• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

gentoo installation, hard drive partitioning

kethwika

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 22, 2003
Messages
264
I have just made an X2 3800 machine with a 6600 gt vid card and I want to make a clean installation. I have a server set up to run on gentoo and am familiar with the installation and upkeep but I am confused on what to do with hard drive partitioning and some regular software that I find as a must have. When I install windows I like to make a 20 gb windows partition and 180 gb files partition. I will add another 160 gigs so I want a 30 gb linux operating system partition and a 340 gb files partition and I dont know how to do this when I am installing gentoo. another question I have is I want to be able to access this computer remotely from a windows machine because I commute to school I want to be able to sign into my computer from the internet at school so I can check my email etc. let me know if this is possible and some fairly detailed commands I need to run to set up my hard drives. I presume the hard drive partitioning will need to be in conjunction with setting up the root, boot, etc. partitions. the more detailed the better guys because unlike most of you I still install gentoo with the manual side by side as to not forget anything. thanks everyone.
 
There are a couple of tricks that you can use:

Install Windows first and download bootit, a free partition adjusting utility (or partition magic, but I don't have the money for that). Run bootit to rescale the NTFS partition to 20gb and leave the rest as unpartioned space. Load up gentoo and maually partition the empty space with fdisk (following the gentoo handbook).

That's my favorite one and it works for the most part.
 
I dont need windows to boot up I just want a 20 gb root i guess and the rest for files, like movies, docs, mp3s stuff like that. i do not want any installation of windows on my machine
 
Ahh ok, I'm sorry that I miss read your post.

Ok then, all you do is format the entire drive and use fdisk to partition the space into your 30gb system partition and then the rest of it in to a home directory space, either labeled as home (I'm not sure how to do this explicitly with fdisk) or as a separate mounted folder location.
 
From what I understand you do not want a dual boot...so the gentoo guide should do a pretty good job. I personally take it to the extreme with my partitioning....

you might want to try something like this; all of these are separate parititons:
/boot = 200MB or less, whatever the gentoo guide suggests.

/ = 20-25GB (root) this will pickup whatever parts of the file system you do not mount on separate parititions

/var = 5GB (if you want to compile open office and kde (I suggest just getting open office binaries, its excessively long compile times for open office and it has little updates that force entire recompiles too often in my opinion)

for your files parittion, you can do what someone else suggested and put all the space in home, where user directories are stored or you can create a separate partition off of root to for them. It is really a matter of preference. If you don't want to share this space with other users on the system you might want to go with a custom parition. So you can do one of the following

/home = 180GB (or whatever large amount of space want for it) as a separate partition shared with all users on the system.
or
/(name of your choice) = all that space you want for files. (if you do this you will have to play with permissions a bit on the directory to be able to write and read as a non-root user)

The install guide will guide you through the specifics of making sure the partitions get mounted to the appropirate directories (the parts on configuring your fstab file).

as for remote logins, the easiest thing to do is:

rc-update add sshd default

(check the ordering of args, been a while since i last did it)
This will have the ssh daemon boot when you start the comp, then you can remotely connect using an ssh program and copy files using scp. There are plenty of windows programs that do this. (putty, WinSCP). These are kinda commandline/ftp type interfaces though. If you want to get to your graphical desktop, you will need VNC which I have not bothered to setup on my linux machines so I cannot help you there, but there might be guides on the gentoo-wiki(google for the address).

hope that helps/makes sense
 
Geshtar said:
/var = 5GB (if you want to compile open office and kde (I suggest just getting open office binaries, its excessively long compile times for open office and it has little updates that force entire recompiles too often in my opinion)
If you play games, you'll want a much bigger /var partition. Installing Neverwinter Nights with both expansion packs takes about 4GB in /var by itself. Installing UT2004 takes about 7GB. You regain this space once the emerge has completed, you it can take quite a lot of space when performing the actual installation.
 
Wolf31o2 said:
If you play games, you'll want a much bigger /var partition. Installing Neverwinter Nights with both expansion packs takes about 4GB in /var by itself. Installing UT2004 takes about 7GB. You regain this space once the emerge has completed, you it can take quite a lot of space when performing the actual installation.


Yikes, I keep dual boot to windows for games, so I had no idea that you could need that much for games. Interesting to know should I ever start to play games on linux.
 
Back
Top