Getting a gaming Laptop

MrCoffee

Limp Gawd
I've got 4 days of classes today with about 3 hour span between, so to pass the time I'll be investing in a gaming laptop :D

But, i have no clue whats good when it comes to prices, processors, etc.
Any advice on good brands, setups, or deals would be greatly appreciated.

Looking to spend around 2-2.5k on this as well.

Well I really think youll enjoy the time between classes to study, or take breaks, but if you need to game, check out the Dell XPS systems.

The M1710 will be a good choice if you want something so big.

I just ordered a M1210 with a T7200 and a 7400 Go.

Operating System
Genuine Windows XP Media Center 2005Memory
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)Hard Disk Drive
120 GB EIDE Hard Drive (5400 RPM)Video
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 HyperMemoryScratch & Dent
Scratch & DentBase
Inspiron 9400/E1705 Notebook: Intel Core Duo Processor T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz FSB)Media Bay
8x DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capabilityNetwork Interface Card
Intel Pro Wireless 3945NoteBook Screen
17 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Notebook Screen

Found this on dell's outlet site for 979$

Looks like a good deal?

What kinds of games are you expecting to play on the laptop? I have a M1210 and it is quite capable of gaming. Titan Quest / HL2 run at near max settings with decent frame rates - Oblivion runs at med-low settings. I didn't buy it as a gaming laptop but rather a highly portable laptop that is capable of playing games.

Naturally, the more graphics you're trying to push, the larger your laptop will be (and smaller the battery life). I had one of the original XPS laptops and that thing was a huge pain to carry around.

MrCoffee said:
Operating System
Genuine Windows XP Media Center 2005Memory
120 GB EIDE Hard Drive (5400 RPM)Video
Scratch & DentBase
Inspiron 9400/E1705 Notebook: Intel Core Duo Processor T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz FSB)Media Bay
8x DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capabilityNetwork Interface Card
Intel Pro Wireless 3945NoteBook Screen
17 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Notebook Screen

Found this on dell's outlet site for 979$

Looks like a good deal?

if you build a 1705 on dell.com with the same specs its 1597 with a 3 year limited warrenty. Thats worth roughly 200-250(it doesnt give the option to remove).

So you're saving 600, but losing a warrenty.

Gonna use it for EQ2 / HL2 / Maybe Vanguard. Dont really care of Oblivion, so thast not an issue.

And its going to be a portable desktop, what im going for. So i dont worry about battery life, since i've got an DC outlet converter in my car, and always plan to be near an outlet :]

Operating System
Genuine Windows XP HomeMemory
100 GB EIDE Hard Drive (5400 RPM)Video
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 HyperMemoryCertified Refurbished
Certified RefurbishedBase
Inspiron 9400/E1705 Notebook: Intel Core Duo Processor T2250 (1.73GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)Media Bay
8x DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capabilitySoftware Upgrade
McAfee SecurityCenter with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 24-months
Microsoft Office Small Business 2003NoteBook Screen
17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Notebook Screen
Network Interface Card Intel Pro Wireless 3945
System Price : $1,069.00

or

Operating System
Genuine Windows XP HomeMemory
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)Hard Disk Drive
100 GB EIDE Hard Drive (5400 RPM)Video
Scratch & DentSoftware Upgrade
McAfee SecurityCenter with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 24-months
Microsoft Office 2003 Basic EditionBase
Inspiron 9400/E1705 Notebook: Intel Core Duo Processor T2300 (1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)
Media Bay 8x DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
Network Interface Card Intel Pro Wireless 3945
Bluetooth Wireless Card
NoteBook Screen
17 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife
System Price : $1,119.00

One has double ram, and a little less proc speed.

one has XGA+ one has UXGA

Anyone shead some light on which would be the better buy?

The second one has WUXGA (1920 x 1200), while the first is WSXGA (1680 x 1050). With only an x1400, which AFAIK uses system memory as well as its own, you will have a very hard time pushing WUXGA. Unless you're willing to spend the big bux on expensive notebook gfx cards (which requires going to a beefier laptop), I would look for some reviews of the x1400 Mobile and see if it can even push either of those resolutions.

Remember, the e1705 is a multimedia notebook, not a gaming one. You might want to get the xps m1710, but I've found that to be overpriced.

infiniti029 said:

QFT

Depending on how portable your looking for a gaming laptop to be, the Asus W3J is probably the most capable lightweight notebook for playing games.

SILVR 6 said:
QFT

Depending on how portable your looking for a gaming laptop to be, the Asus W3J is probably the most capable lightweight notebook for playing games.

Im really looking for a 17" screen though. I dont care about it running AA4x ASFx8 or whatever, as long as I can play the game at simi-decent graphics with steady FramesPerSec, i'll be happy.

MrCoffee said:
Im really looking for a 17" screen though. I dont care about it running AA4x ASFx8 or whatever, as long as I can play the game at simi-decent graphics with steady FramesPerSec, i'll be happy.

If you are planning on carrying this thing around between classes i really suggest you look at a 14.1" or 15.4" notebook. I've had a couple of Dell 17" notebooks and i don't like how big and heavy a 17" notebook is. I have a 14.1" now and i like it much better for mobility. The Asus W3J would be your best choice if you are looking to spend close to 2k on one. If you are planning on gaming quite a bit i would get something that has the Go 7600 or X1600 in it like the W3J.

Get an Inspiron E1705 with a Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, and Geforce 7900GS and use the 20% off coupon HERE to get a nice laptop for a good price.

The laptop weight isint going to be an issue, im 6'4" and have a pretty good workout regiment ;]

But i've got four days of classes, and 3 hour breaks each day, and driving back and forth isint going to be reasonable. I've wanted a laptop for a while, and have the $$ atm to purchase one.

17" is something that I definately want, as I'll be watching movies, web shows, etc on it, and like the larget screen.

why not do hw during that time so you can play games when you are at home? :confused:

;)

MrCoffee said:
The laptop weight isint going to be an issue, im 6'4" and have a pretty good workout regiment ;]

But i've got four days of classes, and 3 hour breaks each day, and driving back and forth isint going to be reasonable. I've wanted a laptop for a while, and have the $$ atm to purchase one.

17" is something that I definately want, as I'll be watching movies, web shows, etc on it, and like the larget screen.

Yeah, it might be what you want, but do you intend to use it in class? Because if you do, you're not going to want something that big. I have my choice of laptops to take to class, from D820s down to X60s and I take my X41 tablet every day, it's the only one that fits on the desk, I can take notes in tablet form and I can fit papers or my book on the desk with it. With a 15.4 or larger, it's just not pracitical to use in class. If you're not going to be using it in class, I'd say go with a Dell Precision M90, it kicks ass as a 17 incher.

The dell 1705 is only about 8lbs... I dont really see how someone can say thats to heavy. But in any case, for a good performing and reasonably sized/weight laptop for a good price the 1705 and 1505 at dell look great.

jtzako said:
The dell 1705 is only about 8lbs... I dont really see how someone can say thats to heavy. But in any case, for a good performing and reasonably sized/weight laptop for a good price the 1705 and 1505 at dell look great.

Well 8 Pounds plus 30+ pounds of books on your back/shoulders is going to be heavy. I have stopped bring my iXPS2 to class and stuff because of that reason it got to heavy. And walking 5-15 mins to class doesnt help at all. I would look for a 15.4in laptop. Unless you like the extra weight a 17in is great but heavy.

jtzako said:

My laptop is 6.5 lbs and I could never take it anywhere with me. I am rather short - 5'6" - but can bench about 240, but walking from one end of UMD to the other is killer with that laptop along with all my books.

jtzako said:

It's not that something that is 8lbs is all that heavy because i also workout a lot and can easily carry around something that is 8lbs if i wanted to but it's the fact that it is a 17" widescreen and it is awkward to carry something like that around compared to like a 14.1" or 15.4" that weighs less then 6 lbs. My hp dv2000t weighs like 5.5lbs i think and it's just right for mobility IMO. I have a 20.1" widescreen LCD on my desk so i prefer the smaller the better for the laptop as long as i don't sacrifice performance. I have a T7200, 2 gigs of RAM, and a 160GB hdd in it so that's as fast as what most of the 17" notebooks offer.

How many times does the man have to say he want's a 17" ..not a debate on how you think a 17" is too awkward ..or too heavy ...

..and one could always buy a large backpack carrying case that will free up some space in your hands...

To the owner of the thread ..may I suggest looking at Sagernotebook.com. They are very reliable notebooks. Also of course for the price the dell 1705/9400 is a good deal. May I also suggest looking at alienware's area 51 series notebooks ..you might find something you like. You might have already looked at these places, but just in case.
Also Cyberpowerpc.com Has the 17" Gamer Xplorer X64-ULTRA you might wanna check out. And of course ABS.com has the mayhem series that you also might be interested in. Just trying to throw you a few places too look ..not sure if it does much help ...but...happy hunting!!

I recently got a Targus 17" notebook carrying case for my e1705 and it's great. I find it really easy to move around with the laptop, especially when I'm riding my bike. It's nice to have a really power gaming notebook that you can move around easily and the e1705 is exactly that.

Look around the internet. Mine was only used once to run a benchmark so it's practically brand new (The guy had a gaming desktop that he used), and I only paid $1200 for it.

Back