GeForce GTX 1080: Most Bizarre Secret Paper Launch Ever @ [H]

THREE WEEKS AGO. I don't see why this is hard to understand.

That's exactly what I'm saying. When they launched, you could guy them at MSRP....I'm really not understanding how you people are so confused. I bought 4 of them ON launch day AT MSRP.

So....what is the issue here.....

That's exactly what I'm saying. When they launched, you could guy them at MSRP....I'm really not understanding how you people are so confused. I bought 4 of them ON launch day AT MSRP.

So....what is the issue here.....

I think you need to figure that one out yourself...just think about the DAY Kyle wrote that and what he and some of us consider a paper launch...think about the issue a little harder. What is a paper launch is up for debate but that is one issue you are not going to solve personally.

I think you need to figure that one out yourself...just think about the DAY Kyle wrote that and what he and some of us consider a paper launch...think about the issue a little harder. What is a paper launch is up for debate but that is one issue you are not going to solve personally.

I don't consider it a paper launch either as NVIDIA specified when the card would be available. It would've been a paper launch if they told reviewers the card would be available right as the NDA lifted and there was no inventory to be seen but that wasn't the case. I'm not a proponent of the way NVIDIA handled this either and have been advocating a return to availability of inventory the day NDA is lifted. However, NVIDIA has decided on a different course and I think that is what we should expect. AMD on the other hand plans to launch R480 on June 29th and have it available in stores so at least they're doing something right.

Would it make a difference if it was referred to as a "Product Announcement" instead of a "Product Launch"? So maybe this is all down to semantics?

At least it isn't as bad as AMD's Fury launch and their inability to provide review samples to "some sites" as well as not have a firm launch date (if I recall correctly).

Would it make a difference if it was referred to as a "Product Announcement" instead of a "Product Launch"? So maybe this is all down to semantics?

Isn't that pretty much how all tech companies roll these days anyway? I mean the next iPhone isn't exactly available the moment Apple announces it.

If you announce a product and nobody can buy it the next business day, it's a paper launch.

Now there are some good reasons to do this; it gives review sites time to do a thorough review before the actual launch, and it builds up anticipation for your product. And yes, it's pretty common these days. But it's still a paper launch if nobody can actually purchase the product.

If you announce a product and nobody can buy it the next business day, it's a paper launch.

Now there are some good reasons to do this; it gives review sites time to do a thorough review before the actual launch, and it builds up anticipation for your product. And yes, it's pretty common these days. But it's still a paper launch if nobody can actually purchase the product.

I think this is becoming a semantics argument. The last newly announced tech product I bought at release before these 1080s was the Surface Book. It was announced October 6th with availability on October 26th. I preordered and it was delivered to my doorstep on the 26th. To me that's not at all paper launch. If someone tells me that within a few weeks time the exact day I'll get the product and if there are preorders, that's a real, hard launch with simply getting distribution, promotion and reviews in place. I don't see how one would be able even launch something like a Surface Book and keep it under wraps if it has to be in the retail channel the very day its first announced.

Now if I'm told I can buy a product on a certain date or preorder it and have it on a certain date and then next to nobody gets next to nothing on that day, no brick and mortar nor online sales, that's what I'd call a paper launch.

Your definition is simply not what it's always meant. A paper launch is when you talk up a product but don't ship it until later, plain and simple. It's so common these days that maybe that definition isn't important anymore. Your definition is more meaningful in 2016, for sure.

New tech formally introduced, reviews written, benchmarks released, yet no cards available for consumer purchases equals paper launch. Hech, when actual availability was confusing for most of that day if I remember correctly. So if AMD does it and they are a couple weeks after the announcement but they give a date you're OK with that, correct? You guys sure are forgiving the last couple of years.

You know, it turns out consumers will tolerate a great deal more mistreatment than you might expect. Look at F2P games and day one DLC. You'd think there would be riots in the streets, torches and pitchforks, the whole shebang. But no, people swallow that shit and ask for more.

I don't have a problem with a company releasing a new product to reviewers under NDA and giving them time to get the review done before it's released to the masses. If a company only wants to release talking notes and pictures with no hardware to reviewers and then expects reviewers to wax poetic over said (lack of) hardware, that's when I think raking over the coals and pitchforks are reasonable alternatives. :cat:

That's actually what AMD just did. They flew everybody (except [H]) to Macau, wined and dined them, and then they left without hardware.

Its official. NVIDIA CALLED IT 980 TIE. All of you that like to give people shit over the the pronunciantion being "Tea Eye" can now politely get bent.

Baldy said it.

And damn, they weren't expecting these hard questions haha. The one guy holding the card had a "uuuhhh uhhhh fuckfuckfuck" look on his face when Kyle was asking him questions haha. Well played Sir Bennett.

Fine, it's a 980TIE, but dammit, the Graphics Interchange Format will ALWAYS be a GIF (hard "G") to me, NOT a JIF!

Whatever video card(s actually, as I have to buy two for two systems) I end up buying, it's going to be based on actual hardware in actual reputable [H]ands; not marketing points from the vendor, not interpretations of talking points by reviewers, but actual hardware reviews from sites I trust. Whether or not it's a paper launch or not is not going to matter to me in the slightest. But that's just my own opinion. Obviously, every one else has their own criteria and opinions.

I think it's unfair of you to call this a "paper launch"...My brother ordered a Cyberpower gaming PC from Best Buy and it's going to be delivered tomorrow, with a non-Founders edition GTX1080 installed. This is just a few weeks from the announcement. That doesn't say "paper launch" to me!

By your own admission, it's been "a few weeks". You just disproved your own point.

Fine, it's a 980TIE, but dammit, the Graphics Interchange Format will ALWAYS be a GIF (hard "G") to me, NOT a JIF!

I hear, "Moms like you choose Jif." every time someone mispronounces that acronym.

I think it's unfair of you to call this a "paper launch"...My brother ordered a Cyberpower gaming PC from Best Buy and it's going to be delivered tomorrow, with a non-Founders edition GTX1080 installed. This is just a few weeks from the announcement. That doesn't say "paper launch" to me!
I think you need to go back to your safe space and thanks for 100% proving my point. Product announced/launched/whatever.....no hardware for sale = PAPER LAUNCH.

FWIW, all the folks that went apeshit over this headline, AMD Radeon R9 Nano - AMD Radeon R9 Nano Video Card PAPER Launch , AMD PR representatives actually used those exact words and called it a "paper launch" when talking to journalists.

You know, it turns out consumers will tolerate a great deal more mistreatment than you might expect. Look at F2P games and day one DLC. You'd think there would be riots in the streets, torches and pitchforks, the whole shebang. But no, people swallow that shit and ask for more.

Riots and pitchforks because people expect to be compensated for their labor?

Consumers are being "mistreated" by having a product announcement two weeks prior to availability?

Entitled much?

Labor compensation? Wherever did you read that?

And yes, I do feel paper launches are generally negative for consumers. Not entirely, but generally.

Labor compensation? Wherever did you read that?

And yes, I do feel paper launches are generally negative for consumers. Not entirely, but generally.

I feel different, if there are reviews weeks before the launch, it is greatly welcome as it provide information for consumers in their purchase decisions.

Back