Getting a 4850. got some questions.

Dark12

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 13, 2003
Messages
1,918
Hey all.
I was able to get a 4850 for a really nice deal from a fellow [H] member so I am passing my 8800gts onto my girlfriend's rig to try the red team out. I know this isn't much of an upgrade, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to experiment.
Anyway, this particular 4850 is cooled by this so I am excited to try an overclock. I am curious if I should be looking to dive into volt mods and bios flashes. Do they yield a noticeable increase? I have experience in doing this with some older cards like the 9800pro and X1800XTPE.
Also, it appears the 4850 supports DX10.1. Will this provide any gaming improvements over 10.0?

I appreciate any comments or suggestions!
 
Usually ocing won't increase real world performance...as in you won't notice the difference in games from stock clocks. I wouldn't volt mod it, I'd just enjoy the card as is.
 
Hey all.
I was able to get a 4850 for a really nice deal from a fellow [H] member so I am passing my 8800gts onto my girlfriend's rig to try the red team out. I know this isn't much of an upgrade, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to experiment.
Anyway, this particular 4850 is cooled by this so I am excited to try an overclock. I am curious if I should be looking to dive into volt mods and bios flashes. Do they yield a noticeable increase? I have experience in doing this with some older cards like the 9800pro and X1800XTPE.
Also, it appears the 4850 supports DX10.1. Will this provide any gaming improvements over 10.0?

I appreciate any comments or suggestions!
it oc pretty well with voltage.if its worth it is a matter of opinion and your preference, I would but you might not see it as being worthwhile.

as for DX10.1 it does indeed provide a considerable performance increase, in the handful of games that actually support it. I would no more suggest making your purchasing decision on that then physx.
 
4850s run VERY hot so haveing that cooler is a good thing I wouldnt volt mod. You should be able to get a nice OC with that cooler. 4850s arent much better than 8800gts but with a decent OC on that card itll pull ahead by a nice %. DX10.1 won't really do anything noticable, except as the above poster said
 
If you know what you are doing with volt moding I have seen 4850 cards doing 800 Mhz on core quite easily so that's a big increase in performance.

Without volt modding you should be getting somewhere in 700-720 Mhz clocks.

However i think that since 8800GTS after OC is similar to GTS250 you are more or less switching for same card as you have.
 
eh alright.
Thanks for the responses. I will update tomorrow when I see how hard I can push it on stock voltages if anyone is interested.
 
Back
Top