Getting a 4870X2 have questions

RyanH

Limp Gawd
Ok I decided to get a 4870X2 that will replace my 9800GX2 and would like the transition to be as smooth as possible especially considering so many people have been having problems with ATI Drivers. My resolution is 1920x1200.

1) Do I absolutely have to reinstall my OS/reformat or would it be ok if I just uninstall the Nvidia drivers and then run Driver Cleaner?

2) When a Hotfix driver gets released do I have to completely uninstall the old driver before installing the hotfix or does it install on top of the driver? For example the current Hotfix 2 drivers for 8.10 catalyst would I install the 8.10 and then the Hotfix on top or just the Hotfix? Also I couldnt find the Hotfixes on the AMD site can someone give me a link for those?

3) Are there any games that absolutely do not run well on the 4870X2 in crossfire mode or single card mode? Please don't mention any of the newer games that have come out in the past month or so I'm referring to older releases from the past 5 years or so.

4) I've noticed the stuttering at high framrates with the 9800GX2 (you can call it microstuttering or something else). Does the 4870X2 feel smoother at the higher framrates like 45fps+ compared to the 9800GX2? I'm hoping people who've owned both cards could answer this question. Also, how do the min fps compare from your personal experiences

5) Are there other third party programs I should use to control the overclocking and fan speed control or does the CCC do all of this well enough?

6) My Abit IP35 Pro has one x16 PCI-E 1.1 slot thats enough bandwith for this card correct?

That's all I can think of for now

1)Some people do and others not.I would use uninstall/driver cleaner.Check registry,files and folders.Delte anything nvidia.Worth a shot before reformat.

2)I have been abe to install drivers over existing in vista 64.Hot fix included.
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=38664<br />

3)Only older game i have tryed is sof.Runs fine.

4)Have not owned a 9800GX2.4870 X2 runs smooth in games i play.Only issue for me is FarCry 2 bechmark(not game).Choppy in benchmark.Turning on vsync,triple buffering and turing down AA apeears to help.

Q9450 at 3.4 4870 X2 default clocks.8.10 FC2 hotfix #2.

FarCry2 Benchmark.
Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1920x1200 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(2x), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
Loop 1
Total Frames: 3495, Total Time: 51.01s
Average Framerate: 68.52
Max. Framerate: 96.65 (Frame:473, 5.94s)
Min. Framerate: 46.34 (Frame:2301, 34.26s)

5)If your not going for records and case has good air flow.No third party tools are in need.

6) Others maybeable to help here.I have no data on this.

Good luck.

6) I've found very little data on this, but from my own limited benchmarking it made quite a difference when I went from p35 to p45 with the 4870x2

Howdy. Welcome to the wonderful world of the ATI driver.

1) I think I would first run your nvidia uninstall tool from add/remove, then safe mode and run drivercleaner, then install your ATI driver.If things got wonky, then a fresh install of the OS would be needed.
2) Hot fixes are generally full Catalyst Control Center+Driver packages. I generally treat them as new drivers and unistall/drivercleaner/install; it's just a habit I got into that has not failed me. Some just install right over the old driver set.
3)I have only played COD4,HL2,Crysis1 and 2,STALKER 1 and 2 and FarCry 2 on my current set-up but have really had no problems. ATI drivers seem to be very unprdictable, though.
4) Never owned a 9800 X2 but I did have 8800 GTX triple SLi and every Sli combination going back to the 6800 Ultra. I never saw micro stutter or whatever people are hallucinating, not once. The X2 is pretty smooth.
5)Overdrive from 8.10 on will be all you'll need, RivaTuner is way behind on ATI, essentially because the guy unwinder now works to develop the EVGA Precision Software Packages.8.10 will OC your card and run a fan speed to your choosing, much better than a month or two ago.
6) I don't know about 1.1 vs 2.0. My X48 board has 2.0, however I have two 8800 GTs in SLi on my sons computer with a 680i MB that has two PCI-e x 16 (1.1) and his speed is just fine. The cards have never suffered.

I found the 8.10 HotFix 2 to be pure shit. Here's what happened. 8.10 was released, then on Friday before FarCry 2 was released came the first "hotfix" release especially for FarCry. There was supposedly some issues with textures, ones I really havent seen, but nonetheless people got excited about; so hotfix 2 was released.
My frames in FC2 were reduced in half with #2, and I dont think that release is enabling my CrossfireX at all........YMMV.

I'm going to be honest with you, I have spent more time screwing around with drivers since I went with ATI than I ever did with SLI. With nvidia it was load 'em up and play. With my Crossfire, things have just never been quite right. I am disappointed in these cards, especially given the price. I am delighted with my MB, it has been a rock. BUT...........when Intel supports SLi in the X58 release, I am strongly considering jumping back to nvidia SLI. I'm looking at mid 2009 and probably will completely re-do my computer.

Ya thanks for the responses so far, I appreciate it. I would have no problem waiting for the next refresh from nvidia and ati but doesnt look like anything new will be coming out till summer 09 except for possible 55nm parts from nvidia. :rolleyes: I would like to know how big a difference there is between 1.1 and 2.0 PCI-E on the 4870x2 and the GTX 280 too for that matter I havent found any benchmarks comparing the two standards yet though.

Back