Getting console game audio through 5.1 computer speakers.

Harb

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 10, 2007
Messages
155
I just got an X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card (with the I/O bay box) and Logitech z5500 speakers. I'm getting a Westinghouse LVM-37W3 that will serve as my computer monitor and TV, and I plan to play video games on it (xBox and PS2 for now, PS3 and 360 later) and I want to get my console sound through my surround sound. What is the best way to go about doing this?

It looks like that there are a L and R audio outputs on the back of the TV and inputs on the bay box for my sound card. I suppose this could work, but would I get 5.1 out of that setup? The speaker control box and the sound card bay box both have optical in connections; can I use those to get 5.1? The only reason I don't want to use the optical is because optical cables aren't cheap, and I would have to swap the cables in and out when I went from playing one system to another.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do and what should I do?

Thanks!
 
optical cables are cheap if you know were to look.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=3&CATID=34&ObjectGroup_ID=151

You could buy the cheapest optical cable and it will give you the same exact sound quality as the most expensive one there. why? because the signal is digital 1 and 0 and it is transfered by light. as long as the cable is working the signal is perfect.:D

edit:
here is an optical splitter:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=180-964

BTW Parts Express is an excellent place to buy audio parts. I can say that they are reliable and they ship with a free catalog!
 
Back
Top