hope the PSU isnt upside down, and get a mobo connector converter if applicable to your model.

(I have a 6800OC in my dim 8200 w/ its original PSU btw....Power supply didnt like it at first, unplugged some stuff, but its all been fine for near 6 months)

i have a dimension 8300.

nothing will break if they psu is to weak, right?

so i guess i dont have anything to lose :)

Well you could just hear the PSU annoyed and clicking.... but that can go away, or can be replaced by dell and that seemed to help me... Or it could just shut off randomly under stress...

Or it could break in a blaze of glory and fry the majority of your computer. (Not usually, however)

If i were you i'd ask in the dell.com dimension forums... Lots of ppl there, and they know almost everything about them.

iori yagami said:
i have a dimension 8300.

nothing will break if they psu is to weak, right?

so i guess i dont have anything to lose :)

Actually if the PSU dies it is likely to take out your Mobo, your 6800 or a Hard Drive.

SystemERRor said:
Well you could just hear the PSU annoyed and clicking.... but that can go away, or can be replaced by dell and that seemed to help me... Or it could just shut off randomly under stress...

Or it could break in a blaze of glory and fry the majority of your computer. (Not usually, however)

If i were you i'd ask in the dell.com dimension forums... Lots of ppl there, and they know almost everything about them.

link to the forums pls :)

I find it funny how people can afford a pretty high end video card (ie. $350+ on a card), but won't pay for a $40+ PSU. The box says minimum requirements 300Watt PSU so if you don't follow it's minimum requirements, well that's just retarded if you ask me.

I'm sure if you can afford a 6800GT that you can go out and buy a $40 PSU. It's not like you can't afford it.

its more the fact that it has to fit in the dell chassi and work with the dell motherboard, but ok.. :rolleyes:

Or perhaps the person was saving money. Saving and saving and saving. A person doesn't need to be rich to buy expensive things. Maybe he spent all his money on his graphics card and didn't have enough for a PSU.

Or maybe he's just wondering if he needs to buy a new one.

iori yagami said:
its more the fact that it has to fit in the dell chassi and work with the dell motherboard, but ok.. :rolleyes:

If you dunno what a Standard ATX powersupply looks like or the standard demensions of one are, then take it to a computer store and have them replace it with a bigger PSU. I'm pretty sure your DELL uses a standard ATX PSU which all computer stores will carry PSUs for. I would take it to a shop and have them take a look. I don't think DELL will screw you into buying a PSU from only them, even though one would think they would.

One of my friends also has a Dell Dimension (older model - 1.5ghz P4 with sdram) with a 250 watt PSU and a Radeon 9800 Pro. He modded his case and bought a better power supply, and he said it worked better, but I personally couldn't see the difference.

overloading a power supply is dangerous...it might work but

1. you will question the stability...what if it fails right in the middle of a game???
2. running the power supply at it's peak power will elevate the 12V line to about 12.3-12.5(that's how the power supply adjust to compensate overloading) then that's the amount of voltage the CPU and graphics cards will run off of...which means they will run 5-10C hotter...which again shortens the life and increase the case temp....
3. I won't have the ballz to run that 6800GT on a 250W ps.
4. Just dont do it
5. You could buy another power supply around 380-400W to power the 6800GT
6 Just don't plug into the 250W....risk is too much!
7 the system in my sig,,,,i burned it up last year on a 500W power supply because i had 2x Radeon 9100 PCIs each drawing about 8A on the 5V line from the PCI-bus...now I only use 1 Radeon 9100 PCI and it is still pretty rough on my 500W ps that does 50A on the 5V and 25A on the 12V....

I have a Dimension 8300 with a 250W nominal (350W max) PSU and a 9800 Pro and it has worked fine for 18 months. Don't let anybody in this forum tell you this shouldn't work.

Spoke to Dell Support Norway about possible video card upgrades and they said 6800Ultra was the only card requiring a PSU upgrade, a 6800GT was ok. However, they also said that due to the length of some 6800GT cards you may have problems fitting it into the 8300 case if the HD tray on the same level as the AGP slot is occupied. If you have only one HD drive you can just move it to the other tray, if you have two it becomes difficult.

All I know is when I installed a 6800 OC on my bro's computer his battery backup rose three kinds of hell. Had to take some things off the battery to make things peaceful again...

jon67 said:
I have a Dimension 8300 with a 250W nominal (350W max) PSU and a 9800 Pro and it has worked fine for 18 months. Don't let anybody in this forum tell you this shouldn't work.

Spoke to Dell Support Norway about possible video card upgrades and they said 6800Ultra was the only card requiring a PSU upgrade, a 6800GT was ok. However, they also said that due to the length of some 6800GT cards you may have problems fitting it into the 8300 case if the HD tray on the same level as the AGP slot is occupied. If you have only one HD drive you can just move it to the other tray, if you have two it becomes difficult.

Depends on whats inside the computer.
Obviously the more HDDs and Optical devices and other cards such as Sound Card, TV Tuner, etc... the more power it's gonna drain and the likely hood of it not supplying enough power for the 6800GT, and the likely hood of overloading a PSU which is never a good thing to do, can void warranty sometimes.

Whatever the point is it's never good to use anything less then the bare minimums, especially the rated minimums, especially when they even write it out on the box for you. If it works then fine it works, but if it blows up on you then don't come back and cry to us, as quite a few of us had said to get a bigger PSU. At work, if someone showed me that they did this and blew up a video card with a lower PSU or overloaded it, I wouldn't send this card back, I would tell them that they would have to do this on their own RMA. It's like breaking the VOID WARRANTY IF SEAL/STICKER IS BROKEN/REMOVED kind of deal.

I wouldn't try the 6800GT with a 250w PSU.
Don't even risk it, just buy a 350w Antec or Enermax or better and enjoy your piece of mind instead of burning out your motherboard and having to shell out more dollars.

i believe it SHOULD work (emphasis on should) but get a camera ready, cuase if it catches fire, i wanna see it :D

jon67 said:

It will limit his upgradability and ability to handle power fluctuations/heavy loads with stability. It may work, but for how long and how well is the real concern.

No matter what these people say, you should be fine...

Technically you have a 350W PSU in there, and BFG says it only requires 300 or 350W (depends where on the box you look...)

If you need more, just unplug the floppy drive...Yes it can help a good amount...If that doesnt help, removing a HD or optical drive could help...

Remember, if you want to get a new PSU, you'll either have to:

1. Go to PC Power and Cooling and pay a helluvalot of money for custom dell PSU

2. Buy an ATX psu, hope that it matches with the mobo connectors, and mod your case.

3. Buy a 2nd psu just for your card.

But remember---you should be fine.

Back