General OCing question...

mtbaird

Gawd
if i dont raise voltages and temps arent insane under Prime95 is there a way to damage my chip, or lets say kill the chip in a really short span of time?

well if you have 1.6v going to it and ur proc needs 1.65 your gonna hella error, or not b00t

In reality no. You might damage your ram for running it out of spec (assuming you oc enough to run your ram out of spec) but even this is VERY VERY highly unlikely. This also assumes your pci/agp bus clock is locked, like most nf2 boards.
There is always a chance though... but there is a low enough (almost nil) chance that I have personally offered to buy new proccessors for friends that think that me overclocking their PC will blow their chips. Never say never though.

One of the more common things that usually comes up when regarding this kind of light overclocking is: "It'll shorten the lifetime of the CPU."

I'll give those people credit where it's due, but be honest with yourself here.....look at how long a processor CAN last (many many 486's still up and running today) and tell me that you're actually gonna keep yours THAT long. Even if a person only upgrades their computer (or replaces it) once every 3-5 years.....CPUs have such a long lifetime that even if you were to (theoretically) cut it in half.....the damn thing would still outlive your use for it.

I really can't stand people that say I'm killing my computer by overclocking it.....they just don't understand. I'm not saying that it isn't possible to do so, far from it. All I'm saying that there are certain things you MUST know and certain precautionary steps you MUST take before overclocking but once these "guidelines" are followed there is such a slim chance that anything will happen in the long run that it's not even worth thinking about.

Everything in moderation folks, that's the key here. Don't be a hero and think your chip can handle that extra 100MHz.....it just might be what does you in. ;) :cool:

Back