Getting back into PC Gaming advice needed

Kerbysj

n00b
Hi afer a number of years getting back into PC gaming and need some advice when it comes to a decent build.

I have sitting under my desk my backup Vitalised host.

Its a Xeon E3-1225, TYAN S5515 Motherboard and 8GB Ram

I was looking at getting a Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB + decent sized samsung EVO SSD.

Im only looking to use this on 1080p TV or moved about temporary to a decent monitor from time to time.

Will i be ok with playing BF4 etc on ultra with 60fps?

OR would i be best off selling the kit i have and geting an i5 etc?

You don't need a 780/290 to have Ultra settings playable. 270 would do the trick for far less or equivalent.

i guess im trying to futureproof really!

Would you suggest keeping away from the beefier cards?

Are you looking to play single player or multiplayer? Right at this moment the R9-290 is very hard to get because of the mining craze. I run 290 crossfire, but a single card can manage around 55fps average on ultra with 150% scaling in a 64 man server.

You don't need a 780/290 to have Ultra settings playable. 270 would do the trick for far less or equivalent.

An R7-270 averages a little less than 60fps on high settings at 1080p in single player. Go back and read his post again, he wants 60 fps on ultra.

Multiplayer and single really. What about a 7950?

More worried about using the kit i have. Didnt want it to be my bottle neck. Only thinking of using it as its sitting under my desk not being used.

Multiplayer and single really. What about a 7950?

More worried about using the kit i have. Didnt want it to be my bottle neck. Only thinking of using it as its sitting under my desk not being used.

Good luck finding a 7950, anything GCN (besides the 270/270X) seems to be sold out everywhere with sky high prices.

The 1225 won't be a problem, it is esseintially the same as an i5-2500. I just built a budget machine for a friend with a 2500k specificially for BF4, no overclocks it does perfectly fine. I tested it with the GTX 580 he is going to use, I get around 45-50fps on high preset 1080p in multiplayer and it manages well over 100fps with one of my 290's on the same settings.

Personally, I would go 780 or 290 and not look back. I messed around with pretty much every single card on the market and those seem to offer the best performance at an affordable price but will still last for a few years. Both can be faster than the Titan with a little bump on the clock speeds.

What power supply does that machine have? As a server box that would be my only worry.

sure its a 850 corsair TX, is it TX?

Its a few years old now but its been a great power supply!

I can get 2x AMD VTX HD7950 for £350 or XFX Radeon HD 7950 Double Dissipation for £180

sure its a 850 corsair TX, is it TX?

Its a few years old now but its been a great power supply!

I can get 2x AMD VTX HD7950 for £350 or XFX Radeon HD 7950 Double Dissipation for £180

If you can get a 7950 for a decent price it is a good card, but if I was going for two I would check prices on a 290.

TX850 should be fine with any of those choices. I've heard some bad things about the XFX DD coolers but I have no first hand experience with them.

im only going to go singular. what about the above card. my credit card is burning! lol

im only going to go singular. what about the above card. my credit card is burning! lol

A 280X is the same thing as a 7970, if you can get a 7950 for 180 the 280X is not worth the extra, they are pretty close out of the box and most 7950 OC nicely.

GTX780 unless u get an 290 with artic cooler.

The 290 runs fine with it's stock cooler and with past MSRP left a lot of room in price vs the 780GTX to add any cooling you wanted. I got mine for $386 and could add a waterblock and still be cheaper then the 780GTX.

BITECOIN has the market screwed up big time..and as for 7950 or 290 I have play BF 4 with both and the 290 is a lot more powerful at 1080p.

i played bf4 with a sapphire 7970 and while it played most maps fine at ultra at 60fps+ . Some maps, floodzone, hainan, paracel hit around 45-50 at certain spots. I think if you can find a 280x that would get the job done.

Treated myself to this tasty little number! 4GB MSI Radeon R9 290

You should enjoy it, I set mine to 55% max fan speed 1000/1300 and +50% power target fresh out of the box and never experienced any throttling. It is much faster than a 7970, thats for sure.

A 280x would fit the bill perfectly, but those cards are hard to find!

Well got an email late last night saying that my card is now not in stock.. although the webpage said in stock, also when i called them to check payment went through no one mentioned it.

Apparently expecting deliver on he 20th.. im beginning to doubt that...

Most AMD GPU's based on the GCN architectures are sold out due to litecoin mining craze. Plus if they do come back in stock the retailers are going to charge you a shitload more over their normal pricing. You will have to wait for I don't know how long to get one for reasonable price. I don't see the price performance in these cards anymore - all thanks to the miners.
If you need one now for your pc gaming rig and want to play games now you'll have to get a GTX780 or any GTX700 series.

Back