General network question

towert7

2[H]4U
Hello all, i will be going to college in a few days, and i have a quick question.

Im pretty sure that the college uses a dynamic network, with DHCP.

Now, their network will already be an internal network.

My question is, i would like to host my own public server on their network (it does'nt have to be accessible to external people). Like a file server that i can access at class.

I have a router that i will be using so i can have 2 computers running, my main one and my server.

How does this work, with an internal network within an their internal network?
I would assume that the router will get an internal IP address, say... 172.16.0.200, and my router will make the 2 computers a new internal ip address... lets say 192.168.1.2 (desktop) and 192.168.1.3. (server)

So, would it just be as easy as forwarding port 21 and 80 to 192.168.1.3 (server), and when connecting to it threw class, just type in 172.16.0.200:21 ?

Also, is there anything else i should know, or have a heads up with?

I will be using a 4 year old Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router. ^_^

~Thanks

You've got the procedure precisely (doesn't matter how the univ is assigning IPs, they could easily be giving out public class A IPs as well).

The real question is whether
(1) the server is legal
(2) the router is legal

You'll have to check with your campus tech department on those.

Ah, glad to hear that, and yes, i have read their office of information technologies website, and they do not prohibit it. ^_^.

They give us 100mb on their public server, and that includes a free website (shared with the 100mb directory). I usually ploop a lot of papers and my website sometimes uses big audio files i create. So 100mb might go quickly, so if i could host the files myself, i would prefer it. At the moment, my current server i host uses 102mb of space ~_~, lol.

~Thanks a bunch

Your router will see the schools network as the internet and yes all you will have to do is forward the ports and it should work.

Back