Gentoo + 2.6.7 kernel + input devices

BillLeeLee

[H]F Junkie
Hey all,

I tried the gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.7 kernel tonight, and it was basically a complete failure.

For one, my keyboard only randomly works. When I get the login prompt, it takes about a minute for the keyboard to work and I can type something in. Other times, the keyboard just doesn't work altogether.

Now, when the keyboard does work, I'll type "startx" and try to enter X. Well, it then says "Mouse1" doesn't exist, and says /dev/input/mouse0 doesn't exist. I changed it to /dev/psaux and it enters X just fine, but the mouse doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

If you need more info, let me know.

Oh right, I use the udev device file system instead of devfs.

lappy, or on a desktop?

wireless mouse?

type/brand?

have you tried another kernel?

BillLeeLee said:
Hey all,

I tried the gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.7 kernel tonight, and it was basically a complete failure.

For one, my keyboard only randomly works. When I get the login prompt, it takes about a minute for the keyboard to work and I can type something in. Other times, the keyboard just doesn't work altogether.

Now, when the keyboard does work, I'll type "startx" and try to enter X. Well, it then says "Mouse1" doesn't exist, and says /dev/input/mouse0 doesn't exist. I changed it to /dev/psaux and it enters X just fine, but the mouse doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

If you need more info, let me know.

Oh right, I use the udev device file system instead of devfs.

I am assuming both your KB and mouse are USB.

You need to make sure the USB KB and mouse features are turned on in the kernel, otherwise, no dice. Changing your mouse device to /dev/psaux is not going to get you anything unless you have a PS/2 mouse, which I doubt, since it seems to think you have a USB mouse.

You may want to change it to /dev/input/mouse0, though. that may actually work. mouse1 is ... odd. *shrug*

I am using teh Logitech MX cordless duo, and have both hooked up to the PS/2 ports. This setup works fine when I'm in the 2.6.5 kernel, which is what I was using before I tried the 2.6.7 upgrade.

It says /dev/input/mouse0 doesn't exist, though that works when I'm using 2.6.5 kernel.

And it's on my desktop.

Are you using udev or devfs? If you are using udev, after you boot up type "dmesg | grep hotplug" and "dmesg | grep udev" and see if there are any errors.

bump

dmesg | grep hotplug and dmesg | grep udev generated nothing. I even reemerged udev and nothing's working.

/dev/input/Mouse* is classically a USB device, is it not?

mwarps said:
/dev/input/Mouse* is classically a USB device, is it not?

I think you're right.

I probably shouldn't be using it in my XF86Config-4, but it works in 2.6.5 and 2.6.6, oddly.

But with /dev/input/mice and /dev/psaux, I did manage to boot into X, but like I said, the mouse did nothing.

On the Gentoo Forums, someone said that CONFIG_4KSTACKS and CONFIG_REGPARM should be disabled, but that was no help either.

I'm at my wit's end, this whole keyboard delay and nonfunctioning mouse in 2.6.7 is driving me nuts.

Sorry I haven't respone Billy. I did the dmesg also and nothing showed up on mine. I have tried various logs to find udev/hotplug in any of them. Have you tried going back to a previous kernel version? If so, does everything work in that kernel?

This makes no sense at all. If they're plugged into the bloody PS/2 ports then it should work. Period. I was thinking about upping to 2.6.x, but if they've borked the kernel so badly that PS/2 doesn't work any more then I'm sticking with 2.4.xx. That is ridiculous.

I will see what sorta of hell it takes to get it working on Monday with the newest 2.6 release. Hopefully that'll help.

It should work fine. I have been running the 2.6 kernel for 6+ months now. All different versions. I have a PS/2 keyboard and a usb mouse with no problems. I was just curious if it was the new 2.6.7 kernel. I was wondering if he could try the 2.6.6 flavor.

There have been some posts on the Gentoo forums about key press speed being fast where when you press the key once it registers is multiple times. I didn't know if this might be part of the same problems that exist in the 2.6.7 kernel.

I just bulldozed my box last night (borked it trying to upgrade the video card.. don't ask). When I re-installed everything, I did the 2.6.7-gentoo-r5 kernel, and I'm using the Logitech Cordless Comfort Duo with no problems so far. I am using devfs though, so I don't know if that's enough of a difference or not. I'm using the setup via the PS/2 ports as well.

IMHO, something's borked somewhere, but hard to say if it's the kernel though... Hope ya get it resolved soon!

Yes, I'm using 2.6.6 and 2.6.5 kernels perfectly fine, but 2.6.7 just won't play nice.

I'll pinpoint this somehow, but for now, 2.6.6 is just fine.

Here is a thread over at Gentoo talking about the keyboard problem I talked about above. I know it isn't your problem, but there are 2 patches for the kernel in the thread. You might want to give it a shot as I don't have a clue about your problem. I haven't read through the whole thread, so I don't know if it only pertains to the mm-sources.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=188643

mm2 for 2.6.7 came out yesterday if you want to try to see if that one will work. I am going to make my first dive into 2.6.7 tonight. I am running on the RC3-love2 version of 2.6.7. I am going to go with the mm2 while the love-sources are still getting finalized. I will report of any issues.

Well, I slacked off for about 3 weeks on this business.

It seems that the earlier releases of 2.6.7 are a little wonky with some options enabled that shouldn't be by default.

I emerged mm-sources and gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.7-r10 tonight and my mouse and keyboard work beautifully again. Coincidentally, two of the kernel config options that supposedly caused the problem weren't presented for me to change during "make oldconfig," so I guess some patches were made between then and now.

All I can say is: it's great that I'm not open to that code vulnerability anymore. :D

I may have missed it, but which release of 2.6.7 were you running? I know it was gentoo-dev-sources, as that's the same run I'm running. I think I'm running r5 at the moment though.

Just curious.

I used the earlier releases of 2.6.7 gentoo-devs: gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.7 and 2.6.7-r1.

Tonight I made a jump to 2.6.7-r10.

Back