Getting win NT and win 2003 to play nice with active directory (maybe just a WINS Q)

Techguy

2[H]4U
Don't ask why, but I've got 2 servers I need to get to play nice. One's running NT server, and the other 2003.
Currently the NT is the domain controler. we'll say it's called MYDOMAIN1. it's computer name is PRO2500_NT1.
The 2003 server's computer name we'll say is SERVER03
The 2003 server is attached to the dommain MYDOMAIN1 and logs in as MYDOMAIN1\Administrator. All is well.

So I want to play with things like Active Directory on the 2003 server.

So I "add role to server" and choose active directory. I choose Additional domain controller for an existing domain. I enter the Admin stuff for the MYDOMAIN1 admin. I then get this error:
"An Active Directory domain controller for the domain MYDOMAIN1 could no tbe contacted. Ensure the DNS domain name is typed cottectly. If the name is correct, then click details for troubleshooting info."

When you click details you get:
"The domain name MYDOMAIN1 might be a NedBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS."
and then a bunch of text about if you are certian this is not a NetBIOS domain name...

So I canceled my way out of the wizzard, and then added the role of WINS server. I then added SERVER03's IP address to both the 2003 and NT server's WINS server info under TCP/IP settings. Now when you open the WINS server manager, click on SERVER03 and then Active Registrations, you see 10 things.

--__MSBROWSE__-
a few of MYDOMAIN1 and the correct NT IP addy
a few PRO2500_NT1 and the correct NT IP addy
ADMINISTRATOR with the NT IP addy
and 2 SERVER03 with the 2003 IP addy.

I've never used a WINS server before, but this looks to me like it's working...
I still get the same errors on the Active directory install.
I added MYDOMAIN1 to the HOSTS file.
Now you can even ping MYDOMAIN1 and it will work, but I still can't get the active directory installer to login/find to the domain controler.... Yet, I can(and do) log in as MYDOMAIN1\Administrator...

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks a million for any help.

A DNS server is required for AD. You will need to upgrade your NT4 PDC to (win2k or win2k3) AD in order for that win2k3 box to act as a DC (domain controller) for AD.

When you upgrade your PDC to AD and you do not have DNS installed or configured it will do it for you.

If you run a pure win2k enviroment you will not needs WINS after you upgrade to AD.

2003 server cannot be "promoted" to a DC inside an NT4 Domain.Your options are:
1. Upgrade the NT4 DC(PDC) to 2003/Active Directory
2. Create a new and separate Acitve Directory Domain, and then create a trust relationship between the NT4 and AD domains.

j4zzee said:
2003 server cannot be "promoted" to a DC inside an NT4 Domain.Your options are:
1. Upgrade the NT4 DC(PDC) to 2003/Active Directory
2. Create a new and separate Acitve Directory Domain, and then create a trust relationship between the NT4 and AD domains.
ok. At this point in time, an upgrade from NT4 isn't an option. (currently there are too many things that NEED nt4... we're slowly migrating off things like Novell 3.12, btrieve 6.5, and some DOS apps, and even access 2.0).

Creating a separate domain shouldn't be a problem. I'll give it a whirl.
The end goal is to have the NT4 box just run the apps it needs to as a server, and stop running thing that the win 2003 box can. I've set up 2 PCs that mimic the real servers so I can play with how to migrate the domain controler, and ensure that our NT 4 workstations and win98 PC's still do what they need to do, while maybe letting the XP Pro PC's take advantage of the new domain controler.

Thanks again for the info guys.

In that case the best solution would be to create a new domain on the Win2k3 box and setup a trust relation ship with the nt4 domain (as previously suggested by j4zzee). After you have everything migrated from the NT4 box you can rebuild it as a stand alone server.

One potential Gotcha..
If you are using 2003 Small Business Server Edition; you cannot create domain trusts...

Another option if you don't want to run two domains:
Install a Fresh NT4 server as a DC in the NT4 Domain on another box. Promote that one to the PDC, and then do an inplace upgrade to 2003...

Microsoft's Technet has some good articles about upgrading domains and stuff.. :)

j4zzee said:
One potential Gotcha..
If you are using 2003 Small Business Server Edition; you cannot create domain trusts...

Another option if you don't want to run two domains:
Install a Fresh NT4 server as a DC in the NT4 Domain on another box. Promote that one to the PDC, and then do an inplace upgrade to 2003...

Microsoft's Technet has some good articles about upgrading domains and stuff.. :)

Unfortunately... the 2003 server is already inplace, and is running an app (Valor with an oracle dbase) that is a pain in the ass to set up, but it's low server load/utilization. It needed 2003, and since we have the box.. so "upgrading" an nt4 box to the 2003 server, wouldn't work.. and the penny pinchers in management would never buy another server at this point (we are a small company, I do IT work as a favor for the Prez, he's a family friend and I'm cheap labor).

We have Windows 2003 Standard Edition on the real box, but on my test box I loaded the 2003 eval, which is Enterprise edition. Will I beable to establish a trust relationship with the NT box from the 2003 Standard? I'm sure Enterprise won't have any issues, that's why they let you play with it for free ;->

You should be able to do everything the full registered version can do, except for the 30 day time limit.

Back