Getting massive amounts of air in my two radiators

dikky

Weaksauce
I have an mcp350 pump, 2 240mm rads, raystorm block and a single bay res that is above the pump.

I have tried filling it about 5 times now and everytime it seems like each rad is half filled with air. As I move the case around I can hear the water sloshing around in them.

Is this a sign of a weak pump? I'm guessing about 1/2 a gallon per minute of pumping.

Sounds like a bleeding problem to me. Inadequate bleeding of air would also reduce flow.

What component is the highest in your loop? If your radiator is on the top above the res, then that's where the air will be.

You can try turning your computer on the side and running the loop for a bit, or take out the radiator so it's below the reservoir and run it for awhile.

I bet your radiator is still higher though. It's thinner and the in/out are probably above the res.

The flow of the single MCP350 pump is probably not strong enough to push the air out. Try shaking it while the pump is running, that should help.

I always put my res below the radiators, makes no difference. The mcp350 has more than enough pressure at full wattage to push the air out of the radiators, so something is either wrong with your pump, tubing runs or something. You should be able to fill up the res, turn on pump, let the pump push all the water out until its low, repeat until the loop is full. Think im running a mcp355 with a res top and double 240mm radiators above the pump, and it it pushes water like a beast.

Take some pictures of it.

Just keeping moving the case around and the reservoir should eventually fill with air. You may need to top it off at some point.

I unscrewed the rads and moved them around and got all the air out of all the components, there was no sloshing when I shook them. I installed all my pc parts and the peak temps under water cooling are the same as air cooling.

the pump is loud too, the hum of the motor is probably twice as loud as all the fans combined and also the water in the res doesn't swoosh around with any velocity either.

I unscrewed the rads and moved them around and got all the air out of all the components, there was no sloshing when I shook them. I installed all my pc parts and the peak temps under water cooling are the same as air cooling.

the pump is loud too, the hum of the motor is probably twice as loud as all the fans combined and also the water in the res doesn't swoosh around with any velocity either.

The pump can be loud if air is running through it. Just food for thought. Run the pump in just water in the sink and see if it is loud.

The 350 is just a loud pump. Nature of the beast IMHO. At full throttle or at low idle you can hear it.

Any pump will be louder if it has air in it and the pump will not flow as well.

Not a weak pump. You need to bleed the air out of the loop for best performance.

I find that the 350/355 with the stock tops are a bit of a pain to clear the air out of due to the 90 degree change. Air often gets stuck right there.

Just an FYI, putting together the raystorm block wrong really fucks with temps.

I had the groved copper plate installed perpendicular to the water flow

Last edited:
Have you try leaving it running for a while? My loop air usually disappear after letting it run for a while.

I had a bunch of air stuck in my Monsta 280 that sits on the highest point in my loop; I had to pick up the whole tower and turn it on it's side both ways (while running) in order to flush out the bubbles.

Last edited:
On my monsta 280 rad I use a port to fill it and bleed the air out.

Back