• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Getting 4800 with i5 2500K

Fooshnik

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 6, 2004
Messages
2,922
I'm trying to get to 4800 with my 2500K but I've reached a wall at 4750. Curious if anyone has any suggestions to get a little more out of it that I may not have tried. This is on an Asus Maximus IV. I posted the relevant BIOS settings below. I have the CPU Voltage at 1.38. Below that I get blue screens, above I seem to run into a wall of heat and lock up. I'm using an Antec 620 cooler which is decent but not the best. This is in an mATX case which has limited space for cooling. I did add an additional fan to it. I'm getting max temps of around 74C, at 77 or so it locks up.

I'm actually happy with the 4750, it just feels like running a 26 mile marathon and tripping over my feet 20 yards from the finish.

BCLK: 101
Turbo Ratio: 47
Mem: 1600
DRAM Timing: Auto
VCore PWM: T Probe
VCore Load Line: 75
VRM Switching: 500
Vcore Over Current: 140
CPU Voltage: 1.38
DRAM Volt: 1.5125
VCCSA/IO Volt: 1.15
CPU PLL Volt: 1.8375
PCH Volt: 1.0865

Unmentioned settings are likely set to "Auto".
 
well 77C definitely isn't that high for the processor. so if it is heat related its definitely not the CPU but could be the VRM's overheating. the one weird thing i have seen though is increasing memory voltage for some reason can fix the so called brick wall issue. you could try bumping it up to 1.55v and see what happens, it won't hurt the ram or the processor. if it doesn't work then just put it back where it was.

the other thing is, how much vdroop are you getting on the processor when its under load? you can check with cpu-z, its not 100% accurate but accurate enough.
 
Same proc, and Mobo as you.

I need about 1.38v for 4700mhz

I need around 1.45v for 4.8ghz

and I need 1.5v for 5ghz

You seem to be fine. If you want 4800mhz up the volts some more.
 
Im running the same cooler and @ 4.8 with 1.38 volts, I get 68 on highest core running IBT. But I have a push/pull config on it with 120mm to 140mm fan adapters.
I have the pull fan outside the case attached to the back.

I really wish I would of went with the 920 or the dh-14......
 
Back
Top