German Court Rules Facebook May Block Pseudonyms

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you want to use Facebook, you have to play by Facebook's rules. If you don't like Facebook's rules, you do not have to have a Facebook page. It really is as simple as that, no matter what country you live in.

The ruling is a coup for the social network firm which has long argued its real-name policy ensures people know who they are sharing and connecting with and protects them from the abuse of the wide-open Internet. A woman had complained to the Hamburg watchdog after Facebook blocked her account for using a pseudonym, requested a copy of some identification and unilaterally changed her username to her real name.

This is small time.

In South Korea, the government requires all user accounts that are created for any business related reasons, that includes accounts where people sign up to play on line games and download apps, socialize, etc, to force users to use their equivalent of a Social Security Number when creating their account. No anonymous activity if there is money at all involved. In South Korea, even the [H] would have us register our user accounts with our SSNs.

I use a pseudonym on Facebook, if they want to kick me off, they can. I won't miss much. The Internet and Facebook are both too insecure to go around with real names, IMO. I choose to not use whatever requires and practically enforces the requirement for me to use a real name.

This is small time.

In South Korea, the government requires all user accounts that are created for any business related reasons, that includes accounts where people sign up to play on line games and download apps, socialize, etc, to force users to use their equivalent of a Social Security Number when creating their account. No anonymous activity if there is money at all involved. In South Korea, even the [H] would have us register our user accounts with our SSNs.

I thought it was real names, not IDs. Maybe both. All Starcraft pros have nicknames but use their real names in official matches. If my memory serves me well, a young woman was harassed to the point when she committed suicide or something like that, which triggered the whole thing.

This is small time.

Damn, that's pretty serious sh**.

I thought it was real names, not IDs. Maybe both. All Starcraft pros have nicknames but use their real names in official matches. If my memory serves me well, a young woman was harassed to the point when she committed suicide or something like that, which triggered the whole thing.

My wife is Korean, she uses her brother's SSN to register on Korean websites that require it.

Back