Getting new Network testing equipment

tripex

Gawd
Hey guys

I have a team consisting of 10 ppl and this year we are planning to do some medium-sized network jobs (between 50 and 100 points).

We will also have everyday-regular networks, which generally go up to 10 points.

I have a budget of around 5,000 USD to buy equipment/tools that help us in the whole process, specially testing. For those experienced network dudes, what are your suggestions (links are appreciated) ?

Good brain that can handle logic processing ;)

seriously though, for such small networks you don't need much other than cable tracing tool, some cat5 testing tools (lanshack.com has some good ones).

Rest of it is really just logic, you can get far with that and ping :D

A simple cable tester to make sure there aren't breaks and that you're using the correct lines. Tools to make cable, tools to run cable, tools to organize cable.

Can't think of much more tool wise. For software, get a linux box running (or use a live boot cd) on the network and use nmap or an equally useful tool. :)

That, and like a previous poster said, a good head on your shoulders.

there's alot more involved in that than you think, I did that for a living before i got promoted.

If you're doing networks for businesses, get a cable certifier, not just a tester, make sure you have a least a laptop or two (nothing great, even old p3's are fine, router/switch configs etc)

punchdown tools, elec scissors, crimpers, rolls of velcro for cables, learn your states cabling codes. drills, fish tapes, fish sticks, bucket of string, ladders, spare jacks, patch panels, extra cable (of all types, plenum dif colors too)...multimeters, generic electrical tools.

if youre going to do fiber....id say make more room for a good fiber kit, and a fiber scope and a fiber tester to test Db loss.

know you're way around the networking stuff is harder than the cabling you can turn anyone with common sense into a hell of an installer in less than 6 months just for cbaling etc.

Thanks Kaos, thats exactly the kind of advice i'm looking for.

Do you suggest any product names?

And yes, there will be a couple Fiber projects.

tripex said:
Thanks Kaos, thats exactly the kind of advice i'm looking for.
Do you suggest any product names?
And yes, there will be a couple Fiber projects.

Budget doesn't allow for it - but I'm a huge fan of the Fluke One-touch products. Last I saw (couple years ago) they were still selling for the 5k range.

I'm sure they have something in a slightly lower price bracket.
LAN
http://www.flukenetworks.com/us/LAN/default.htm
Telcomm
http://www.flukenetworks.com/us/Cabling/default.htm

Best cable certifier on the market IMO is the Test-Um validator, comes with floorplan software, can build the jobs on a laptop and then transfer them to the device, if you get the NT version it will attempt to log onto a domain as well to verify other aspects of the cabling. Dont get it off of ebay or the warranty is invalid. NT model is about 1400 bucks regular model is 1000.

you can get most of the stuff you need at a good price from

www.datacomtools.com

for cabling tools
fav punch tools: harris, then ideal (but always use harris eversharp blade)

crimpers: ideal/paladin (ratchet)

toner/tracer: harris pro 3000 (best one out there IMO)

multimeter: fluke

screwdrivers: craftsman, i break mine or bend them, free replacements

drill: take your pick, i still like craftsman, i have a 90 degree drill of theres thats awesome for putting equipment in network racks.

fish tools: greenlee is my fav, their stick are more firm so you can tie string to it and throw it through drop celing like a spear (just make sure you pull your cables off the grid to be in compliance with NEC and EIA/TIA)

elec scissors: clauss 1st (whole blade serated) klein 2nd (last forever)

fiber kit: corning unicam are my fav to use (think 5 min or less per fiber term :))

i use my scissor to strip jackets off some people like to use a stripper, take your pick.

there was a walmart we did the cabling for by our office in greensburg PA and we used all new equipment to do it...i think we bought around 7k worth of stuff (inlcluding spare parts/fiber stuff)

Thanks man, the info is much appreciated.

Tell me, whats the Toner/Tracer for??

Back