• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Getting a "Disk Error" after POST, wont load XP. Help!

Catiaudo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 23, 2002
Messages
282
I went to the mall this morning for a few hours and came back and tried to wake my computer from screen saver mode. It went but I couldn't load any programs or do anything so I restarted. On the restart it POST beeps and goes through everything then says Verifying VMI/DMI whatever it is... Pool Data....

then a few seconds later it says Disk Error press Ctr-Alt-Del to restart. I restart and it doens't do anything. Both my hard drives are recognized in BIOS and it has been working perfectly for months. Anyone know what's up? I have XP Professional CD's if I can do a system recovery or something like that but would like your guy's input first :) The system in question is the first system in my sig.

Thanks!
 
Go into bios and set boot priority to CD Rom.......then pop in your winxp prof and wait till you see a screen and gives you an option of repair or full install..........choose repair and your done....hopefully it would work for you.........



best of luck...
 
Also you can go into your BIOS and see if it is detecting your hard drive. If it is not, then your hard drive might have taken a crap on you.
 
I hit R to do the recovery and it just gives me a C:> What am I supposed to do now?? :(
 
Well I tried doing a "dir" on C: but it wouldn't work... my second drive D: works fine with the dir command. I did chkdsk on C: and it said disk okay but use chkdsk /p . I just started that and it has been at 0% for about 5 minutes. I have a real bad feeling about this :(
 
download the manufacturers diagnostic and check the drive

also BIOS > (typically) PNP\PCI Submenu > Force update ESCD (if available)
 
I'm currently running WD's diagnostic but I have a feeling the drive is dead. Oh well, it's still under warranty I'm sure but I'm probably losing 3000+ pictures from my digital camera, a couple years of my programming (school) and all of my programs, settings, wallpapers, artwork... :( This is the first western digital drive I've ever used and the first hard drive I've ever had fail on me...
 
Back
Top