• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Getting high temps with your 6950/6970?

Dark12

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 13, 2003
Messages
1,918
Hey everyone.
I just got an XFX 6950 and successfully flashed it to the 6970 @ 6970 clocks.
At first I didn't think I was successful because I was getting artifacts in trivial places at random times. I felt the top of the card and it was extremely hot.
According to CCC my temps were maxing out at 85C. This didn't seem right so I hot glued an old 80mm smartfan inside my optical bay of my case in such a way that it blew air right over the top of the card.
Sure enough, after a long gaming session my max temp was 70C. I thought my case had good airflow, but apparently I was very wrong.
The card has been running like a champ and it is blowing me away. :-D
 
85C doesn't cause artifacts.
In terms of the reference 6950/6970, a single 80mm fan won't slice off 15 degrees no matter where you put it.
70C peak must mean your PC is inside an igloo somewhere in the arctic tundra.
 
The cooling is actually different from the 6950 to the 6970, since the faster card draws about 50W more power... so the premium isn't just the extra stream processors; the stock fan has also been improved to compensate for the extra draw.

I get like 93C with my 6970 in Furmark, and my card still performs like a champ. So do many others in reviews that I've read. Regular gaming nowhere stresses it like that, so your observed numbers will end up a bit lower. Those chips are designed to run hot and heavy, honestly.

edit: if you're getting artifacts after that bios flash, I'd seriously recommend flashing back to the original and seeing if they go away! Shouldn't be getting any artifacts at all.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top