I know...long thread...I'm sorry but there's no short way to say it. 
I've never been much of a gamer besides HL/CS and wc3/starcraft but I've had my share of video cards in the past and for some reason I tend to always have bad luck. For one I can never get my games running smooth except the ones that I mentioned above. Right now I'm trying to get into doom 3 but the fact that I can't get it running smooth doesn't surprise me. Call me a noob or whatever...I know how to install a video card and it's drivers but for the life of me I have a hard time configuring my settings to optimally play the game. What I want to know is there anyone out there that gets doom 3 or any other new game totally smooth? To me there's a difference getting bad fps and getting high fps and no smoothness. When I say smooth I'm talking at least 60 fps and look as smooth as HL/CS does.
Am I missing something? Am I only dreaming? Do you guys install MS mouse drivers? Are there any tips to getting smooth gameplay? I know doom 3 thrashes almost any system but I'm shocked that people with older video cards play it because I'm pretty discouraged with my $600 card.
I just recieved my 6800ultra in hopes to solve all my problems but from what I can see it hasn't fixed my problems. I get the same fps that everyone else gets with a 6800ultra but I'm not satisfied because it doesn't feel like 60 frames per second...it's pretty choppy. I just reformatted and everything is fresh. DX9.0c, intel chipset drivers, minimal xp services, minimal background programs, defragmentation, classic gui has all been done and I'm kind of annoyed. I've messed with the AF/AA, vsync, fast writes, and all the other settings in the settings panel with no luck.
There must be something wrong here and if there's not then I can't believe people would be happy with a $600 card that does this shit....
*Calm now*
Thanks for reading the long post. I did make another post recently but this thread has to do with tips to get smooth gameplay with any card because I have never had luck with most of my cards trying to play newer games and I would like to know what I am doing wrong.
I've never been much of a gamer besides HL/CS and wc3/starcraft but I've had my share of video cards in the past and for some reason I tend to always have bad luck. For one I can never get my games running smooth except the ones that I mentioned above. Right now I'm trying to get into doom 3 but the fact that I can't get it running smooth doesn't surprise me. Call me a noob or whatever...I know how to install a video card and it's drivers but for the life of me I have a hard time configuring my settings to optimally play the game. What I want to know is there anyone out there that gets doom 3 or any other new game totally smooth? To me there's a difference getting bad fps and getting high fps and no smoothness. When I say smooth I'm talking at least 60 fps and look as smooth as HL/CS does.
I just recieved my 6800ultra in hopes to solve all my problems but from what I can see it hasn't fixed my problems. I get the same fps that everyone else gets with a 6800ultra but I'm not satisfied because it doesn't feel like 60 frames per second...it's pretty choppy. I just reformatted and everything is fresh. DX9.0c, intel chipset drivers, minimal xp services, minimal background programs, defragmentation, classic gui has all been done and I'm kind of annoyed. I've messed with the AF/AA, vsync, fast writes, and all the other settings in the settings panel with no luck.
There must be something wrong here and if there's not then I can't believe people would be happy with a $600 card that does this shit....
*Calm now*
Thanks for reading the long post. I did make another post recently but this thread has to do with tips to get smooth gameplay with any card because I have never had luck with most of my cards trying to play newer games and I would like to know what I am doing wrong.