Gen Host Process Win32 must close /no sound

Brav

Limp Gawd
I have encountered a strange problem. Recently I have been getting the following error, followed by my laptop hanging and can not shut down, but other apps appear to work. ctrl alt del wont work, etc.

Its a request to send an error report saying the following:

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Under see what data is included in the report, it has:
"Error signature
szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2180 szModName : unknown
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 596c16e2 "

And it is sending copies of the following files:
C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER805e.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER805e.dir00\appcompat.txt

I noticed that I have no sound, and audio drivers are gone. I went to dells website and downloaded and reinstalled, and have nothing.

How can I fix?

Is there anything you can work with from the Event Viewer? Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer and see if you can find anything in there that might relate to your problem. Most of the time you'll be able to Google (or use Google Groups) the Event ID, Error Code and Source to find solutions to your problems.

But in addition to Googling the Event ID, post it here so we can help you tackle the problem.

You might also want to run superantispyware and avira just in case. Svchost.exe could be compromised. If it is, you might be able to restore the original system files by running this command in Command Prompt:

sfc /scannow

I have encountered a strange problem. Recently I have been getting the following error, followed by my laptop hanging and can not shut down, but other apps appear to work. ctrl alt del wont work, etc.

Its a request to send an error report saying the following:

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Under see what data is included in the report, it has:
"Error signature
szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2180 szModName : unknown
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 596c16e2 "

And it is sending copies of the following files:
C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER805e.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER805e.dir00\appcompat.txt

I noticed that I have no sound, and audio drivers are gone. I went to dells website and downloaded and reinstalled, and have nothing.

How can I fix?

Did you accidentally disabled your audio service?

Are you getting 100% cpu spikes? If you are, you might be getting an access violation error. One more thing, does your Windows Update work? What recent new software did you installed that might be running as a service?

I ran spybot and Malwarebytes. Nothing unusual came up.

The audio drivers are updated but it says it can not find any actual hardware device in Device Manager.. the sys32 error has not come back recently, but still no sound.

Still need help with audio. Ive downloaded and reinstalled every audio device driver I could several times. I noticed that I can get sound from my Vonage USB softphone that uses headphones that plug into the usb drive itself. Headphones into the laptop dont work, and Itunes says playback is disabled or something like that. Wont even let me play a song. Also I went to System Services and checked Windows Audio service, and it was on Automatic, and started. So that was not the problem

Please help!

OK After some research, it seems like my problem might be the system file "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" which is attributed quite often to the "no audio device" problem where everything is grayed out. I am told to delete my audio drivers, but I can only delete 1 out of the 5 there. Also I can not delete the PnP Software Device Enumerator as instructed so that I can reinstall it. Uninstalling is not an option either..

TIA

Did you run windows update or microsoft update from the web site and install the latest version of the update program?
That error was seen frequently on older versions of MS update. A patch was released and a newer version of update software was release to fix the problem.
One thing you can try is temporarily turn off windows update service and see if the error stops. If so update the software and turn it back on.

I have all windows updates except for SP3.

Someone had success with doing a repair install so I went ahead with that. What a mistake.. didnt have my product code and couldnt get it to cancel or finish. Finally found a DOS based program to retrieve it, and finished the install. It was with an XP Pro disk and I had MCE. Now it wants me to reactivate the product, and connect via internet to do so, and it cant! alternative was to call customer serivce, but the numbers are blank! Now what can I do? I HATE MS!!

Back