GeForce Now Cloud Gaming Preview

I tried PSNow, which I guess is a similar idea. It was great that I was finally able to play Last of Us, but the input lag makes it worthless for many games

I tried PSNow, which I guess is a similar idea. It was great that I was finally able to play Last of Us, but the input lag makes it worthless for many games
Give it time and the RPCS3 emulator will be able to play that game. BTW, pay attention to the Vulkan API and its effects on emulation cause it makes miracles.

I wonder if this is the actual reason for nVidia cards to be so expensive.

If you can't sell someone a $700 card, then maybe you can make them pay $10 a month to pretend they have one.

So after playing a bit of Fortnight and having a fairly good experience, I played Wolfenstein II last night. It ran at 720p, and had a significant amount of latency with the controls. I would have suggested it would have played better than Fortnight, but did not.

Confused exactly what is beta...

I have a Shield and have used their subscription streaming service and the local streaming (both via Nvidia app and steam).

The streaming service worked well imo, though I did not play online shooters. Single player was pretty good, ran into odd issues here and there which usually was resolved by modifying the vsync settings. Sorta interesting the game options are all there to turn up/down quality etc.

Using the local streaming was sorta what you would expect from a "less used" add on feature. Games supported worked well, Shadows of Mordor was fun to play on the big screen TV etc. The list is small though and as you wold expect mostly fairly new 1-2 year old games.

Non supported apps are configurable but found as you would expect hit or miss. Usually full screen/resolution/scaling issues or the game won't close correctly, which prevents launching another. If you get that sorted the controller may not translate well ( Civ 5 but not surprised big complex game). I think I was about 50% success rate on these.

Steam local streaming was similar in results over all, I did find some games randomly worked better then Gforce Now.

The one thing I disliked about local streaming was even if it was remote, your PC was basically playing the game. If they could find a way to render in the back ground so the PC could be used for other things it would be more useful imo. I did try setting up a streaming PC, which could work but with steam family sharing the quit issues would lock up my library so I couldn't access games on my PC etc.

I tested about 10 games, mostly Lego games for my misses.

Gpus will be available again soon guys.. the difficulty is going to increase more and more to the point that no gpu is worth it anymore.

I have had my kids playing PUBG and Fortnite on a couple of laptops that do not have dedicated GPU's. They are certainly not pro's but they have felt like it works great. My LAN monitoring software says each PC pulls between 17 & 25Mbps while playing. Some input lag, but that is to be expected. The fact that it works so well is impressive.

Does not beat a dedicated card, but I don't have to upgrade their hardware. Wonder how much the service will cost per month.

So I just got into the beta, it's actually not bad. You feel a little bit of lag (equivalent to playing an online game where your ping is 150ms) but it's playable on a PVE game (ghost recon wildlands). I was able to play at 1080 on ultra everything. I think I mentioned that it would probably look like watching really high end game footage through youtube. This is exactly the case. You get the nicer graphics stuff like godrays, high detail shadows, hbao, etc... It all just looks grainy depending on how fast you're moving and what's going on. I have only tried it at work so far which is a 300mb/50mb connection and a 2560x1080 monitor and a gtx 1060. I'll try it again when I get home where I have 1gbps/1gbps and a 4k monitor.

edit: now that i think about it I could have measured the ping from task manager or something... I will do that in my next test as well.

Gpus will be available again soon guys.. the difficulty is going to increase more and more to the point that no gpu is worth it anymore.

You're making the assumption that the people buying the cards right now for $1300 can do math. Math/Finance isn't really taught in school anymore. Had a friend tell me he wanted to buy a litecoin miner for $1000 and said "I can make $700 a month". First of all he meant gross not net. 2nd it would only make a couple hundred a month net. 3rd he didn't take into account hash difficulty. So essentially the box would be profitable for 3 more months and he wouldn't even hit a positive payback.

I think our only hope is that NVIDIA either somehow massively increases production capacity or they make a "gaming line" that just can't mine coins.

I have been beta testing it too.. It definitely is going to be good for people without dedicated hardware.

But for someone like me with twin 1080tis 3440x LCDs and 240hz panels .... It feels so horrible in comparison.

Back