Generalizations about certain brands...

FooTemps

Limp Gawd
I know that many audiophiles agree that headphones have different sounds to them according to the brand.

What I've been trying to figure out for the past week was what those generalizations about brands are!

They say Grados are good for more bass presense. What about AKG, audio-technica, and sennheiser? I know some are more airy and good for classical but which ones?

Would would suit me most? I listen to a mix of hip hop, old school rock stuff, some jazz, and occasionally classical, but I mostly listen to hip hop.

I am with you and this is going to irk you, but ... We can't tell you which you would prefer.

See, though I listen to a lot of hip hop, I couldn't decide which of 3 cans I preferred for that type of music.

Audio Technica ATH-A900
Sennheiser HD580 (yes the 580 not the 600 or 650 and I have the 650s also)
Beyer Dynamic DT770

each has a different sound signature, so its up to YOU to decide what type of can you prefer. Let me explain.

I'll use some newer, more common songs styles:

Atlanta Snap music (D4L, Lil John...) This kind of music usually has a very deep (30-35Hz) sub bass and a high bass portion in the 60-80 Hz range. This kind of music was actually better on the DT770 or the ATH-A900s. The stage wasn't as wide as the Senns, but the boom was better.

Houston/Midwest Rap:
Definately best on the ATH-A900s as it separated the mixed tracks so you could actually hear everything. Since this type of music doesn't have as much of a middle as it has highs and lows, the Audio Technicas won.

New York/Chicago/East Coast Hip Hop (Tribe Called Quest, The new Busta Rhymes, De La Soul, Mos Def)
I prefer the Sennheiser HD580s on a good amp. This was definately their domain as the tracks have more real horns, and kick drum. Also the wider sound stage and more specific points to the counter portions of the tracks brings them alive in my book. The senn sound also tends to be more friendly toward classical and Jazz music.

Everything written here is IMO.

So again, what kind of music do you prefer?

awww jeez... my life is gonna get so much poorer now...

Right now I was looking at some K501s, HD595 or HD 580s, and ATH-AD700s.

I listen to East Coast and ATL stuff mostly right now, but I usually stick to East Coast in the long run compared to all other rap/hip hop I listen to. My jazz is all over the place due to me just taking reccomendations from friends.

Also, since you have some AT headphones. How well does the wing system hold up? I'm still suspicious of them lasting in the long run.

edit: Forgot to mention that I'm looking at open cans. And... how freaking long does it take to get the authorization email from head-fi!?!?

depends on how much my 2nd paycheck is. It will probably be between 100 - 300

Haha, I always love these threads.

Anyways, I'll link to another post that is similar. It's not really the brand name house sound (I'm sure there is a post on this somewhere), but its more of specific headphones
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3124 (I found it interesting).

FooTemps, do you have a local high end audio store near you that has headphones on display to demo? If so, that's a great way to learn about all the "house sounds" (or lack of).

I've listened to some A500's and that's all at my guitarville.

The one word reviews actually help too.

edit: also... any good online retailers? I'd probably go to headroom or audiocubes right now but I want to find a good selection for good prices.

FooTemps said:
I know that many audiophiles agree that headphones have different sounds to them according to the brand.

What I've been trying to figure out for the past week was what those generalizations about brands are!

They say Grados are good for more bass presense. What about AKG, audio-technica, and sennheiser? I know some are more airy and good for classical but which ones?

Would would suit me most? I listen to a mix of hip hop, old school rock stuff, some jazz, and occasionally classical, but I mostly listen to hip hop.

Grados for bass presence? I'd say that's more of a Sennheiser trait. Grados are known for brightness throughout their entire lineup.

Cyrilix said:
Grados for bass presence? I'd say that's more of a Sennheiser trait. Grados are known for brightness throughout their entire lineup.

Well I guess? I dunno, I'm a noob.

edit: My choice that I'm looking at...
beyer dt880
grado sr325i
akg k701
audio technica ath-ad900
senn hd580

I basically picked one from each highly praised brand that I have interest in.

If you do go with DT880s, have a decent amp and source, and listen to electronic music, then your experience should be just as good as mine. :)

I don't know about the A900, but the A900 LTD, in my opinion, does rock very well, more naturally than the DT880s. Different cans for different music tastes.

FooTemps said:
Well I guess? I dunno, I'm a noob.

edit: My choice that I'm looking at...
beyer dt880
grado sr325i
akg k701
audio technica ath-ad900
senn hd580

I basically picked one from each highly praised brand that I have interest in.

Note that I don't listen to Hiphop, but do listen to electroclash which is just as demanding (if not even more so) in the bass.

I'd leave the DT880 as I don't find it to have enough low end for me.
The AD900 I've never heard, but I suppose it's a A900 that feels more open and less congested. I found the A900 to be too muddy, everything thrown together with not enough seperation.
The Sennheisers make music boring to me. Take the best live set you've ever heard, then imagine putting the curtains down between you and the band. It takes the liveliness away.
This from having owned a HD-595 and having borrowed a HD-650 for awhile, so the HD-580 might be different in that regard but I don't expect so.
That leaves the K701 and the SR-325i. Never heard the K701, but I'd pick the SR-325i anyways. I loved mine, and I love my RS-1 even more. Grado's are just my sound. That might be different for you though...
Be aware that the SR-325i is one of the brighter Grado's and you could be better off starting with a SR-225.

Hope that helps, but I'd highly suggest listening before buying.

Actually, hearing that Grados are bright really excite me since I have a general problem with thinking cans sound dull and muddy. I personally think I'd like the sound of grados, but I'm going to try them out first.

Cyrilix said:

My HD595s are very neutral when it comes the bass, as were my HD555s, and 280pros. I don't consider sennheisers to be loaded with bass at all. Can't say anything for grados as I have never tried them.

kaluminati said:
My HD595s are very neutral when it comes the bass, as were my HD555s, and 280pros. I don't consider sennheisers to be loaded with bass at all. Can't say anything for grados as I have never tried them.

Try some 580/600/650s with a half-decent amp and you might change your opinion aobut the bass. ;)

Anyone know a place that sells grados?

ttvj is the only place I know of right now.

No one can compare to TTVJ's call in price?

Anyone know of any potential B&M stores that carry Grados? I live in the Seattle area if that helps.

FooTemps said:
No one can compare to TTVJ's call in price?

Anyone know of any potential B&M stores that carry Grados? I live in the Seattle area if that helps.
My local audio store sells grados at about the same price as TTVJ. Take 10% off the MSRP.

As for stores in the Washington area, you may want to contact this store to see what grado equipment they carry http://www.definitive.com/

get some grado 225, akg 601, senn hd600 from headroom or ttyj try them all for 30 days and see what you like best. These models are know to be the sweetspots (well 501 & hd580 are argued as well). See if you like any of those house sounds for your music. Return all or none depending on what tastes. The hardest part about AT is they are mainly imported from japan so unless you got a friend's pair.

the closet comparison for the a900 from a readily avaiable US can would be the hd595. Its basically an open version the a900. Both have forward presentation meaning the music is closer to your ears, good boomy bass that is kinda muddy but you know its been cleaned up. Decent soundstage/image seperation/highs while the a900 does have a little recessed mids. I blame that on the design of closed cans because alot of cans exhibit that, not only closed AT cans. AT ~$200 each i give both a solid 8 in all areas.

i dont like akg house 501/601/701 sound, i find it too silblant. I hate that damn cobra commander ssssppeech. I dont like senn house sound either, too laid back, i feel like im a million miles away from the music and find myself pushing the earcups closer to my ears. I dont like grados cus they have bright piercing highs and are uncomfortable to wear. As for beyer, i like the dt770/880 but id like them to be more in your face. After trying those out, i naturally went Audio technica. IMO they still retain the aggressive in your face sound of grado without pinching yours, adding more pleasant bass, and the highs dont make your ears bleed.

so yeah i like Audio Technica/senn hd595/koss house sound ks-75/35/porta/sportapro in that order. I listen to 70% hiphop, rest rock,techno, jazz,r&b. I also love bass.

lol, I don't have the money to do something like that. I can only afford to buy one set of cans since that's all the money I have.

head to ur local head-fi meet. you get to hear every good can under the sun for free! I got my chance to listen to the $15k he90 /hev90 orpheus headphone/amp combo made by sennhieser.

FooTemps said:
lol, I don't have the money to do something like that. I can only afford to buy one set of cans since that's all the money I have.

Another alternative is buying used gear on forums and reselling if you don't like the cans. This is a good way to test out some cans and you don't have to worry too much about depreciating resale value.

strikeout said:
the closet comparison for the a900 from a readily avaiable US can would be the hd595. Its basically an open version the a900. Both have forward presentation meaning the music is closer to your ears, good boomy bass that is kinda muddy but you know its been cleaned up. Decent soundstage/image seperation/highs while the a900 does have a little recessed mids. I blame that on the design of closed cans because alot of cans exhibit that, not only closed AT cans. AT ~$200 each i give both a solid 8 in all areas.

That's pretty far from my experience with the two. Granted, I haven't had the A900 but the A700 instead. I wouldn't call the HD-595 to have a boomy bass at all. It's far from as heavy and dominant as the AT's. Different ears I suppose. :)

This may read like I am a bit of a HD-595 fan, but on the contrary, I can't stand them. ;)

Back