Getting errors with driver

jslater25

Limp Gawd
Over the weekend, I finally had time to delve deeper into a recurring issue that I've had with what I thought was a monitor problem. Powering on my computer, the monitor frequently failed to wake (I didn't power it off, just let it sleep when the computer was turned off). Similarly, if I let my computer sleep, I'd frequently have issues getting the monitor to wake. This often forced a reboot until I could get the monitor to turn on.

Because it was a cheap refurb (thanks Woot), I figured it was due to the monitor.

Over the weekend, I decided to start Windows 7 (64bit) in Safe Mode. When I did, I received a message stating that I had hundreds of events with the following message:

ATI graphics driver has stopped working.

I was surprised that rarely would the driver START working again. Suggestions to correct included updating the driver (was already at 10.11), letting Windows handle the issue (yeah, right) and using a different driver.

So, I've removed 10.11 and installed 10.12, but I have seen the same issue once more since doing so.

Any further advice? Is this simply a case of bad hardware? Or is there some troubleshooting I could do?

Info needed:

GPU
System
How is monitor connected to GPU
Monitor

I would initially do the following.......
Download Catalyst 10.10e drivers
Remove current drivers via CCC uninstall
Safe mode reboot and run driver sweeper or driver cleaner
Reboot and install 10.10e (nothing sacred about these but they seem to be very stable)

My system is listed in signature.
GPU is an AMD HD 4670 (not overclocked)
Monitor connected via HDMI cable (6ft)
Monitor is a generic HP 22" widescreen

I uninstalled 10.11 drivers, rebooted. Rebooted again into Safe Mode. Ran Drive Sweeper. Rebooted again. Installed 10.12.

I'll try your suggestion of installing the 10.10 drivers, as I have several older drivers downloaded.

I tried the suggestion of replacing the drivers with the older 10.10 however, I'm still seeing the same issue. This weekend, I plan to crack the case (can be a major ordeal since I have to pull it out of it's little cubby in the desk) and reseat the video card. When I do that, I also plan to add another fan into the cubby to assist with more cooling.

Back