• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Getting 5.1 analog from a receiver

Snowypup

n00b
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
40
What's the best way to hook them up and get 5.1 analog surround? Especially for a Xonar D2X card. I also can't use optical because quality is better through analog. I was planning on getting the Onkyo 3100 set but I'm not sure how to hook it up besides it's optical/coaxial connection. What will these cables look like anyway?
 
I plug the amp to the soundcard using 3x 3.5mm jack to stereo RCA/Phono leads.
Get some cheap oxygen free copper cables for better sound quality.
Make sure they are not a ripoff cable.
 
Where are you getting your information that the quality using the analog outputs will be better then using the optical/digital output. I would venture a guess that the DAC in the reciever is better then that of that gaming oriented sound card. Not to mention the better control you will have over the LFE and crossovers.

If for some reason you feel you need to use analog, 3.5mm TRS to RCA cables are all you need. That is, if the receiver in question even has 5.1 analog inputs.
 
Where are you getting your information that the quality using the analog outputs will be better then using the optical/digital output. I would venture a guess that the DAC in the reciever is better then that of that gaming oriented sound card. Not to mention the better control you will have over the LFE and crossovers.

If for some reason you feel you need to use analog, 3.5mm TRS to RCA cables are all you need. That is, if the receiver in question even has 5.1 analog inputs.

The DBAC's on the Xonar are great. I'd need an expensive receiver just to match them, hence why I need to use analog. This is what I find might complicate things if say I wanted to use a HTiB set instead of Z-5500's.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1410076&highlight=xonar+d2x
 
The D2X has good DACs, probably as good or better than the receiver's (if it's cheap) so analog will be better since you have to use lossy/lousy compression to feed 5.1 through a single SPDIF signal. The receiver needs a multi-in with the 6 channel inputs to use 1/8" stereo to RCA cables.
 
Your splitting hairs and making things more complicated for yourself. Take our word for it and just use optical.

No where in that thread did we say anything about a HT receivers DAC. You made that thread comparing the Z5500's DAC to the D2X.

I can almost guarantee that with the speakers that come with that HTIB, you won't notice the difference either way anyway.

Just more work and software configuration for absolutely no gain.
 
Your splitting hairs and making things more complicated for yourself. Take our word for it and just use optical.

No where in that thread did we say anything about a HT receivers DAC. You made that thread comparing the Z5500's DAC to the D2X.

I can almost guarantee that with the speakers that come with that HTIB, you won't notice the difference either way anyway.

Just more work and software configuration for absolutely no gain.
This. All of it. Use SP/DIF.
 
The DACs in my Okyo 875 are nearly as good as those on my Prelude card.
I prefer analogue due to this as well as the ability to play back 5.1 HD material without being restricted to 48KHz/16bit.

OP, I recommend you stick with analogue if you are after the best sound quality.
Unless you get a higher end amp or good external DAC, its unlikely you will beat the DAC on your D2X.
 
So do different receivers need different cables for analog? I thought there would be a cable for each channel (front, rear, center, subwoofer).
 
You just need three stereo 1/8" to 2 RCA, and a receiver that has the 6-channel multi-in, which isn't always the case.
 
Will I need three stereo 1/8" to 2 RCA for these? Also would anyone know if the Onkyo 3100 receiver has 6 channel multi in? If not what would I need for these two to connect via analog.
I'm hoping that when I connect it via analog I won't lose out on the 5.1. How does it work again? I won't get true 5.1 but it will spread 2 channels across 6 channels to emulate 5.1? Something like that.
I believe it's the only way to get 5.1 over games, right? I wonder if I'll get 5.1 for DVDRips, or 720p/1080p rips that have 5.1 built into the .mkv file.

My Sound Card

imageview.php


Onkyo 3100 Receiver

onkyo_ht_s3100_1.JPG
 
A better picture with legible text would have helped so I looked it up for you.
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S3100&class=Systems&p=f
Multi-Channel Input 5.1

So yes, 3 of those leads is what you need as long as the above information matches what the back of your amp says.
If you connect up 5.1 channels you will have true 5.1, not an upmix, as long as the material you are playing back outputs 5.1

Squinting at the picture you provided, it seems that the multi channel analogue inputs are the DVD inputs.
 
Use your DVD input, it has 6 analog audio inputs. You'll have to use the "Front", "Rear" and "Ctr/Sbw" (L=center, R=sub) outputs on the sound card.

You'll get better sound quality in 5.1 through analog than digital overall. If the files you listen to and the games have 5.1 support, you'll get 5.1. If the source is stereo (mp3, etc.) Then the sound card might have some surround feature to make them 5.1, although it often sounds artificial. The sound card will at least send the bass to the subwoofer properly even in stereo.

EDIT: Oops, two other replies appeared!
 
Back
Top