• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

General Headphone Questions

dentaku

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 27, 2004
Messages
130
Im looking to get a good set of headphones and Ive got a few questions:
Im looking at the audiotechnica a500 and the Sennheiser HD 485, but im also open to sugestions. Which of these would work best with my audigy 2zs? Im mainly looking to get these for gaming. Do either of these need an amp to be usable?

Right now I have a set of Sony Eggo MDR-D22s that I have been using because people were complaining that the 5.1s were too distracting. Is it a fair assumption that either of the phones listed above would be better than what I have?

Also when gaming with headphones what are the best settings for the audigy? I set the mode to headphone under the speaker settings and enables CMSS2 for help with positional audio but when I would rotate my character around in quake 4 the transitions of the sounds didnt seem smooth and even. It seemed to almost jump from one side to the other. Any help you guys could provide would be appreciated.
 
Nobody have any opinions on this im guessing. I should have taken my friends advice and put
!BOOBIES! or something in the title to get eveyones' attention
 
yeah, either of those would be better. The only Eggos really worth a crap for sound quality are the 66 and 77. You don't need an amp for either (in general, it's only high-end phones which really _need_ amps, low-end stuff tends to be low-impedence).
 
I didn't really like the AT500 for music (imo), but it might not be too bad for gaming.

I usually leave the audigy in 2.1 mode with all CMSS options off. Always thought they sounded weird in games.
 
Just about any headphones will sound better out of soundcard or portable player outputs if you use an amp, so you can more or less say that of _any_ headphones. But that doesn't mean you need one to get perfectly good sound. And it doesn't mean it's not worth buying good headphones even without an amp. So don't sweat it :)
 
Back
Top