• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Get new Intel Q9550 batch or keep current?

SonDa5

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
7,437
My Q9550 E0 stepper is early batch.

E0Q9550specs.jpg


I have it stable at 4.3 ghz.
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=742610


Great cpu.

Q9550H50OCchallenge4point3GHZPrime95.jpg


The reason why I am am thinking about replacing it is because it requires alot of voltage for over clocking. The latestest batches are running much faster with much less voltage.
My Q9550 has always required alot of voltage to push.

I wonder if the newer batches will go as fast in my system.

Less voltage would lower my overall system temps for greater stability and possible higher over clocks.


Not sure what to do.
 
I don't think it's worth it, better keep your money for the next system upgrade.
 
I don't think you'll get nearly as lucky if you try to replace it, unless you go to the store with a batch list in hand and they let you pick one yourself.

Your load temps are fine, I don't think the lower voltage will net you much gain in the end.
 
I don't think it's worth it, better keep your money for the next system upgrade.

I could probably sell my Q9550 for a decent price. I can get a good deal on a newer Q9550.

So price wise I'm thinking it wont be more than $50 out of my pocket.
 
I don't think you'll get nearly as lucky if you try to replace it, unless you go to the store with a batch list in hand and they let you pick one yourself.


I can hand pick batch.

I'm debating $50 more for lower voltage/heat 4.5GHz stable over clock if possible.

Just not sure if it is possible. Lower voltage Q9550 spec may not mean stable at over clocked speeds.
 
I say tweak your current proc. I've found that high o/c voltage is usually needed to compensate for another setting (i.e. ram settings). You didn't list your current vcore setting but I bet you can get the volts lower & still mainstain your o/c & stability.
 
I say tweak your current proc. I've found that high o/c voltage is usually needed to compensate for another setting (i.e. ram settings). You didn't list your current vcore setting but I bet you can get the volts lower & still mainstain your o/c & stability.

I've spent quite a bit of time getting it Prime95/OCCT stable. I'm 1 click away on voltage from being unstable.

Also I've been reading up on the newer Q9550s and theyhave much lower voltages. However i'm not sure if low Q9550 means higher overall OC.

I havn't see alot of Q9550s stable at 4.3GHZ.
 
What's your vid?

My bios has a special vid adjustment that kicks in under load. When it boots up it is measured and can be read through CPU Z as Vcore. DFI BIOS has many voltage settings which effect the Vcore that is read in CPU-Z. So it is not simple. I do know that I am running
Vcore at 1.52v and FSB VTT at 1.41 according to CPU-Z and OCCT and DFI Smart Guardian system software.

Right now my RIG is down for upgrades. So I'm limited on information about it. Going off of memory and CPU-Z verifications.
 
Its kinda like having a turbo on your car, no matter how big you go, you always want more.. I guess speed is in fact like a drug haha
 
My bios has a special vid adjustment that kicks in under load. When it boots up it is measured and can be read through CPU Z as Vcore. DFI BIOS has many voltage settings which effect the Vcore that is read in CPU-Z. So it is not simple. I do know that I am running
Vcore at 1.52v and FSB VTT at 1.41 according to CPU-Z and OCCT and DFI Smart Guardian system software.

Right now my RIG is down for upgrades. So I'm limited on information about it. Going off of memory and CPU-Z verifications.

Your vid is the stock voltage setting for your cpu.
 
I would just keep it cause it looks to be pretty good but if you are only shelling out 50 bux out of pocket then why not but its a gamble. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
 
If you did sell your old cpu what price were you looking to get? you can pm me.

thnks,
m
 
If you did sell your old cpu what price were you looking to get? you can pm me.

thnks,
m

Probably around $125-$130.


I think I'm going to keep it though. It works great and I'm going to save my money for an improved cpu and a new MB.
 
Depends. If you are a gamer, you will not get better performance even if you do get a better overclocker (risky) but if you just love pushing the limits and thats your thing, then go for it. There will be no practical real world benefit, but neither is tricking out your car to do the quarter mile 1/8 of a second faster than you could before.

Back in the day I used to see how far I could push my Pentium 2.8c just for fun. After I hit about 3.4 I didnt' see any increase in framerates etc back then, but just did it for fun to see how far I could push my system.
 
Depends. If you are a gamer, you will not get better performance even if you do get a better overclocker (risky) but if you just love pushing the limits and thats your thing, then go for it. There will be no practical real world benefit, but neither is tricking out your car to do the quarter mile 1/8 of a second faster than you could before.

Back in the day I used to see how far I could push my Pentium 2.8c just for fun. After I hit about 3.4 I didnt' see any increase in framerates etc back then, but just did it for fun to see how far I could push my system.

Besides possibly pushing my OC to stable 4.5 GHZ I'd like to lower my overall CPU temps by around 10 degrees. My temps are ok for the voltage that is pushing them (1.5v) but I'd much rather be 1.36v at 4.3 ghz. That would probably put my temps right around where I'd like to be.
 
Define stable. Can you pass IBT, 20 passes with max ram usage? You should run IBT and see what speed (GFlops) you post.
 
Define stable. Can you pass IBT, 20 passes with max ram usage? You should run IBT and see what speed (GFlops) you post.

I've used IBT for some short runs. No problem. Did 8 hours of Prime 95, 2 hours of OCCT. Can play UT3 for hours without ever a problem. Run all my favorite benchmarks and any games without any stability problems at all.

No 20 pass on IBT tested but it seem very stable to me.

Stays in mid 60s once it stables out after a few hours. Highest temps are on core #1 at 71 degrees.
Stable in my book.
 
Back
Top