Getting rid of RAID 5 and getting some 4TB. Which ones?

Carlitos714

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have 8 x 2TB Samsung hd204ui (10.9TB total) and I am thinking of getting rid of them cuz housing 8 HDD is a pain in the a$$ and I reduced my computers to just 1.

I plan on keeping 1x 2TB hard drive to use as a back to my important stuff like documents, pics, kids movies, and music which is currently about 1.15 TB

I want to get 2 x 4TB hard drive and I am having a hard time deciding what drives to buy. My raid 5 array currently has about 8.58 TB being used and the majority of the space are movies (20-8tb a piece) but I delete the movies right after watching them so having 10.9 tb right now is an overkill for me.

I am looking for some 4 tb hard dive, but at this point I dont think I want to purchase enterprise drives cuz I simply can't afford them.

Please recommend me some reliable hard drives. I also want to eventually build a raid 10 array, but for now I am only looking for 2 x 4 tb hard drives.

Thank you

edit

maybe 3 x 3 tb WD reds?

I would still keep the 2TB drives and use them as backups especially if you use raid 0 or spanning where you are likely over a 5 year time period to lose your entire array.

I would still keep the 2TB drives and use them as backups especially if you use raid 0 or spanning where you are likely over a 5 year time period to lose your entire array.
what keep 8 hdd? I really did not understand your post

Back