Gettin' it on at Fry's

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
The Blankenship Law Firm and Federal Government Advance Employee Rights, Sue National Retail Chain Fry's Electronics for Sexual Harassment and Retaliation

Supervisor Fired for Reporting Sexual Harassment of Female Sales Associate To Fry’s Headquarters and Management

SEATTLE, WA - September 29, 2010 -- National retail chain Fry’s Electronics violated state and federal laws by failing to take action against the sexual harassment of a young female employee and retaliating against her supervisor, Ka Lam, after he spoke out on her behalf. Today the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) filed lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Seattle. The Blankenship Law Firm has already filed claims in Washington state court on May 21, 2010 on Mr. Lam’s behalf and is moving to join the federal case today.

A high-level manager of Fry’s Renton, Washington store began targeting sales associate America Rios in early 2007 for sex. Even though Rios was under 21 years old at the time and had repeatedly refused his advances, the harasser continually sent her sexually charged text messages with invitations to his house and offers of alcohol.

Rios reported the harassment to her immediate supervisor, Ka Lam, one of the first employees at the Fry’s Washington location. When Lam spoke to headquarters and upper management on her behalf, he was told to focus on his job and that some “changes might be happening.” Within days, Fry’s suspended Mr. Lam and shortly thereafter fired him, falsely claiming poor performance. EEOC findings, however, prove that Mr. Lam had never received a bad review and was consistently promoted during his four years with the company.

According to Scott Blankenship, Mr. Lam’s attorney, “Mr. Lam would do it again, even though it cost him his job and a career at Fry’s. Every woman in the workplace is someone’s daughter, mother or sister.”

“I could not stand by and allow Ms. Rios and other women to be exposed to this toxic environment where they were being targeted for sex by Fry’s management, so I stood up for her,” said Mr. Lam.
“These laws protect women, and they would be toothless without people as courageous as Mr. Lam who report sexual harassment in the workplace,” said Seattle attorney Scott Blankenship.
“Washington has a long and proud history of furthering the rights of women and employees. Washington’s Law Against Discrimination has broader remedies and is one of the most comprehensive in the nation. We look forward to working with the EEOC to enforce these important laws and applaud the EEOC’s efforts in further exposing the sexual harassment and retaliation at Fry’s,” said Seattle attorney Scott Blankenship.

The Blankenship Law Firm, P.S., is an AV-rated law firm located in downtown Seattle with lawyers licensed in Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. The firm practice emphasizes employment law, including representing employees in all phases of negotiation and litigation. More information is available online at www.blankenshiplawfirm.com.

Good for this Lam guy. Altough the whole bottom part about Washington standing up for women's right almost made me spray my drink on my monitor.

Personally I think Fry's should have to give the guy either a huge cash settlement. or his job back with a big bump in pay and a new job title of at least Store Manager.

this is fairly disconcerting, albeit not entirely unexpected... yet another reason to take your computer shopping needs to newegg or amazon.

or his job back with a big bump in pay and a new job title of at least Store Manager.

Would you work at a place where corporate fired you for reporting sexual harassment? That's pretty jacked up.

Shouldn't Lam be able to sue Frys for wrongful termination? As far as I know, even if it's an at-will employer, you aren't allowed by law to fire anyone on a basis of retaliation like this...

Would you work at a place where corporate fired you for reporting sexual harassment? That's pretty jacked up.

not sure, if you think about it they would never dare to try to screw him again. then again this whole thing is jacked up. Hopefully Fry's gets their asses handed to them and some heads role.

Just great, I hope this doesn't cause Fry's to jack up their prices to pay for a lawsuit. :mad:

Both should walk away with a years pay, and Fry's should be forced to donate a good 10 million to some women's rights activist group (mainly to piss them off, I'd be pissed off having to donate to such an organization too :p).

Likely not, or just long enough to find another job. I'd be suing their asses off.

Its called job security, after being rehired as part of a settlement you become untouchable, saw it happen at a former job. Though you better be comfortable were your at, cause your never gonna get promoted, your never gonna get a raise, but it is very unlikely you'll ever be fired again. This is the only real reason you might not consider going back to your workplace, unless you can proof that they are singling you out for not getting promotions or raises, you'll never ever get them again and the lawyers are gonna make sure your invisible.

I don't know about most Fry's, but the local one here seems to go out of their way to hire hotties who seem so out of place in a store like Fry's.

Kind of sounds as screwed up as my work. Happens everyday, no one does anything because the higher you go to report it, the more corrupt they are, and the worst your punishment is.

We have a Microcenter, not a Fry's, in Cleveland. They hire retards. Literally.

I don't know about most Fry's, but the local one here seems to go out of their way to hire hotties who seem so out of place in a store like Fry's.

The two in Houston don't.

Not In the DFW area. At all the Fry's stores I've been to you will only find women working as cashiers and they vary quite a bit with regards to quality of appearance. On the sales floor there is nothing but college age to middle aged men. The one exception to this rule is the Garland store which seems to have mostly Hispanic or African American females working the checkout lines and most of the sales staff seems to be made up of men of Middle-Eastern decent.

Definitely hope some heads roll over this. Mr. Lam should get a couple mill, or full manager level retirement.

I know if I was in upper management at some big company, I would want to hire people like Mr. Lam.

I am so sick of how big companies are managed for the most part. This is just another reason to never want to work for a big company.

Damn, the Fry's near me has mostly Indians working there, and NONE of them are anything close to hot.

Damn, the Fry's near me has mostly Indians working there, and NONE of them are anything close to hot.
In the bay area, northern california, the demographics differ by store. Drive 30 minutes in either direction and you could sware your visiting a fry's in another country from the previous.

Not a huge suprise. One thing that's always struck me about the Renton Fry's is the way the employees act. There are some good ones, but they are few and far between. Always makes me wonder what the management of the store is like if the employees are like that.

...Well.... I love it how in many companies they talk about no retaliation ... lol

Well, here's one example why all that is a bunch of crap.

Come between a suit's bonus money, love intrest, time off, etc and you'll find out in a hurry it really doesn't matter if you are right, or wrong, or it was an accident or whatever.

It's always about who you know, and not necissarily what you know. That is the sad truth.

Hopefully at least this story will have a bright outcome for Lam, and if I where him, I'd def want a big cash settlement and I wouldn't want to work at that place again.

The frys I go to, has a couple of cashiers that after about 10 beers, could be misconstrued as mildly attractive, but hot . . . not at any of the frys I've been to.

down at the renton Fry's (where this happened at) the place is full of Asian hotties.....and people who should not work in public....ever...for any reason.

Those poor, poor women... Working at a store like that... With cliental like... Us...

LOL this is stupid, I know frys sucks cuz I work there, none the less it is my job and I have to do it while I am in college. I don't trust anyone at frys, other then the few close buddies that work with me. Managers will fire you if you file a complaint at my store or they will ask you for a transfer unless ofcourse the accuser has proof of some kind and harrasment is really bad.

The Shitty treatment of employees starts from the TOP TO BOTTOM. My managers are nice as people but they have to be bunch of asswholes because their managers want this and that and on top of that the district manager wants something else, and then her manager wants this and that. It is pretty much bullshit.

Man, fuck Fry's. That place has nothing but cheap garbage that gets returned and shelved for the next cheap ass who couldn't wait for a shipment from Newegg to purchase and have to return.

There is a reason it's called Fry's

Seriously though, how deprived do you have to be to enjoy having a clueless dame provide customer service in an electronics store? I'd rather a neckbeard who knows wtf he is doing, so I can get home, fix my dead pc and then find a party to actually go hook up with women OR hit up Keez Movies for that tasty Cassandra Calogera ....rawr :cool:

I had a relative who sided with a manager not too long ago against the district manager for one retail chain when the district manager told the manager to quit hiring those 'certain people of a certain protected type' because (not exact words) 'they're just too hard to let go when we don't need them anymore'. The manager got fired for some BS reason, then the new manager was told to find any reason they could to get rid of my relative. When my relative ended up needing surgery for a collapsed lung they told her they couldn't give her a week off and let her go instead.

There's more nerdy guys then nerdy girls, and when a nerdy guy sees a nerdy girl, a restraining order is as eventual as Duke Nukem Forever.

Why you think hardly any women are in the tech industry? They're afraid for their lives.

I find it amazing that in this day and age there are still companies that don't take sexual harassment seriously. Everywhere I've worked they bent over backwards to make sure every employee knew the policy and encouraged reporting to supervisors or corporate HR even. If the punishment here is anything like it ought to be, I bet Fry's learns a powerful lesson here and a few things change.

not true, the one in Irving has a really beautiful girl that works the DVD/Blu-Rays section......not mention, she doesn't bug you when your looking, she ask once and let's you look...

not true, the one in Irving has a really beautiful girl that works the DVD/Blu-Rays section......not mention, she doesn't bug you when your looking, she ask once and let's you look...

that would be golden to me. god knows I can't walk in worst buy here and not get attacked. but more on topic the cute girls in worst buy often end up in the mobile center. they seem happy enough but I have to wonder.

Not In the DFW area.....seems to have mostly Hispanic or African American females working the checkout lines and most of the sales staff seems to be made up of men of Middle-Eastern decent.

And by that he means Africans who have come to America, not "black Americans". There is nothing wrong with this, just wanted to clarify that he was be factual and not politically correct.

In fact there is a very large amount of 1st generation Africans in North Texas.

Not In the DFW area. At all the Fry's stores I've been to you will only find women working as cashiers and they vary quite a bit with regards to quality of appearance. On the sales floor there is nothing but college age to middle aged men. The one exception to this rule is the Garland store which seems to have mostly Hispanic or African American females working the checkout lines and most of the sales staff seems to be made up of men of Middle-Eastern decent.

Seconded.

The one in Irving is overrun by idiots. Their mobo/cpu/ram section is filled with people who brag about not working.. while they have 4 people in that area.

I hate Frys. Then again I love Microcenter, but they hire geeks who know their shit.

Back