Getting Staticy Onboard Audio

Just put together this new computer (See sig for specs)

When I use the front panel audio jacks (doesn't matter if I use the HD Audio or AC97 connector (from the HAF-X) on the F_Audio jack on the motherboard) I get static and crackling during odd times.

It happens when I move the mouse, scroll up and down, during various operating system sounds (I don't notice it during music or gaming though, the sounds of the game/music overlap it it seems)

I did some Googling and it seems that some onboard audio suffer from EMI interference from other electrical devices in the computer since they are not shielded enough (or at all)

When I use the back panel jacks (on the mobo) I don't have this issue.

From what I can see I can do a few things. Get an extension for my headphones (the cord isn't long enough to read the back of the case and still reach my chair), get a good sound card (was debating this even when I had my old comp) or RMA the board (if it turns out to be a fault)

There are zero other issues with the board and it's already together (and I don't have a spare comp I can use so I really want to avoid RMA'ing the board unless absolutely necessary)

The sound card is something I have been debating for a while so can someone recommend a good sub $100 sound card that will give me good gaming audio and decent music/movies (I use a set of Sennheiser 280 Pro's when I use my computer)

Third option is get a $4 cable off of Newegg and just use the rear jacks.

Thoughts?

most likely theres something wrong with the board. i suggest you get a new sound card if you dont want to RMA it.

I have the same issue with my front panel jacks, as they have to cross very close to my video card. When the card loads up in a game, the buzzing gets quite loud. What I did was plug my headphones into the rear of the computer, and my speakers are the ones that plug into the front panel as they don't buzz that loudly.

You might try getting a ferrite choke and putting it around the front panel connector wires.

I might try that ferrite choke thing. I did Google them and the ones I found seem kinda small, not sure how much they would cover

You don't need it to cover the entire cable, just a portion of it. It's the same thing that's on the ends of your monitor and USB cables to prevent EMI.

That's a classic EMI issue, also It may be that something isn't grounded properly.

Another thing you can try is muting any unused input jacks like CD In, Line In 1/2/3, etc..

I find this usually fixes the problem. Those unused audio connectors on your mobo can pickup EMI just as easily as anything else.

Does not seem to be a board issue, as the problem goes away if the rear ports are used.

Back