Getting power to EVGA SC2 GTX 1080

arun21

n00b
Hi folks,
I just am finishing off building my first PC and just picked up the SC2.

I'm having trouble getting power to the card now. Everything else works (I think) and the CPU fan is spinning, and the motherboard rgb's are lit up.

Question- the SC2 comes with a sort of splitter adapter for two 6 pin power connectors that blend in to one 8 pin PCI-E connector. It's a pretty short cord.

Do I run two PCI-E power connections from the PSU to the splitter? And then the 8 pin end of the splitter to the SC2? On the card itself, there is only one 8 pin connector.

Just plug the PCI-E 8 pin connector from your PSU straight to the GPU, those splitters are for people who doesn't have PCI-E 8 Pin connectors on their PSUs.

Hmm. strange. I've tried that of course and there is just nothing happening to the graphics card. All other indications seem to say that the PSU is fine though.

Here's the build:

Dan Cases A4-SFX ITX
i7-7700k
Asus Z270i Motherboard
16gb TridentZ RGB 3200
Noctua NH-L9i CPU fan

Corsair SF600 PSU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC2
For now using the standard power cables from the PSU.

Also is there something that I am missing in the BIOS that I would need to do to "enable" the card? Seems unlikely but thought I'd ask..

Ok just to be sure.. your PSU it's a fully modular one, it have 2 PCI-E 6+2 Pin Power connector, they should be just like the pictured below

14-PCI-E.jpg

Be sure you are using those cables and not the 8 Pin EPS cable which more of the time are just like this

pcie8index.jpg

or can be separated as this one: and it's the one your PSU is using 4+4pin detachable

Free-Shipping-PP06B-EPS75-EPS-8-Pin-Power-Supply-Cable-PSU-Accessories-1-x-EPS-ATX12V.jpg

I say this because it's a common mistake so, first thing it's to check you are using the proper cables for each situation both for the GPU and CPU auxiliary power on the motherboard, with that PSU and GPU you should only need the use of a single 6+2Pin PCI-E cable and the EPS CPU cable.. couple of pics of your system would also help.

Thanks. See attached. Computer otherwise is working fine. I'm using it right now to type this... Sorry about the cord mess, I'm waiting to fix the GTX issue before I close it up.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 115
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 188
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 82
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 81
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 77
aww well, I thought you weren't being able to power up the machine.. which in any case if it powered up and working everything it's fine I guess you are asking then why the fans on the GPU aren't working, and that's because a feature being used lately for GPU manufacturers which consist in a "Zero RPM" operation for idle and low loads/low demands until the card reach certain temperatures (which tend to be 60C) then fans turn on slowly.

About the leds normally a 3rd app is required to manage the lighting which in your case should be EVGA Precision app.

I'm still pretty sure it's not working since the LED's on the GTX aren't on, and in Win 10 Device Manager, an error under "PCI Simple Communications Controller" pops up.

Verify the Riser (PCI-E Extended cord) it's properly and correctly seated both on GPU and Motherboard, also... are you getting video via the GPU or via Motherboard? if you are receiving video throught the GPU then for sure it's working. Also try with the drivers installer if it detect the GPU then it's working.

Back