• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

general purpose 24"

balnazzar

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 13, 2013
Messages
121
I need a good 24" mainly for long development sessions and occasional gaming.

Requirements:
1. Absolute flickering-free (best if panel is not PWM-controlled), no eyestrain.
2. Good sharpness, good reproduction of small fonts.
3. Luminance uniformity
4. At least 3 digital inputs, of wich at least 1 displayport
5. usb hub
6. Low power draw
7. 1920x1200 16:10 or even 1920x1080 16:9
9. No buzzing from power supply.

Less important are color reproduction, responsiveness, etc.

Thanks ;)
 
I'm looking to benq EW2430... PVA Panel (less prone to dead pixel and banding), fair-priced, 3 digital inputs... Opinions?? Alternatives?

Dell 2413 is a bit overpriced, and seems that dell u2412 and hp ZR24 suffer for some flickering... Right?
 
Ok, I finally selected 3 models:

- Nec EA244WMi, IPS with light AG coating. Good reviews with some uniformity issue..
- Samsung SA850, PLS panel (It worths?)
- Benq GW2760HS, 27", a bit big, but good being not PWM-controlled.

Ok, I would like to get some feedback by someone that owns one of these...

Many thanks!
 
I have the NEC EA244WMi. I can't notice PWM, so it doesn't bother me. The PWM frequency is 266Hz. The right 1/3 of the screen is slightly darker than the rest. Everything else is great, high contrast, great responsiveness (both response time and input lag), and semi-glossy coating.
 
how do you guys deal with, or propose dealing with, the non-stop rotation on the NEC (which apparently doesn't give any indication for when it's horizontal or for portrait mode)? I've been pondering the same NEC and samsung models as the OP. But I keep thinking that the NEC's weird stand system is going to bother me. I guess I can be a little OCD about some things sometimes.
 
That doesn't seem worse to me than any other IPS. Keep in mind a lot depends on the camera settings.

That is WAY worse than any IPS/ PLS I have seen. Off the charts bad. At least with a dead on view my panels have zero light bends at the corners. That looks like 4-way bleeding AND insane glow. Wow. Hope that is just a defective unit.
 
how do you guys deal with, or propose dealing with, the non-stop rotation on the NEC (which apparently doesn't give any indication for when it's horizontal or for portrait mode)? I've been pondering the same NEC and samsung models as the OP. But I keep thinking that the NEC's weird stand system is going to bother me. I guess I can be a little OCD about some things sometimes.

Find something that stands up straight (say a book). Stand it up next to the left of the monitor, mark off where the monitor is. Match it on the right side.
 
I know im waiting for the benq 2760hs. Ive read some chinese reviews of it with google translate and seen some pictures of it. Colors are from what i read alittle less good vs IPS but I hope and think that the screen has lots of other benefits to IPS so that iit will be a better all around screen!
 
I'm afraid Nec is not the most uniform panel in the world.. :-/ I don't give a s**** to color reproduction, but glow hurts me plenty...
 
I know im waiting for the benq 2760hs. Ive read some chinese reviews of it with google translate and seen some pictures of it. Colors are from what i read alittle less good vs IPS but I hope and think that the screen has lots of other benefits to IPS so that iit will be a better all around screen!

Please list alleged benefits over IPS.

This BenQ attracts me, but is a bit too big for 1920x1080.
Also, with all due respect, I don't trust chinese reviews.

There is any non-PWM-controlled BenQ 24" VA panel???
Thanks.
 
Another (expensive) candidate found: Eizo EV2436W.
No PWM, good review by prad...

Anyone has seen it operational?

It is at borders of my wallet possibilities.
 
I currently own a dell U2311. It has heavy AG, and still I'm happy with it.

However, I found dell U2413 at the same price of Eizo. Now, the choice is not simple.

Dell or Eizo? Both at 450 euros...
 
I currently own a dell U2311. It has heavy AG, and still I'm happy with it.

However, I found dell U2413 at the same price of Eizo. Now, the choice is not simple.

Dell or Eizo? Both at 450 euros...

The Eizo EV2436 has the same panel than Dell U2412, but with a way better electronics (i.e. PWM free above 19% of brightness), a ton of features, a better quality control (made in Japan) and 5 years of warranty.

The Dell U2413 is wide gamut.

The choice is easy, do you need wide gamut? Go for the Dell. If not go for the Eizo.
 
The choice is easy, do you need wide gamut? Go for the Dell.

Sorry about butting in here since this isn't my thread. But could anyone explain this wide gamut thing to me? I don't get it. In another thread someone said wide gamut is actually worse for "ordinary users" who don't explicitly need it. Is that true? And what is wide gamut?? And who and why "needs" it? I'm quite certain that I fall into the don't need it category, or else I'm sure I would know all about it by now, but I'd like to be at least a little more informed. I'm glancing at wikipedia but I probably don't want to know all the technical details.
 
This wide gamut is a feature for realistic color reproduction. If you are not a graphics professional, and do a lot of phot editing, you do not need it.
 
The Eizo EV2436 has the same panel than Dell U2412, but with a way better electronics (i.e. PWM free above 19% of brightness), a ton of features, a better quality control (made in Japan) and 5 years of warranty.

The Dell U2413 is wide gamut.

The choice is easy, do you need wide gamut? Go for the Dell. If not go for the Eizo.

Ok, I agree about Eizo legendary quality control, features, etc. But I was unaware the panel is same as U2412.
According to reviews, U2412's panel is far from being great... :rolleyes:

I considered U2413 not for wide gamut, that I don't need, but thinking it have a better all-round panel (clouding, uniformity, etc). I'm wrong??

Also the Benq 27" is still in consideration: no pwm, cheap, and with good pixel pitch...

Another thing: were I can find comparative tables for diplay panel measurements? E.g., what is the height of a 24" 16:10 display compared to a 27" 16:9? :confused:

Thanks.
 
Ok, I agree about Eizo legendary quality control, features, etc. But I was unaware the panel is same as U2412.
According to reviews, U2412's panel is far from being great... :rolleyes:

Same panel is not same display. Implementation is everything. I'm not saying Dell sucks or anything. But why buy a Toyota when you can have the Lexus? Same chassis, right?
Eizo is world renowned best displays money can buy. Dell is more budget oriented but happen to hit it out of the park every so often with value price performance.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top