Geforce GTX 780 get hot fast and throttle FPS

nero78

n00b
I have just bought a GTX 780. When i play a gpu intensive game like Tomb Raider (2013) my card rockets to 80C in 1-2 minutes and ofc stays there. But the fan doesent speed up much. I cant hear it. I also get around 60fps until 80 degrees and then it drops to 55'ish. I know that is because of gpu boost 2.0 right?

But should it get so hot that fast? And shouldnt the fan speed up more?

I have installed precision x 4.2.0 and set the gpu target temp to 85 and even 90 and then it speeds up, but never go over 82-83 degrees.

In short. Should my 780 rush up to 80 in a couple of minutes and is it normal to loose so many frames? And why doesent the fan speed up to cool moore? (This is with stock options, no gpu tweaking or altering temp target)

PS! I have put my card to 85C now and had tomb raider on for 2 hours and it stays on 79-80C and with more fan and no FPS drop. Is this a bug somewhere?

I have the ACX cooler on mine, but it (even overclocked) runs around 70C during repeated Heaven runs. That sounds like you have an issue with heatsink contact, too much/little thermal paste, or a fan that isn't working, especially if you can't hear it. Even the quiet ACX cooler starts making detectable noise as it ramps up, I'm assuming you have the blower-style cooler?

Try downloading EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner and manually crank up the fan and see if it spins up.

Check GPU usage, temps, and fan speed with Afterburner.
Make sure you have proper airflow
What are your ambiant temperatures?

This is GPU Boost 2.0 working as expected. High boost until 80C (60FPS), hits 80C and drops clocks (but not fan speed, because Nvidia has quiet fan profiles) and then you lose the FPS. Change the fan speed curve with Afterburner if you want more performance.

I have the ACX cooler on mine, but it (even overclocked) runs around 70C during repeated Heaven runs. That sounds like you have an issue with heatsink contact, too much/little thermal paste, or a fan that isn't working, especially if you can't hear it. Even the quiet ACX cooler starts making detectable noise as it ramps up, I'm assuming you have the blower-style cooler?

Try downloading EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner and manually crank up the fan and see if it spins up.

It spins up with the evga app. And it spins up automatically, but not like hearable. When i put the temp target to 90C the fan spins up so i can hear it.

One of the features with the 7xx series is quitesness so i think nvidia focuses on 80C and with low fan noise. Perhaps thats why?

the ACx cooler states that it's 15% cooler så thats perhaps why yours is at 70c and mine 80c. 10'ish% should be realistic.

This is GPU Boost 2.0 working as expected. High boost until 80C (60FPS), hits 80C and drops clocks (but not fan speed, because Nvidia has quiet fan profiles) and then you lose the FPS. Change the fan speed curve with Afterburner if you want more performance.

Ah ok. But should it go up to 80c that fast?

Sounds like you might have poor airflow in your case but 80c is perfectly normal for a reference cooler. If it gets there faster, it just means you might have poor airflow in your case. As long as its not reaching 90+ temps, then I'm sure the card is just fine

Just checked now and with EVGA presicion fan control the gpu temp is about 67C at full load with fan speed 65'ish%. Seem to stay there.

But with stock nvidia profile the temp is 80C and fan 52%. So nvidia puts quiet (good for my ears hehe) before temp then...

I have just bought a GTX 780. When i play a gpu intensive game like Tomb Raider (2013) my card rockets to 80C in 1-2 minutes and ofc stays there. But the fan doesent speed up much. I cant hear it. I also get around 60fps until 80 degrees and then it drops to 55'ish. I know that is because of gpu boost 2.0 right?

But should it get so hot that fast? And shouldnt the fan speed up more?

I have installed precision x 4.2.0 and set the gpu target temp to 85 and even 90 and then it speeds up, but never go over 82-83 degrees.

Crank up the fan speed via PrecisionX - there's an option to create your own fan speed curve. I have mine set to 80% when it approaches 70 degrees. Repeated heaven benchmark runs (overclocked) don't push my 780 above 72 degrees which is crazy for a stock blower.

As an aside, I had a 580 and didn't get the 680 thinking it wouldn't be that much of an increase. This 780 when overclocked, is almost perfectly twice as fast as my overclocked 580 on the heaven benchmarks - crazy!

My Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce OC gets up to around 70 degrees under full load, but the fans kick in and it never gets any higher. However, even at that temp the fans are almost silent. I have to really stick my head up next to my case to hear them. That is the main reason I bought that graphics card. Based on the reviews the tri-fan configuration is supposed to prevent the card from reaching 80 degrees and then throttling. Hopefully it will continue to work that way during the dog days of summer.

My Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce OC gets up to around 70 degrees under full load, but the fans kick in and it never gets any higher. However, even at that temp the fans are almost silent. I have to really stick my head up next to my case to hear them. That is the main reason I bought that graphics card. Based on the reviews the tri-fan configuration is supposed to prevent the card from reaching 80 degrees and then throttling. Hopefully it will continue to work that way during the dog days of summer.

As long as you have good exaust flow then it should work perfectly. If you dont have good flow then the card will just push the hot air around the case keeping the card hot.

Just checked now and with EVGA presicion fan control the gpu temp is about 67C at full load with fan speed 65'ish%. Seem to stay there.

But with stock nvidia profile the temp is 80C and fan 52%. So nvidia puts quiet (good for my ears hehe) before temp then...

yes if you put in target of 80c (nvidia stock i believe) it will try to maintain that therefore slowing the fans down when faced with little load or low oc

Back