Getting digital out on my computer

Olli1324

n00b
Hi,

I recently bought a new shuttle box, after my old one died. Unfortunately, this new shuttle (SN26SG2) has no digital out.

I need either coax or optical digital out to go to my DAC, thus hifi.

Are there USB solutions for this? I don't particularly want to get a PCI card because there isn't an awful lot of room in the shuttle and I worry dearly about my new box overheating.

Cheers,
Olli

A pci sound card won't really do much in terms of heat, however if you insist on USB audio I think the EMU 0404 USB is your best best. There is also the M-Audio Transit and the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX.

The only issue with cheap USB boards is that they generally resample all the sound to 48KHz. Considering you have a DAC you'd probably prefer an unaltered sound (44.1KHz).

That info about USB options is slightly off-putting - I don't want it getting in the way of my music!

I have been having a snoop for cheap PCI cards (England) , but I am having very little luck. Does anyone know any PCI cards that facilitate the coaxial out? (Cheap as possible ;))

Look for the E-MU 0404. I picked mine up for about $70 used new 2-3 years back. Even cheaper now! Great sound analog output, and bitperfect digital output in both optical and coax! Inputs for both too! :)

Isn't there usually a way to reassign one of the analog outputs to output digital in software for the integrated sound? I tried to look it up for you in the manual but I couldn't find your model. Are you sure the model number for that shuttle isnt sn68sg2?

Ah yes, you got the model right. It is indeed the SN68SG2. Although I have never heard of reassigning analogue outputs to digital... And a quick look through the sound software (Realtek) yields no positive results.

The EMU card seems a little expensive, coming in at around 45 squids.

I did just find the Shuttle PC17 accessory - I plug it into the motherboard via the appropriate header and it adds optical digital in/out functionality. Not badly priced, either, at around a tenner. However, That would require buying a new optical lead (I already have a coax cable), so I would need to factor that in.

Back