Getting Bluescreen on 680? help

Tzantza

n00b
System specs:
Asus maximus IV gene-z gen3
Zotac GTX 680 (nothing touched. all stock clocks)
Intel Core i7 2600k
OCZ vertex 3
Silverstone strider 750" 80+ silver PSU.
Windows 7 64bit

Getting bluescreen while playing battlefield 3.

This is all it gives me to go on:

BCCode: 50
BCP1: FFFFFA770723F6D0
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: FFFFF80002AB782C
BCP4: 0000000000000007
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

System is brand new. installed the last hardware and then software yesterday. and im really not good with this stuff so. i have no idea whats going on.

- Dennis

Doing any overclocking, system, cpu or otherwise?

No. only thing ive touched is the fan profile using MSI afterburner. thought maybe its cuz the GPU gets too hot. havent seen any more bluescreens.. but then again. ive had three bluescreens so far. 1 in crysis while i wasnt even at the computer. and 2 in BF3.

Ran it. says theres nothing wrong there.

perhaps its stability related. can you explain to me how i install the new drivers for my motherboard? ><..

Asus Maximus IV gene-z gen3. i remember reading somewhere peopel had some stability problems with this board and the 680. untill a bios or chipset update or something. dont remember where i read it tho.

but whenever i DL the updates or w/e it saves as ''ROM.file'' wich... i cant open or use or anything ?... im 100% new to all this so.. bare with me if its somethign obvious im missing ><

Experiencing random Lockups. Entire system freezes. no error messages. no response on crtl-alt-del. can only hit hte reset switch.

Still dont know howto update my bios (Asus says theres a new bios update for my board. but the file shows as ROM.file. no idea what im supossed to do now :(

Experiencing random Lockups. Entire system freezes. no error messages. no response on crtl-alt-del. can only hit hte reset switch.

Still dont know howto update my bios (Asus says theres a new bios update for my board. but the file shows as ROM.file. no idea what im supossed to do now :(

I'm sure ASUS provides some sort of update utility with their motherboards. Look at what's on the disc that came with it.

Load optimized defaults in your mobo BIOS. You also need to install chipset and Intel RST drivers (for your SSD).

do i NEED to put something on a USB stick? cuz i dont have one :/ or can i jsut run it from the ssd or something ?

listen.. i have NO idea what to install. or how.. i relaly need help with this. like.. detailed help beyond ''go read this on this site'' because ive never. to this date. ever found a site. for anything i needed. that explained something so a person who doesnt know much about computers. can actualyl figure it out...

flashing bios - do i NEED a usb stick for the new bios update? or can i run it from the ssd?.
RST drivers?. i have no idea what that is. where to find it. or howto do it. help ><...

havent found any update utilities. else id have tried it allready :/

listen.. i have NO idea what to install. or how.. i relaly need help with this. like.. detailed help beyond ''go read this on this site'' because ive never. to this date. ever found a site. for anything i needed. that explained something so a person who doesnt know much about computers. can actualyl figure it out...

flashing bios - do i NEED a usb stick for the new bios update? or can i run it from the ssd?.
RST drivers?. i have no idea what that is. where to find it. or howto do it. help ><...

havent found any update utilities. else id have tried it allready :/

Here is a collecting of codes to help you out some.I also think you need to increase voltage in the BIOS for the RAM.
EG:My ram is rated for 1.5v but I run it at 1.65v in the BIOS.

Code:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke41;12335363 
I think this may be helpful for some of you,found this on XS

The OverClockers BSOD code list
BSOD codes for overclocking
0x101 = increase vcore
0x124 = increase/decrease vcore or QPI/VTT...have to test to see which one it is
0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore
0x1E = increase vcore
0x3B = increase vcore
0x3D = increase vcore
0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary, can also be unstable Ram, raise Ram voltage
0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances
0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x
0x109 = Not enough or too Much memory voltage
0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)
0x7E = Corrupted OS file, possibly from overclocking. Run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r

and for all of you with GB mobos you should read this;
http://www.overclock.net/intel-general/910467-ultimate-sandy-bridge-oc-guide-p67a.html

Not many people will hold your hand over the internet.

Your motherboard came with a manual. Those help a lot.

Last edited:
No problem. You'll get some help. Forget about flashing your motherboard bios. Just load the optimized defaults for now. As per drivers, I suggest you load the Intel chipset drivers for your Z68 motherboard. You also need the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver (RST).

CHIPSET

RST

THUMPer1. What bios utility. wish people would comment after reading... not before. no offense. i apretiate any help i can get. But ive checked for Asus update tools and whatnot. i CANT find any.

and the only ''utility'' ive found on the disk. is AsusUpdate. wich for some reason. wont run. so.. im in the dark.

@StryderxX got the intel chipset drivers updated now. allso did the LAN.

running the RST thingie. but. sitll no idea what its for ><

@ StryderxX Ran the RST thingie. installed it and rebooted and so on. so now what ? :p

@ StryderxX Ran the RST thingie. installed it and rebooted and so on. so now what ? :p

Now do whatever you did before and see if your PC blue screens again. Also as someone mentioned you might have to manually set the voltage for your RAM in the motherboard BIOS to 1.6v

Yep, just that for now. Go run some benchmarks or play a few games and see if the PC is stable.

I had issues with crashing randomly, not during gaming but mostly idling. I upgraded BIOS for my motherboard and I think it has been fine :) I hope it works for you.

Since i updated RTS and the intel chipset thingie or w/e it was i havent had any freezing nor bluescreens.

Tried pushing it even and still no bad results. hoping it stays this way :p

after several hours. of nothing bad happening i had another bluescreen jsut now. think i gotta try with the bios update thingie.

Do i need to put the ROM.file on something or can i just save it to my SSD and load it from there once im in the bios ?

after several hours. of nothing bad happening i had another bluescreen jsut now. think i gotta try with the bios update thingie.

Do i need to put the ROM.file on something or can i just save it to my SSD and load it from there once im in the bios ?

If I were to guess, I'd guess that your OCZ Solid state drive is not operating as it should. To test if there is something wrong with your Vertex3, try installing your Windows 7 on a normal hard drive and boot from that hard drive. Then use the computer and see if you still get any bluescreen.

If you get no bluescreen, then we can deduce that your Vertex 3 is a factor in the BSODs.
If you don't have firmware version 2.15 for your Vertex 3 then it is recommended you get it:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/21934

Last edited:
uhmm. okay its good to know that but.. what do i do now then. when i dont have a second drive to install windows to ?... :/ then i cant update it or what ?

I ran 'WhoCrashed' to check whats wrong. hopefully this will be easier to find out since you guys know alot more about this than i do. so this is the info its giving me Upon Bluescreens.

BugCheck Name: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
BugCheck Code: 0x50
Parameter(s): 0xFFFFFA770723F6D0 - 0x0 - 0xFFFFF80002AB782C - 0x7

This particular one has occured 3 times now. each with different parameters (no idea if this means anything tho >< so please bare with me)

Additional Parameters:

0xFFFFF80BOB333770 - 0x0 - 0xFFFFF88004BAA2EB - 0x5
0xFFFFFA8A071FAA0C - 0x0 - 0xFFFFF8800FDF082E - 0x5

BugCheck Name: CACHE_MANAGER. BugCheck Code: 0x34
Parameter:
0x50853 - 0xFFFFF88003F46358 - 0xFFFFF88003F45BB0 - 0xFFFFF80002C8356C

BugCheck Name: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM. BugCheck Code: 0x24
Parameter:
0xC08A5 - 0x0 - 0x0 - 0x0

BugCheck Name: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. BugCheck Code: 0xA
Parameter: 0xFFFFFAB60B1BE193 - 0x2 - 0x0 - 0xFFFFF80002CE3489

the IRQL one. has happend twice. so? i have no clue what this stuff means. tried googling but.. still nothing.. really hope someone can help :/

Thank you all in advance :/

This new info tells us a few things. The first two errors (page fault & cache manager) are pointing to memory errors. Have you increased the voltage to your RAM in your BIOS? If you still have the packaging for the RAM you purchased check to see how much voltage it needs to operate properly and match that in your BIOS settings. The third error is pointing to your SSD. You might have to update the firmware of your OCZ SSD. Also check your device manager to see if there's anything that is not being identified correctly or is missing drivers. The last error is pointing to your motherboard. The only suggestion there is to update the BIOS of your ASUS board.

I have not touched RAM settings yet. i looked at it. but.. couldent figure out howto. It runs at 1.65 - 1.68V on the RAM back and fourth. dunno waht to do tho.

someone suggested the memory could be alittle buggy and some had seen improvements by running the RAM at 1333Mhz instead of 1600. so tried that. so far no crashes but obviously it wont be enough.

So when it comes to the SSD firmware. how do i go about doing that. when i have no additional drives to use for it ? Nor another computer i can hook the SSD upto. and boot from to do so?.

as for the BIOS update. is there a way to run the new BIOS from the ssd?. or do i NEED a flashstick to put it on?. still got no clue what to do really. But i apretiate you taking the time to help me out with this.

Your motherboard uses an EFI BIOS so its very easy to navigate since you have a full GUI. Go to the advanced mode in the BIOS and look for DRAM Voltage. You should be able to change it from auto to 1.65.

You have to take the time and read some of the information on the following links:

OCZ Vertex 3 Firmware

Asus Maximus IV gene-z/gen3 BIOS

NOTE: I'd be irresponsible if I didn't warn you that these options come with a level of risk. Back up any data you want to keep and bare in mind that there is a real possibility that you can brick your SSD or motherboard. Read all the information that OCZ and ASUS have available before attempting anything.

Good luck.

so.. i still cant figure out... can i do the bios and the ssd updates as i am... or do i need to get all sorts of thingsl ike.. a second drive (my board only suppports sata.. no IDE. so i cant use any of my old ones.) OR a flash drive to put stuff on...

I've read it again and again. cant find anything stating wether i can or cannot do it. and i dont wanna touch anything. unless im sure howto pull it off

so.. i still cant figure out... can i do the bios and the ssd updates as i am... or do i need to get all sorts of thingsl ike.. a second drive (my board only suppports sata.. no IDE. so i cant use any of my old ones.) OR a flash drive to put stuff on...

I've read it again and again. cant find anything stating wether i can or cannot do it. and i dont wanna touch anything. unless im sure howto pull it off

YOU CAN; download the utilities and bios/firmware within Windows and just update it that way

uhmm. okay its good to know that but.. what do i do now then. when i dont have a second drive to install windows to ?... :/ then i cant update it or what ?

If you want to update the firmware on your Vertex 3 then unfortunately you'll need to get a new hard drive and use the new hard drive (or new ssd) as c:. The OCZ Toolbox doesn't support updating the firmware if the SSD is the boot drive ( c: ). So you need to have a different boot drive and use your Vertex 3 as secondary drive (d: or other letter than c: ).

Use the OCZ toolbox application to see what firmware your Vertex 3 currently is at. If it already is at 2.15 then I'd still suggest buying a new HDD to use as boot drive to verify if your SSD is connected to the BSOD.

Also, if you bought the whole system from a seller, you should contact them and ask them to fix the BSOD. You have warranty, right?

Checked and it says the firmware IS indeed 2.15, so. should i jsut return it and get anotehr or something else?.

Or should i try with the Bios first and see if that corrects it ?

#1 - Thats not the board i have.
#2 - if its SO easy. then why not tell me jsut what exactly IM lookign for. isntead of pointing me to previously mentioned ''help pages'' wich ive stated twice now. i get NOTHING from. im NEW to this. newb. total freshman. cut me some slack and tell me what im looking for instead of telling me to read a manual ive read 5 times (all out. every single page. not just skulking over each page to see if something makes sense in relation to bios or updates).

I need some real directions. when it comes to this stuff. and im ASKING for help. so if you wont help beyond saying read this read that. or go home and sell your comptuer. then. dont reply ?. i dont see the issue in asking for help when you REALLY need it.

now. if you WANT to help. then TELL ME. straight up. NOW. the NAME........ of the application or program im looking for. instead of hinting to looking for it. ive allready told you here that ive looked. and found nothing.

I say, return the system to the vendor (- call them and ask for an RMA number and describe the issue). They need to have better quality control. Tell them that you suspect that it might be the SSD or some other component and that you want them to run their diagnostics and replace the parts that are causing the crashes and freezes. Alternatively you want to get a whole new system.

When you buy a whole system you should not have to do any voltage tweaking or non-trivial changes to get your system to work. I strongly suspect that no BIOS update will help you in this case anyway, so it is best to return the system to the vendor and either get a refund or a new replacement system if they can't fix it.

I built the system myself. so its not a prebuilt system, i should have mentioned this in the first post. my apologies.

I lowered my RAM to 1333 from 1600. last night at some point and i've so far had no new crashes.

Still got no idea if it helped anything or if im jsut lucky tho. jsut read a tip somewhere about that so.

Back