German Politician Threatens Facebook Over Online Hate Speech

Proud to be ignorant huh? You and the people who liked this bullshit opinion of yours that has nothing to do with reality. Hate speech is well defined under German law.

Inciting violence is hate speech. Tell me, are death threats considered protected speech where you live? No? Thought so.

Inciting violence is inciting violence. Hate speech is hate speech. "Let's send dgz a mean letter because he said mean things" is inciting mean letter writing, "dgz is a mean person because his name ends in z" is hate speech, "let's send dgz a mean letter because his name ends in z" is both. In the US, hate speech is generally constitutionally protected, but inciting violence isn't; platforms other than common carriers can do what they want, of course.

Does this not seem a little ironic though;
Germany is seen as a forerunner when it comes to forcing Facebook to step up efforts to police online hate speech, which has risen here following an influx of almost one million migrants, mainly from the Middle East, last year.

Germany accepts the migrants and is then unhappy when people who possess a different culture and values don't want to behave according to German's accepted behaviors, and therefor blames Facebook for not acting swiftly enough to posted "hate speech".

This I find really cherry though;
and he said the government could propose legislative measures in the new year.

This politician is saying that Germany could pass a new law that makes it punishable by fine and whatever else if Facebook doesn't toe the line. Which actually means Facebook isn't actually doing anything wrong or illegal at the moment, but they could if a new law is passed.

And farther into this article we see a picture developing;
Last year, Justice Minister Heiko Maas set up a task force made up of representatives from Facebook, Google's YouTube and Twitter as well as nonprofit groups to discuss ways to combat the rise in online hate speech. The platform providers signed up to a voluntary code of conduct to take action to remove hate posts within 24 hours. Results of a survey published in September by a group that monitors hate speech found Facebook removed about 46 percent of illegal content reported by users within 24 hours, significantly more than YouTube and Twitter which deleted just 10 percent and about 1 percent respectively.

Maas has repeatedly warned that he will propose legislation if the social media networks do not remove at least 70 percent of hate speech by March next year. Kauder said Maas, a member of the Social Democrats, Merkel's junior coalition partner, was being too easy on social media.

Key word here is "voluntary."
Again, not what is currently illegal but what Facebook and others agreed to try and help with.

Next key word here is "reported".
Just because a user reported something as hate speech doesn't mean that it actually fits the legal definition of hate speech does it? My question would be how much of the remaining 54% of reported content was actually hate speech by Germany's legal definition?

So the upshot is Facebook is actually making an effort and is the leader in trying to do so among their peers. The numbers as reported in this article could be significantly in favor of Facebook's support if they were not so ambiguously determined. It's possible that Facebook is 90% or better in compliance with what they voluntarily agreed to support.

I just think to be fair to Facebook, these things need to be pointed out. Maybe some people here should take a closer read and maybe cool their jets.

How was it appropriate? What does BLM has to do with neo nazi activity in Germany and the EU as a whole?

I get some people are on the edge but all that bile is entirely misplaced here. No parallels.

A bakery refused to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple. The owners received death threats and harassment to the point where they were forced to sell their business and move out of state. This was celebrated as a victory by the "tolerant" politically correct liberals. By your definition, those people should have all been prosecuted for hate crimes.

Inciting violence is inciting violence. Hate speech is hate speech. "Let's send dgz a mean letter because he said mean things" is inciting mean letter writing, "dgz is a mean person because his name ends in z" is hate speech, "let's send dgz a mean letter because his name ends in z" is both. In the US, hate speech is generally constitutionally protected, but inciting violence isn't; platforms other than common carriers can do what they want, of course.

Let's go and burn the migrants = hate speech under German law. This has nothing to do with the US.

A bakery refused to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple. The owners received death threats and harassment to the point where they were forced to sell their business and move out of state. This was celebrated as a victory by the "tolerant" politically correct liberals. By your definition, those people should have all been prosecuted for hate crimes.

Totally irrelevant.

If you let comments get to you on the internet then you're a pussy. Unless its actual bullying like someone trying to ruin your life on FB or something of the sort. But if youve never met the person and they call you a fatass even though you are and you get mad, well then you need to get off the internet.

I wouldn't try to justify someone calling someone else a fatass or anything derogatory for that matter, a persons reason for being fat may not even be in their control. Defending immature or abusive people's comments doesn't really have any moral standing. People who troll are really being sensitive to sensitive people and therefor hypocrites anyways, but whatever. The need to hunt down sensitive people like they are prey is pathetic. People act like sensitive people are asking to get bullied. I'm sorry you feel that way. It's not about getting mad, it's about being human. Just because you don't see things the other way doesn't mean your always right, it just means you have your own perspective. If I have the number 6 in front of me and you're facing me, your are going to argue that the 6 is a 9. We'd both be right but not not see things the same way. It just amazes me how many people jump to attack sensitive people. They must be proud.

Let's go and burn the migrants = hate speech under German law.
That was already illegal before "hate speech" legislation. What is new is say randomly placed symbols, like spray painting a swastika on a wall. Funny thing, is that at least recently most of the time this law is actually used against migrants. Numerous times now, idle migrant teens have been found to be false flagging and get caught, but its still covered under hate crime legislation even if they obviously didn't mean it.

Proud to be ignorant huh? You and the people who liked this bullshit opinion of yours that has nothing to do with reality. Hate speech is well defined under German law.

Inciting violence is hate speech. Tell me, are death threats considered protected speech where you live? No? Thought so.

"Americans are fatasses" is a statement that makes one liable to imprisonment from three months to five years under your well defined German law. No problem there whatsoever, eh?

That was already illegal before "hate speech" legislation. What is new is say randomly placed symbols, like spray painting a swastika on a wall. Funny thing, is that at least recently most of the time this law is actually used against migrants. Numerous times now, idle migrant teens have been found to be false flagging and get caught, but its still covered under hate crime legislation even if they obviously didn't mean it.

Did you go there in November as you said you would? Is it as bad as it looks?

Let's go and burn the migrants = hate speech under German law. This has nothing to do with the US.

"These towns have had this amount of migrant related crimes in the last year" = hate speech under German law
"Kill the Jews" = may not be hate speech under German law, depending on your ethnicity

Totally irrelevant.

And it is this double standard that plagues the politically correct left and infuriated many people into electing the politically incorrect Trump.

"Americans are fatasses" is a statement that makes one liable to imprisonment from three months to five years under your well defined German law. No problem there whatsoever, eh?

Actually, I don't think dgz is German. Just remembering past discussions I thought he was Irish, but I could be mistaken.

But that's ok guys, cooling the jets is over-rated anyway :ROFLMAO:

I should talk right?

I wouldn't try to justify someone calling someone else a fatass or anything derogatory for that matter, a persons reason for being fat may not even be in their control. Defending immature or abusive people's comments doesn't really have any moral standing. People who troll are really being sensitive to sensitive people and therefor hypocrites anyways, but whatever. The need to hunt down sensitive people like they are prey is pathetic. People act like sensitive people are asking to get bullied. I'm sorry you feel that way. It's not about getting mad, it's about being human. Just because you don't see things the other way doesn't mean your always right, it just means you have your own perspective. If I have the number 6 in front of me and you're facing me, your are going to argue that the 6 is a 9. We'd both be right but not not see things the same way. It just amazes me how many people jump to attack sensitive people. They must be proud.
You have to go on the internet knowing that everyone is a keyboard warrior, they use the anonymity of the internet to mask themselves so they can say things they wouldnt say in person. Now if this is on FB and its someone you know and they are bullying you, thats one thing. But on here if someone called me a fatass with a micro penis i wouldnt care because all i see a avatar and moniker and not a real person. Its not about attacking sensitive people, its about letting people be aware that the internet is not some safe space where everyone respects everybody elses feelings. You can always be like Comixbooks on here and put everyone thats mean to you on ignore.

You have to go on the internet knowing that everyone is a keyboard warrior, they use the anonymity of the internet to mask themselves so they can say things they wouldnt say in person. Now if this is on FB and its someone you know and they are bullying you, thats one thing. But on here if someone called me a fatass with a micro penis i wouldnt care because all i see a avatar and moniker and not a real person. Its not about attacking sensitive people, its about letting people be aware that the internet is not some safe space where everyone respects everybody elses feelings. You can always be like Comixbooks on here and put everyone thats mean to you on ignore.

Not that I am completely disagreeing with you because I really didn't read all you had to say, but I wonder;

if
everyone is a keyboard warrior, they use the anonymity of the internet to mask themselves so they can say things they wouldnt say in person

Then ...................... what do the kinds of people who would say things like this in person say, when they are on the internet? :sneaky:

Not that I am completely disagreeing with you because I really didn't read all you had to say, but I wonder;

if

Then ...................... what do the kinds of people who would say things like this in person say, when they are on the internet? :sneaky:

From personal experience...

They don't even join these online discussions. They talk to anyone and everyone that would listen, but they don't "waste" time on the internet arguing about things.

No no no, I understand and all, but really, I get that some people can be encouraged to behave like assholes by the power of anonymity, but I can't imagine at all that people who are brazen or brash, or just don't have that filter, that they don't act the same exact way on the internet or that there is some magical magnetism at work that attracts cowards and repels those who are just straight up assholes.

I think assholes are mostly assholes wherever you find them, and that the anonymous nature of the internet allows those who are less confrontational to spread their wings through their fingertips.

Which is why the internet is such a place of love and brotherhood.

if

From personal experience...

They don't even join these online discussions. They talk to anyone and everyone that would listen, but they don't "waste" time on the internet arguing about things.
Ive seen both, its kind of a mixed bag.

No matter how you feel about migrants, the point is climate is changing and millions are about to flood Europe and North America. I just think absorbing them peacefully would be better. Don't wanna see the alternative.

No matter how you feel about migrants, the point is climate is changing and millions are about to flood Europe and North America. I just think absorbing them peacefully would be better. Don't wanna see the alternative.
The alternative of, what, doing the same thing that wealthy middle-eastern countries, Russia, China, Japan, etc. are doing, and controlling their borders? Even the Saudis said hell no to the refugees, citing safety concerns for their people, and they already practice Sharia Law. A few months back at dinner talking about the constant string of terrorist attacks in France, my friends based Japanese wife just asked a common sense question... if France keeps welcoming Islamic migrants with open arms, and even after years in France they still don't "turn French" and are attacking the French, why do they keep letting them in?

There's no answer to this, and its mind boggling to me as well why people act like not letting random people from all over the world move in to your country unvetted, getting free shelter, free food, free medical care, and free money is an option.

Muhammad is now the most popular baby boy name in England 5 years in a row now, ethnic British are a minority in their own capital, their mayor is Muslim, and the British government was busted suppressing information about the Islamic rape gangs for fear of reprisal (not you know, fear of your women being raped perhaps being the victims to worry about first). East-Asians are looking at the once great empires and wondering why the heck they are committing cultural, economic, and ethnic suicide and why they loath themselves so much that they would just continue to quite literally ask for the abuse like they were born with sin and deserve it. Its like watching a low self-esteem girl just self-destruct. Sad.

And for the record, while its true I'm not religious, I can recognize that not all religions teach the same things. I know how open, peaceful, and welcoming Buddhists typically are, and yet see how Thailand, which has no involvement in the middle-east is suffering constant Islamic attacks as well, especially on their Southern border, simply because they will not submit and live their lives to Islamic standards. And I've seen what happened to once progressive and modern Iran in the 1970s when it succumbed to Islamic theocratic rule, and quite frankly verses like this from the Quran scare me:
"And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief or unrest] is worse than killing... but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah [disbelief and worshiping of others along with Allah] and worship is for Allah alone. Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority. And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away! I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"
And its nothing against Arabs, as there are crazy red-headed freckled white Islamist Irish that scare the hell out of me too, because that's a belief system and way of life, not a race, as this smart woman explains. So to put it plainly, I think there is a big difference between say a Dutch dentist with similar cultural values wanting to open up a practice in the UK and perhaps apply for citizenship, and a Somali pirate doing the same, and its why I support things like the Swiss "cultural test", where you have to show you behave and think sufficiently "Swiss", requiring people wanting to live in Switzerland to actively acclimate to Swiss culture rather than the other way around.

Last edited:

There are billions of systematically opressed people living in China, India, and Africa. You cannot help everyone, and mixed in with the people that are seeking help are people that seek to harm. In the modern day of IEDs and high population densities, it only takes one to cause significant damage. The world is not a place where everyone holds hands singing Kumbayah, and sometimes you just have to say no, even if doing so leads to their death. I'm sorry, but a stranger's life means a lot less to me than a friend or family. And no, the numbers do not matter either.

Back