• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Get 5870s or wait??

Toonie

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
239
For right now, My friend is selling 2 5870s for $250 each :eek: very tempting indeed but i like to know if its even worth it to buy em for my ongoing Core i7 build :confused::confused: Fermi is just around the corner :(

What would u do??
 
For $250.00 each you would be nuts not to buy them.....

Fermi may or may not be right around the corner......and we still have no idea how it will perform or how it will be priced....
the 5870's are great cards, and only a fool would let them slide by at that price..:)
 
Well for that price I'd first ask "What's wrong, why you selling them?"

Hopefully the answer is satisfactory and then I'd buy them. That seems like a great deal.

I'm waiting on Fermi myself, but if a deal like that came by, I'd very likely jump on it. :)
 
Hell, if you want to make a quick buck, I'll buy them for $300!!

For that cheap, there might be something wrong with them :(
 
not at all, I've seen them run in his rig already and they work perfect!! He's just want to sell them due to some other financial problems :)
 
well i'm buying one of them :) might get the other one to sell if someone give me a good offer ;)
 
not at all, I've seen them run in his rig already and they work perfect!! He's just want to sell them due to some other financial problems :)

His financial problem is selling things at nearly 50% of their value...
 
don't buy them. Quite the opposite, tell me his name and phone number so I can buy them!!!
 
a friend with financial problem? poor guy. sell it for him in the forums here and give him the money.. .. he could use that extra $200 to pay more bills :)
 
a friend with financial problem? poor guy. sell it for him in the forums here and give him the money.. .. he could use that extra $200 to pay more bills :)

That ^ would make him a true friend.

If he is buying them just to make money off a friend in need of money... well that would not be a friend.
 
His family needs is his priority which i understand. He was gonna sell them to me for $300 but decided, $250 and its yours :)
 
They go for $400 or a bit more each. At the very least buy them and then sell them and make some money. if you put two 5870s in CF it should give you great gaming for some time to come. By the time they become obsolete fermi will have come and gone and we'll be into the next gen cards after that.
 
I'll make this very clear. BUY THE 5870's OR YOU ARE AN IDIOT! I am both jealous and happy that you can get such a good deal. Hell you could turn around and sell them on ebay for a 100 profit each or even more perhaps. Congrats
 
Next time I get a special insane friend's deal for hardware of the latest generation, I will go onto these forums and say "Should I buy these?" just to make everyone here jealous. :p
 
Go for the 5870. They run very cool, overclock very nice and eyefinity which is what im looking forward to. Latest news on the internet is that Fermi its going to be 20% faster then 5870 and going to cost around 550 or 600 dollars. Two 5870 will smoke Fermi.
 
Go for the 5870. They run very cool, overclock very nice and eyefinity which is what im looking forward to. Latest news on the internet is that Fermi its going to be 20% faster then 5870 and going to cost around 550 or 600 dollars. Two 5870 will smoke Fermi.

I think then I'll go for three Fermis!:D That and 3 monitors for multi-monitor gaming and an i7-980x with a decent overclock? Yes, that should he hella fast and I just can't wait. Saving my pennies now so its good to have a little time to save up for this big of an upgrade.

But yeah, even if you didn't want the 5870s you could still sell them and make a few bucks, so it makes no financial sense NOT to buy them.
 
i would wait. hard to pay the extra 100+ bones for little difference between 5850 and 5870
 
I think then I'll go for three Fermis!:D That and 3 monitors for multi-monitor gaming and an i7-980x with a decent overclock? Yes, that should he hella fast and I just can't wait. Saving my pennies now so its good to have a little time to save up for this big of an upgrade.

But yeah, even if you didn't want the 5870s you could still sell them and make a few bucks, so it makes no financial sense NOT to buy them.

Jesus christ, you got a lot of money to throw on a new rig!! :p
 
For right now, My friend is selling 2 5870s for $250 each :eek: very tempting indeed but i like to know if its even worth it to buy em for my ongoing Core i7 build :confused::confused: Fermi is just around the corner :(

What would u do??

GIMME HIS EMAIL ADDRESS GODDAMIT

lol.

I didn't read the thread. I just saw this first post and had to respond. Sounds to me like that's a steal of a deal...
 
You're missing the point.. He said "saving pennies", by the time he saves up for all of that, it will be worth pennies... :D

Saving a bit more than pennies. I have the money to buy if it were out now, but try to keep a monthly budget. So my upgrades will cost me about $5000 give or take, so by March I would be using only my monthly spending money and not eating into money I have in the bank.

As far as it being worth pennies your too late! Really, I've been into computers for 30 years, I'm a child of the begining of the PC revolution. Got to play with a TRS-80 Model 1 in 79 when, so I'm an old fart. If I were to count up all of the tens of thousands of dollars I've spent over the years, yes I know about turing to pennies.

But this is my job and my hobby and how I get most of my kicks in life, so money in the computers serves a lot of different purposes for me, though I guess Excel isn't a good excuse for 3 GPUs!:D
 
Saving a bit more than pennies. I have the money to buy if it were out now, but try to keep a monthly budget. So my upgrades will cost me about $5000 give or take, so by March I would be using only my monthly spending money and not eating into money I have in the bank.

As far as it being worth pennies your too late! Really, I've been into computers for 30 years, I'm a child of the begining of the PC revolution. Got to play with a TRS-80 Model 1 in 79 when, so I'm an old fart. If I were to count up all of the tens of thousands of dollars I've spent over the years, yes I know about turing to pennies.

But this is my job and my hobby and how I get most of my kicks in life, so money in the computers serves a lot of different purposes for me, though I guess Excel isn't a good excuse for 3 GPUs!:D

I'm only a child of the '80s so I will need to wait a few more years before I'll be spending that kinda dough on my hobby lol :p.
 
It's a nice deal.
I sure like mine.:D

The nvidia cards are still a ways away, and if they suck.....you're golden.
If they are the schizzle.......sell the 5870s and buy one.;)
But for a couple months you'll be like a pig in shit.
 
So.. $500 for two 5870s? You'd be an idiot not to buy them. Hell, one 5870 is close to that price. In fact, give me your friends phone number. Pronto.
 
Back
Top