Getting into Modding

ray4389

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm intrested in getting into modding. I can't really understand stuff I found on google so with first hand experience what would be the best thing to do getting started?

Like I would like to help a mod team to get a taste. The only skills I have so far is photoshop. Like that means I could do mapping? textures?
How would I do that? What programs to I need?

I also am used to CAD programs like auto cad and auto inventor, well really anything with autodesk. I can even use aritectural cad along with any other architectural systems.

I'm fairly certain 3d rendering uses some for of cad?

I am really intrested in first starting out textures, then models like guns, then people, then mapping. Help?

Specifically I would like to make my own counter strike map.

***EDIT --> While on the subject I am still in highschool and I wouldlike to learn some programing I am proficient in math and I will be taking some basic programing classes next semester...anyawys what would be a good source of learning basics. I just need something simple. I know basic HTML and I can make programs on TI-83+ calculators to solve equations that can become rather complex. I'm not talking about the simple plug in the variables and it spits answers out...more like yo give it any variables and it can conform to the info given using if,than,or statements.
That's all I know. I made some simple calc games. That's it. That was a few years back. I just want to get a head start. At the same time I will be taking a computer art class hopefully that will refine my PS skills. I am considering engineering or programing as career options.
Any direction as far as careers would also be welcomed. I'm looking to have some fun learning stuff and also prepare for the future so I will not fall behind others.

To make a map you need to download the SDK off of Steam, and that's all you really need. You can use photoshop to make the textures. Modeling is nowhere nearly the same as mapping and if you're only interested in mapping just do that, don't waste your time making models.

kick@ss said:
To make a map you need to download the SDK off of Steam, and that's all you really need. You can use photoshop to make the textures. Modeling is nowhere nearly the same as mapping and if you're only interested in mapping just do that, don't waste your time making models.

Wow I thought the SDK was to make mods not maps. Actually I'm not quite sure what it was. The only mapping I did was in the AOKII days. I made some sweet maps.

You might want to start with just making a small map first. Some games come with a map editor. I'm not sure about that, as I haven't looked at this for a while. I know Half Life 1 came with everything you needed to make a map.

I tried using the HL2 SDK and umm I understand it to a point but I'm still not sure what I'm doing...ayos mios

Back