Getting audio from an FLV video

Lazarey

Gawd
I need to get the audio from a FLV video. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this? I'm done some searching, but I couldn't find anything.

Also, while we're on the subject, I'd love to be able to convert FLV and MP4 videos to AVI or something I can put on my Sansa MP3 player.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

MediaCoder should be able to transcode from FLV to any format you want, including just audio, or some audio/video container format. Just realize that transcoding to another format means quality loss, so as long as you're cool with that, MediaCoder (a free open source transcoder) should handle anything you're looking to do.

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

Worse comes to worse, use Audacity

Set Audacity to start a recording and start it, then press Play on your media player so it starts playing the FLV file. If things are working right, Audacity will pick up the audio through the Windows mixer. If not, change Audacity's input source (near the middle of the screen where it drops down the menu and you choose from CD/Mic/Line-In/WAV. Set it for WAV and it'll grab anything going to the soundcard as WAV data, meaning that audio from the FLV.

I use online sites to convert media and strip audio. Here's an example. The site I have used previously seems to be down presently, but they are all similar.

If you can download the video locally, I know that Tunebite is an app that can do what you're asking. I haven't personally tried it using a url to the FLV file, but you can try out their demo and see what you think.

Audacity is a decent "worse case scenario". Though the options presented in the dropdown list of audio sources will vary based on your soundcard. For example, Audacity on my machine has an additional entry called "What U Hear" (written just like that). But that's getting a little off-topic.... Point is that Audacity can do the job if you can't find a more seamless method.

I've seen some great Flash & Shockwave decompilers that allow you to extract the audio file straight from FLVs & SWFs. That might be another method to take a look at.

Great stuff guys, I'll check it all out when I'm not so busy!
I downloaded Media Coder, but it crashed bad when I tried to use it. I'm going to re-install it and see what happens.

I use VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ plays everything fine., including FLV.
Have used it for years with no problems.
Comes with every codec you need.
Try it, you may like it.
Except for Winamp, its the only other media player I use :D.

He's not looking for something to play FLV files, he's looking for something that can extract the audio track from such files, if such a thing exists.

Personally I just fire up Sound Forge myself (had it for nearly a decade now), but if you're cheap or don't wish to pay for Sound Forge, then Audacity as recommended is an excellent solution as well. Play the FLV, record the audio as it's being played, save as WAV or mp3, etc (mp3 requires installing the LAME encoder, instructions on the Audacity site with links).

Oh, sorry about that :rolleyes:.
Then use AoA Audio Extractor http://www.aoamedia.com/audioextractor.htm
Great free program, and very easy to use.
Have used it several time to extract audio from Youtube into mp3s (will extract into several formats) for my kids iPods.
Oh, and you can also choose what bitrate you want the file encode into.

Nice find, you should add that to the Free Software stickie thread here in this subforum.

need audio from an flv file?

Install mplayer. The audio files can then be extracted using MPlayer "mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile foo.mp3 foo.flv"

enjoy

Yeah, you could use both FLV extract and an audio recorder to rip audio from FLV straightly. They are simple to use, but you need to follow the requirements. You may output the audio file as MP3 or a compatible format.

Hope my answer can help you.

ffmpeg -i "file.flv" -acodec copy "file.aac"
ffmpeg -i "file.mp4" -acodec copy "file.aac"

Then, if you want to put the raw aac in an mp4 container so you can add tags to it etc.:

mp4box -add "file.aac" ipod -mpeg4 -out "file.m4a"

If you want to convert the aac audio to wav, you can do:

faad "file.aac"

If you then need to encode the wav file as mp3, you can do:

lame -V2 -b192 "file.wav" -o "file.mp3"

This package has a version of mp4box, ffmpeg, faad and lame that you can use. Just extract it and double-left-click startffmpeg.cmd in the bin folder to load a command prompt with ffmpeg and the others in the PATH.

You might want to replace the version of ffmpeg in the package with a newer version though.

To convert a wmv file to a webm file (vp8 + vorbis) for example, you can do:

ffmpeg -i "file.wmv" "file.webm"

There's also ffmpeg2theora for a straightforward way to convert to an ogv file ( theora + vorbis).

On ubuntu, you just apt-get install the packages like ffmpeg, lame, faad etc (or find them in the package manager). Building mp4box is a bit of a pain though. The directions are here, but you may find that the xulrunner package you download is incompatible. So, you'll have to disable js support with the configure command or grab the latest JS stuff from the Mozilla trunk. Fortunately, the JS stuff isn't needed to do the mp4box command above.

Back