Getting ready to install Vista for the first time

LateraLex

Limp Gawd
Hi, I've been searching around, looking for tips/ techniques for my first Vista install. I'd love to hear about features that can be stripped down to make the OS as efficient as possible. Or, any common pitfalls to avoid when installing from scratch. I've done plenty of XP builds in the past - but give the number of HUGE threads about Vista, it looks like some folks are running into trouble.

The hardware will basically all be new (in sig), with the exception of a PCI PVR-150 tv tuner card. If there are some guides that I've missed, that would be great too. Thanks

Hi, I've been searching around, looking for tips/ techniques for my first Vista install. I'd love to hear about features that can be stripped down to make the OS as efficient as possible. Or, any common pitfalls to avoid when installing from scratch. I've done plenty of XP builds in the past - but give the number of HUGE threads about Vista, it looks like some folks are running into trouble.

The hardware will basically all be new (in sig), with the exception of a PCI PVR-150 tv tuner card. If there are some guides that I've missed, that would be great too. Thanks

Just install it and enjoy it. You hardware is pretty beefy, not some 5-year old hardware that barely meets requirements. There's no reason to get all anal and try to strip Vista down to the bare minimum.

Since you have a tuner card, it may be safer to use 32-bit vista, unless you sure the drivers for tuner card works with 64-bit.

Don't let the number of "Vista problem" threads alarm you. There are plenty of people using Vista with no problems. They just don't go posting that they have no problems.

I'm going to be running the 64 bit, and now searching with that in the parameters it looks like I might run into some issues with 4gb or ram installed. Maybe time for a new tuner card :rolleyes:

Some Nvidia chipset boards have an issue where they can't install Vista with 4 GB of memory present in the system. I haven't heard of that happening on an Intel board yet.

I'm going to be running the 64 bit, and now searching with that in the parameters it looks like I might run into some issues with 4gb or ram installed. Maybe time for a new tuner card :rolleyes:

You'd have issues with 32-bit installed, as your video card would be taking up some memory space, leaving you with ~3.25-3.5gb available. But with 64bit you're allowed up to 128gb or so. At least, assuming you have ultimate. I'm not sure if basic or premium allow more than 8gb. Though I've never heard of any specific motherboard problems with 4gb+ and Vista, I'm sure it's possible in the world of computers :p

That aside, there isn't a whole lot that installs with Vista that's going to bog you down. Aero runs great assuming you have a GPU worth beans. SuperFetch with 4gb of RAM should be fun :cool:

The only things I adjust are turning off UAC (the annoying box that asks permission before you do anything), change classic start menu/control panel, and I close the sidebar as I never used any of the gadgets (I never really use any Firefox add-ons either, go figure). Aside from that, I run it as-is, and life is grand.

ps. Vista x64 does NOT accept non-certified drivers. That can be a problem for older devices, but a quick check on their website should tell you if it will work or not.

Some Nvidia chipset boards have an issue where they can't install Vista with 4 GB of memory present in the system.

True, but only a minor annoyance - you must have at least 2 sticks to get 4GB, so you can pull one for the install, then put it back once you've installed the hotfix.

one other tip.. I learned the hard way

For whatever reason, disconnect additonal HDD's in the syetm when installing, then you can re connect post boot. I had installed ona c:\ that was a raid 0, and had a 3rd drive in at the time. when the 3rd drive failed, I couldn't boot, even though all the load was alledgedly to the array. Seems that that install had crreated some ninja mbr on the 3rd drive as well; with it present, no boot :confused:

I'm getting ready to install Vista 64 Ultimate on my new rig tonight when I get home from work, it'll be my first go-round with it as well. *crosses fingers*

Tip #1:
Do a clean install vs an in place upgrade.

Tip #2:
If your Vista 64 install doesn't see all 4GB then flash your BIOS to the most current

Tip #3:
Just like in XP, after a fresh install do all the defrags, chkdsks, etc and be patient with Vista's self tuning for the first week or so. A busy hard drive is nothing to get woried about. It will calm down once Vista has done all its self tuning in a week or so.

Back