General Maintenance Suggestions

Clear

Gawd
Alright, this all started with my usual babysitting job. I was babysitting, and their computer was having trouble getting on the internet. I spent the next 2-3 hours troubleshooting (it turns out they had a virus, I can't remember the name but it didn't allow them to connect to most major websites or any anti-virus website, however through some forums I found the solution.) Anyhow, I fixed their internet, updated their anti-virus, ran spybot / ad-aware, went through msconfig and disabled everything they probably never used, deleted temporary internet files / cookies, deleted lots of useless programs with add/remove software, and then defragged. Their computer ran about 10x faster by the time I was done with it, and I received a nice bonus. Anyhow, I told them that if any of their neighbors was having similar problems, they could spread my name, and so now I've gotten 3 other phone calls, two of which I have fixed so far.

I advise and order people Norton Internet Security if they don't already have an anti-virus / firewall as well.

Anyhow, my question is if anyone has any other suggestions as to good ways to speed up peoples computers and maintain them. Most of these people only use their comps for basic tasks, e-mail, web browsing, quicken maybe, etc...

other than what you have already done, to speed them up, add ram - make them put up the money to buy the ram and charge to install it.

cak said:
other than what you have already done, to speed them up, add ram - make them put up the money to buy the ram and charge to install it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I like it. :D

I find that using norton systemworks is a major help. especially with the Windoctor tool, it helps keep machines going strong. I usually tell people to go out and buy it, because I really think the whole systemworks package is pretty good.

Back