Getting Static and feed back over HDMI

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs & Equipment' started by Makeroflostsouls, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Makeroflostsouls

Makeroflostsouls 2[H]4U

I hooked up my gaming pc to my Marantz receiver and I'm getting a lot of static and feed back in my speakers. When the video card is loaded up it gets worse. Nothing else in my rack has this issue. I also have a HTPC in the rack that will play video back with out an issue but does get some feed back when playing a game. Is this a grounding issue? I understand coil wine, but this is static. Anything I can do to fix this issue? Everything is on its own 20amp outlet. I also have 2 APC G5BLK power conditioners. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

2. capt_cope

capt_cope Gawd

This sounds a LOT like an issue I had with a marantz reciever - ended up being a bad cap on the digital input board. Have you tried the other sources into the same hdmi input that you've got your gaming PC hooked into? Here's the thread that helped me fix mine:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...m-receiver-owners-thread-12.html#post30445770

**EDIT TO CLARIFY**
    I forgot to mention - my receiver is an NR-1501, and the thread I linked also covers the NR-1501 - obviously if you have a different receiver that info is likely not correct. Given the similarities in symptoms, even if you're not talking about an NR-1501, I wouldn't be surprised if someone has got a similar guide for whatever receiver you do have.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  3. djoye

djoye 2[H]4U

Unrelated question, I'm looking to buy a Marantz receiver but I need to know if it will act as a phantom monitor when connected to my GPU's HDMI.

I currently have an older Denon that I'm using solely for audio output over HDMI. I don't have a monitor connected to the receiver, but I do see a monitor in Windows, so the AVR is acting as a display. I need that functionality because I use DisplayPort for my monitor and do not want to go through the AVR. I have Onkyo receivers that will not activate (HDCP?) unless a display is connected, that's bad for how I want to use it.

4. Makeroflostsouls

Makeroflostsouls 2[H]4U

Pretty sure mine does, I’ll double check for you. It does show up as a display in windows. I’ll see if I can pass audio to it with out my projector hooked up.