German Cops Get Facebook Users to ID Suspects

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hey, that guy looks like that police sketch...*click*..."This suspect only shares some information publicly. If you know this suspect, try adding him as a friend"...so you can turn his ass in! :D

The police department has nabbed eight criminals since March 2011 when it started crowdsourcing suspects’ photos via Facebook for its pilot manhunt called “Fahndung via Facebook.” The success has prompted the rest of Germany’s law enforcement to consider using Facebook in the same way.

Last edited:
To quote Herman Caine:
"Nein! Nein! Nein!"
With Germany having one of the strictest privacy laws in the world I am surprised that they allowed this to happen.

To quote Herman Caine:
"Nein! Nein! Nein!"
With Germany having one of the strictest privacy laws in the world I am surprised that they allowed this to happen.

LOL

It's unsurprising in this day and age. When I was working at a motel, some lady ripped the business off (didn't pay or something). The management was able to find her MySpace via a Google search and report her to the police. She had a really trashy page too.

To quote Herman Caine:
"Nein! Nein! Nein!"
Yay for Canada,not, we were one of the first to do that with the Stanly cup rioters. Put their mugs up on FB then ask the public to rat out on them and try the new digital facial profiling. Nothing wrong with catching criminals, but I draw the line where you involve the public to point their fingers. I'm fine with catching killers and serious offenders. Trouble is we as people seem to swing to an extreme and don't know where to not cross the line.To many ex police states that collapsed after the Berlin wall came down started to become police states by doing the same thing. Neighbors ratting out on neighbors. So what are we doing, repeating history every 70 years.

To many ex police states that collapsed after the Berlin wall came down started to become police states by doing the same thing. Neighbors ratting out on neighbors. So what are we doing, repeating history every 70 years.

I think those are two vastly different things. Here a crime was committed and crowdsourcing helped identify the suspects. How does victims getting justice lead to a police state?

I think those are two vastly different things. Here a crime was committed and crowdsourcing helped identify the suspects. How does victims getting justice lead to a police state?

The problem with crowdsourcing is the mob mentality and public opinion. This will lead to a lot of false positives.

"Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
To many ex police states that collapsed after the Berlin wall came down started to become police states by doing the same thing. Neighbors ratting out on neighbors. So what are we doing, repeating history every 70 years."

Yay for Canada,not, we were one of the first to do that with the Stanly cup rioters. Put their mugs up on FB then ask the public to rat out on them and try the new digital facial profiling. Nothing wrong with catching criminals, but I draw the line where you involve the public to point their fingers. I'm fine with catching killers and serious offenders. Trouble is we as people seem to swing to an extreme and don't know where to not cross the line.To many ex police states that collapsed after the Berlin wall came down started to become police states by doing the same thing. Neighbors ratting out on neighbors. So what are we doing, repeating history every 70 years.

I fully support the police catching the moronic Stanley cup rioters, by putting their pictures up. These people destroyed businesses and beat people trying to protect their property. I enjoy the fact that these rioters must be having many sleepless nights unsure of whether they will get caught or not. If I had my way these rioters would be sterilized to prevent contamination of the gene pool.

You can call these people a "rat" I call them concerned, ethical, responsible people.

I fully support the police catching the moronic Stanley cup rioters, by putting their pictures up. These people destroyed businesses and beat people trying to protect their property. I enjoy the fact that these rioters must be having many sleepless nights unsure of whether they will get caught or not. If I had my way these rioters would be sterilized to prevent contamination of the gene pool.

You can call these people a "rat" I call them concerned, ethical, responsible people.
Untill they start watching you and think its the proper thing to do in reporting your actions. I know, "If you have nothing to hide it doesn't matter."

Untill they start watching you and think its the proper thing to do in reporting your actions. I know, "If you have nothing to hide it doesn't matter."

False comparison. These people were caught on video destroying property and physically assaulting innocent people. The police put their images up to find out who they were.

False comparison. These people were caught on video destroying property and physically assaulting innocent people. The police put their images up to find out who they were.

...and what if you were unfortunate enough to look like one of them?

So let the police do their job. If they make a mistake their held responsible, whose going to hold your neighbors responsible if they make an id mistake, wouldn't be the first time. But it can sure wreck a persons life.

Back