• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

General cooling question...

Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
1,006
I have an HTPC which heats up my room quite a bit, and I want to minimize that heat.
Would I do this by adding fans to the system? Or would this just blow out more of the heat? How can I minimize the heat that is put out into the room?
 
Which case are you using? How many fans are currently in use?

Which processor are you running? Are you overclocking it?

Are you using the stock HSF or a third-party cooler?
 
I have an HTPC which heats up my room quite a bit, and I want to minimize that heat.
Would I do this by adding fans to the system? Or would this just blow out more of the heat? How can I minimize the heat that is put out into the room?

Depending on your system's configuration, the only way to keep the heat out of the room would be to keep the heat inside the HTPC to the point that the entire system might severely overheat itself (internal temps exceeding 90°C to 100°C), causing major damage to the internal components.
 
Depending on your system's configuration, the only way to keep the heat out of the room would be to keep the heat inside the HTPC to the point that the entire system might severely overheat itself (internal temps exceeding 90°C to 100°C), causing major damage to the internal components.


This.

And unless you start downclocking your components so they draw less power, heat won't be any less by adding more fans to the case. Maybe add fans in the room to get air out of the room.
 
Only way to reduce the heat going into the room is by reducing the power consumed by the computer. Cooling it any better won't do anything. Underclocking and undervolting and using a more efficient PSU will help you.

All that adding more fans or aftermarket heatsinks will do is move the heat into the room more efficiently. Won't make a bit of difference to how much heat is moved into the room.
 
Back
Top