Gentle Typhoons discontinued

DarkStryke

[H]ard|Gawd
Looks like Mark @ Frozen is sending out mails to a few people in which Scythe states the partnership with Nidec is over, no outstanding supplier orders will be able to be filled.

Not sure if the replacement will be better~

Nooooooooooooo!

I was going to buy another 4 of them for my top radiator, should I buy 4 now then and just sell my Panaflos?

Well that sucks. Does Nidec own some or all of the design; or is it controlled completely by Scythe?

This makes me sad in so many ways :( I love the ones I have and I will cherish them now!

wait...WHAT?

jesusfuckingchrist, Sorel boots, GT fans...I am literally living in an Ayn Rand novel here...and I don't even like Ayn Rand...WTAF?

Cougars are pretty good, the Noctuas can be good (at a higher price), there are a few more good ones as well

Hasnt this rumor popped up every so often?

I remember there was a scare (last year?) that Scythe was going out of business but it turned out it was just their former US distributor.

If I recall Scythe in Japan gave them the axe, so the distributor released a terribly misleading press release as final hurrah, sparking a minor panic in some deep recesses of the internet. In the end Scythe took possession of the distributors website: scytheus.com, and issued a statement clearing up the confusion.

And that's the story of my 3 spare slipstreams...

Hasnt this rumor popped up every so often?

If you're saying that one of the larger water-cooling vendors in the states is 'making up rumours', as much as I don't like some of Mark's business decisions, he's not going to make something like this up.

FrozenCPU,
Regretfully, both Nidec and Scythe have decided not to continue their business relationship.

We will not be able to fulfill your Gentle Typhoon order.
We will be promoting the new Grand Flex fans. These are supposedly better than the Gentle Typhoons.
We need to get the message out to the public. I should have some samples by early next month.
By the way, Scythe reserves the right to the name Gentle Typhoon.
That means Nidec can’t sell the product to anybody with our label, our package, our brand and etc. attached to it.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Hank Peng
SCYTHE, Inc.

Blargh. Right before the holidays too. Now I have to find a good replacement for my new water cooling system... :/

Scythe has the rights to the name and branding, Nidec has the rights to the design and hardware. if another company wants to distribute Nidecs fans they can as long as they use a different name and brand

Last time they were got discontinued a bunch of people ordered a crap load. Then they came back. :D

Glad I still have six of the buggers... pitty they make so much damn noise in my case for some reason... they aren't so loud when not mounted... might get a new case

Damn, this cant be true..... why would they discontinued the most raved fan among enthusiasts.... they can even increase the price people will still buy them, they already have a huge rep among the comunity.

Hope nidec releases them under their branding, maybe not the same name but to what i remember was their design not scythes.

called it, Nidec owns all rights to the GT, will continue making them and is cutting out Sycthe

Obviously they will continue making the fans, just not under the Gentle Typhoon name as that name/packaging belongs to Scythe.

Obviously they will continue making the fans, just not under the Gentle Typhoon name as that name/packaging belongs to Scythe.

Guess who owns the copyright to Gentle Typhoon?

Hint: it's not Scythe

Stock up on em while you can?

I never understood why companies discontinue really popular products.

I did I brought like 10 from my local ncix... price was better... maybe they couldnt get a deal done... =(

20140108-DSC_0146-Edit-210x300.jpg

today when i was putting my rig together, two of the gt 1850 made scratching noise and i couldnt figure out where it was hitting ....

never had problems with a fan before o_O

How about Yate Loons... I used a bunch when I water cooled...and now putting them into a case for some serious fan speed... or am I nuts...lol haven't air cooled in so many years lol

Man those fans are like $19 each! RPM's are a lot higher and I see the blades are pretty slick...probably does a great job but sheesh...Yate Loons are like $6 each.... and at 120mm you could get enough to direct the air with 2 monster cards in there - if they work why get the better fans lol

Last edited:
How about Yate Loons... I used a bunch when I water cooled...and now putting them into a case for some serious fan speed... or am I nuts...lol haven't air cooled in so many years lol

Man those fans are like $19 each! RPM's are a lot higher and I see the blades are pretty slick...probably does a great job but sheesh...Yate Loons are like $6 each.... and at 120mm you could get enough to direct the air with 2 monster cards in there - if they work why get the better fans lol

Yates don't last or require maintenance since they are sleeve bearing, they also make a more annoying noise from my experience. I have good fans that have been running maintenance free for over 7-8 years. I tried yates and they only lasted about a year. They also do not make nearly as much static pressure which may be important if your not running a slim radiator.

I haven't been able to convince myself to stock up on GTs though... I figure by the time I get around to using them there will likely be something better.

Back