• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Generic "OEM" PSUs at TigerDirect

urbsnspices

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 25, 2005
Messages
1,120
Tell me about the "OEM" non-branded/generic PSUs that Tigerdirect sells.

I really did try searching, but when you search for OEM/Generic terms, you dont get much that is useful. The best I could find is that the part number is shared with an ULTRA PSU.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1554173&RSort=4&csid=ITD&body=#CustomerReviewsBlock

This is the PSU in question. Personally I wouldnt touch it, but I could use some fodder to convince my BIL not to include it in his new system. He is re-using it and based on the reviews, it sure seems like people love the thing.
 
I can't find anything either. But it is painfully obvious it is an Ultra seeing as how it says it on the fan grill.
 
It's crap.

It's an Ultra Lifetimeseries Pro 600W, often listed as Ultra LSP 600W. It's crap. It's a repackaged Ultra LS 600W with a nicer finish but the same internally. It's crap. Why is it only $30 instead of it's original $70 price? It's crap. It's a Yuelin build, probably with a UL number that traces back to Andyson (lie #1) and it's really a 500W PSU (lie #2). It's crap. My source for all this info:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5606&highlight=ultra+lsp

Oh, and by the way: it's crap.
 
I agree. It's cwap-tacuwar. (Elmer Fudd-speak for "crap-tacular")
 
This is the PSU in question. Personally I wouldnt touch it, but I could use some fodder to convince my BIL not to include it in his new system. He is re-using it and based on the reviews, it sure seems like people love the thing.
Well of the 27 reviews one is bad and most of the rest are just "it works woot"

Most PSU calculators have a substantial "shitty PSU correction factor" built in. The kind of people who buy shitty PSUs also tend to use said calculators. So their systems generally work ok at least for a while and they give positive reviews.
 
You have to remember that with budget items most of the praise is going to be due to how much of a value people think the product was. The people who actually know how to calculate how much power they need and how to verify output aren't going to bother with something that cheap, while the ones who don't know all of that thinks that the smart people are suckers.
 
Sounds like it is kwap.

More info, good for a chuckle:
THE WHOLE reason he is building a new system is because when his old PSU blew up, it took out his MoBo and possibly a video card. I guess this was confirmed by replacing his old crappy psu with a new crappy one. SO NOW, he wishes to build his entire system around a brand new weak link.

I know it is the same ole story, but I have to laugh. I feel a little bad bumping the cost of his budget system, but when you cant be trusted to do it right, some one else has to do it for you.
 
Back
Top