GeForce GTX 465 problem?

Mundar

n00b
I bought the EVGA GeForce GTX465 SC edition off of Amazon in December of 2010. I have not yet been able to play a video game or even watch a movie on my PC. I am currently on my third card, for I have RMA'd twice because of this problem. I called support and they said that my PC should be completely fine to run this card. I previously had the GeForce 8800GTS and it still works perfectly in my system while the 465GTX sits in its box on my floor. Could this third card possibly have a problem just like the other two? Or could it possibly be my own system? This is a very frustrating issue that I would like to resolve before I build my box this month. Help?

Current system:

CPU: Intel Core2 6600 2.4GHz
Motherboard: Intel DG9650T
PSU: Thermaltake 700W
GPU: GeForce 8800GTS
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake TMG i2
RAM: 4GB

Last edited:
explain the problems you are having and then we can try to narrow it down to the card or the system. though i really hope that cpu's overclocked otherwise i feel sorry for that GTX 465 so much wasted performance.

This is the last time I am going to post the work around about this:

INSTALL AN OLDER CARD IN AN UNUSED PCI-E SLOT, then the new card will work perfrectly.
I'm convinced a batch of x58 chips have PCI-E problems that only the new nvidia cards seem to be effected by. Installing a card that is not effected cures the problem and allows the new card to function properly.

In short, stick your 8800 back in and dedicate it to physics while using your new card for graphics duty. EVGA tech support is well aware of this workaround but they refuse to acknowledge it for some reason.

Um he's not using an X58 chipset. He is using a G965 chipset on that board.

Um he's not using an X58 chipset. He is using a G965 chipset on that board.

Hmm...I wonder if the problem may not be limited to x58 then. Anyway, the workaround is worth a shot here too.

Sorry about the no info.. But what had happened with the first card I purchased was when I launched Battle Bad Company 2 it would be very very slow in the menus. I used FRAPS to clock the FPS and it was between 1-5 FPS on the splash screen and main menu. When attempting to connect to a server it would only show 0-1 FPS and would eventually crash the game. Also, while attempting to watch a movie on my PC, it would lag the video and skip around. No, it was not the download, it would happen on every movie I would try. I RMA'd the card and what I got in return was even worse. It would produce artifacts on my desktop when I rollover anything with an animation (system tray). It was even worse in video games. I RMA'd again and got back a card that seems to have the same problem as my original card; slow performance, freezing, unable to watch movies, as well as the extremely low frames per second. I tried the first and second cards in my roommates computer and it did the same to his PC. I am beginning to think it is my PC that can't handle this card? I am still using my 8800GTS because it works better than a card that is supposedly about 3 times better. Should I just RMA for a third time? Is there a limit to how many times you can RMA?

Did you put try putting the new card in while the old card was installed? That may cure the problem (did for me and many others).

Smilar problem and my solution:
I was having similar problems and it was driving me crazy trying to troubleshoot it. I would be playing a game and all would be fine and then the FPS would drop dramatically. I finally realized that my stock EVGA GTX465 SC was overheating. It was getting to around 80-90 degrees Celsius and did not function properly (while playing a game). I am running a resolution of 2560x1600.

I downloaded PRECISION (video software from EVGA that allows you to set the fan speed, and overclock too if you wish). The fan on the card was set to default at 40%, so I played with it until I was happy with a 75% fan speed and and my FPS went back up and stayed stable.

I had never had a video card overheat on me so it was driving me crazy trying to figure it out. Now that I did, it make sense and I will know to keep any eye out for that in the future.

I hope this helps your issue.

I have seen similar issues for menu screens. The next time you boot up on a steam game pull up a command prompt first. Once you have it up, type "ping google.com -t" without the "" and press enter. This will start a continuous ping. Start up the game. If the game starts to stutter take note of what your ping is and report back.

I built a new computer and the video card works fine. Maybe the PCI-e versions were different between motherboards. Who knows, but I'm glad it works now!

Back